your thoughts on pocketdish av500e

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

victory13

Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Virginia
I'm considering purchasing the AV500E, and want to hear from any of you who have it. Would you recommend it, pros, cons, etc. Any problems w/the screen "freezing" during play? I hate to spend that much $ on it if it's a piece of crap. thanks for any advice :D

I've been looking at the AV500E too. The AV700E is a better value, but it's hardly what I consider to be a "Pocketdish"...more like a BriefcaseDish. The vast majority of posts regarding the Pocketdish on this forum have been extremely favorable; the Pocketdish works as advertised and you don't have to pay anything additional to take your programming on the road. In my case, I spend three hours on the road in Beltway traffic (M-F) and would love to have an AV500E...if I only had a way to project these images onto my windshield.:eek:

Got to test an AV700E. Loved it but wished it was smaller for the bus. The Av500E should be perfect...

When you dump a program from DVR to the PocketDish, I assume the program remains on the DVR. So you don't "reload" from the PD to the DVR if you want it on large screen again, without plugging the PD into a TV and playing.

Correct?

I have the 500 and love it . It fits nicely in your pocket; the 700 is too big for that .

navychop said:
When you dump a program from DVR to the PocketDish, I assume the program remains on the DVR. So you don't "reload" from the PD to the DVR if you want it on large screen again, without plugging the PD into a TV and playing.

Correct?

The movie stays on the DVR.

victory13 said:
I'm considering purchasing the AV500E, and want to hear from any of you who have it. Would you recommend it, pros, cons, etc. Any problems w/the screen "freezing" during play? I hate to spend that much $ on it if it's a piece of crap. thanks for any advice :D

I travel a lot by plane (every week) so i got a 402E and it was great, but the pic was small. My wife just got me the 500 and I love it. So it does not play games, but the pic quality is great and it is still portable. I just wish they would upgrade the hard drive sized. There is no reason for a device as big as the Pocket Dishes shoud have such tiny drives. The Archos versions have much larger disk spaces. My solution...I have a .5 ounce USB 100gb hard drive. I store programs on there and when I need more programs to watch I just hook it up to the pocket dish and watch it off of the USB drive. You can't pause it though...but you can transfer it to the pocket dish and then detach it.

GO with the 500 out of all of them. IMHO

Yea, I purchased the av500e and it works great. The only problem that I have with it is that you can't copy HD to it and that is about 80% that I record to the DVR. Suck, but I gotta record directly to the pocketdish via S-Video, which is not close to HD, but it still looks good. Just sucks that I gotta sit through the program to record.

jetjock said:
Anyone know if it is possible to put a larger hard drive into a pocket dish unit?

Sorry, there is an Archos forum that has been trying. Starting with these units, Archos has made it impossible to do it. The hard disk is somehow mated. The older units that Archos had were upgradable, but not anymore.

jc

External Drive for Pocket Dish AV500E

kfried001 said:
disk spaces. My solution...I have a .5 ounce USB 100gb hard drive. I store programs on there and when I need more programs to watch I just hook it up to the pocket dish and watch it off of the USB drive. You can't pause it though...but you can transfer it to the pocket dish and then detach it.

I have purchased the Pocket Dish AV500E and love it. Only problem, it only has 30gb. I've seen many references to people who have used a 100gb or similar portable type drive to extend its storage capability. Anybody able to give me a brand or type that will work and be recognized with the PD AV500E?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts