YouTube crashes all sound on Hopper 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dick VH

Original poster
Mar 12, 2021
Boston area
We have an ethernet-connected Hopper 3 with the current H310 software. When (trying) to watch YouTube we have periodic instances where we lose all Hopper audio, every channel. Every day, multiple times depending on usage. No other issues on the Hopper - doesn't happen on Netflix. The Samsung TV still has sound. Only way to restore sound is to reboot the Hopper.

I've seen other comments on this here and on Reddit - some going back over a year. Any idea of a solution? Change a setting somewhere? Possible HDMI cable issue? Has this been escalated at Dish? Dish Tier 1 support tried resetting the YouTube app to defaults - didn't change a thing... I can't believe with the popularity of YouTube this wouldn't be affecting a lot of customers.

Thanks!

It is honestly fairly common for that to happen, unfortunately. There is no setting you can adjust to fix it...it is a bug somewhere either with the Hopper YT app itself, or something in how the app interacts with the H3. Like you've found, only thing to get the sound back is to reboot the H3.

Though I'm fairly confident that Dish has been made aware of the bug, as long as it had been happening, it clearly isn't something very high on the priority list for Dish (or possibly YouTube) to get it resolved. Sadly, the best bet if you use the YT app that frequently is to look at an external solution, be it using the app on your SmartTV (if your model of Samsung offers it) or something like a Roku, Firestick, or similar.

I have two H3's installed, one of them works like a charm, the other one will sometimes (like, 1 out of 20 times) crash while exiting the youtube app (screen remains black and unresponsive) until I do a red button reset. They are both refurb units, one from dish and the other (the one that works well) from ebay. So there is definitely something weird with the H3-YTB app. Rarely use Netflix/Prime either.

I posted about this right after one of the last updates when it started for me. Long since all three: Netflix, Prime & YouTube all have their own problems. Which are mostly crashing both my H3s.

• Sad
Reactions: charlesrshell
I have HWS and I have never been able to get sound from the Youtube app on anything other than the TV. As Dick VH stated, Netflix works just fine thru my sound system.
I called and wasted about 30 minutes with a rep that had me restore my Youtube app to original settings, pull power plug on receiver---standard fare. That did nothing, so they said they would elevate the issue so someone could check it out. That's been almost 2 years ago.

Something is wonky with the YouTube app. My latest is I re-seated and plugged-in the HDMI cable at the Hopper 3 and moved it to the unused HDMI-ARC input on my Samsung TV. No Hopper / YouTube sound issues in the past week or so. Really strange. Was using a 13 GHz / 4K HDMI cable (Amazon Basics). I've had odd hard-to-pin down problems in the past with these cables which seemed resolved when I replaced them with certified MonoPrice cables. I'm going to try I replacing the existing cable with a certified one, connect to the former HDMI-1 port and see if the issue stays resolved. I don't understand why a flakey HDMI cable could cause a Hopper sound crash. I'll post back in a few weeks what the permanent resolution was.

Something is wonky with the YouTube app. My latest is I re-seated and plugged-in the HDMI cable at the Hopper 3 and moved it to the unused HDMI-ARC input on my Samsung TV. No Hopper / YouTube sound issues in the past week or so. Really strange. Was using a 13 GHz / 4K HDMI cable (Amazon Basics). I've had odd hard-to-pin down problems in the past with these cables which seemed resolved when I replaced them with certified MonoPrice cables. I'm going to try I replacing the existing cable with a certified one, connect to the former HDMI-1 port and see if the issue stays resolved. I don't understand why a flakey HDMI cable could cause a Hopper sound crash. I'll post back in a few weeks what the permanent resolution was.
My HWS is connected to my sound system via optical cable.

Reactions: SandFarmer
Further follow-up. Issue is the Hopper 3 YouTube app started regularly crashing all sound on the Hopper requiring a reboot. (see above) For the heck of it I tried moving the Hopper HDMI cable to another input on my Samsung QN43Q6DR - the unused HDMI-ARC input. For some reason this "fixed" the issue and the YouTube sound was solid - no crashes. I suspected a HDMI cable issue so replaced the Hopper cable with a Monoprice 13 GHz certified cable and reconnected to the HDMI-1 input. YouTube sound quit and crashed the Hopper in the first few hours. Reconnected to the HDMI-ARC input and no issues for a a couple weeks. Totally wonky and not a clue why this happens only with the Hopper YouTube app (Netflix and Amazon Prime never any issues) - but since this works I'm leaving it alone. Posting this so if anyone else is having problems with the YouTube app they can try this. Might possibly be a Samsung-unique HDMI anomaly.

DITTO! (just posted about this here). I have used Monoprice cables for ages and they were the first to really push HDMI Certified and Holographically labeled cables. But they also have "uncertified" cabling that is touted in the description as certified. Make sure the cable has the Holographic Certification label.

HDMICertLabel.jpg

or the below QR Scan return:

HSHDMILabelScanResults.jpg

Thanks for the tip Charles - The cable used is a Monoprice product #15428 - which is Certified Premium. Between this and the DishAnywhere tablet issues over the past few months (now 99% resolved) I had about had it... Everything's working again - until they break it.

As of today YouTube comes up, shows me my library and whatnot. But when I select a video after it's suppose to play the screen goes black and either I have to back out or just hold down the Back button until I'm back in the D¡SH UI. It'll stay black until I do something.

UPDATE: Things got really good for a while and now I'm back to every so often I lose audio while moving around in YT and have to reboot. But I am also having problems when switching my AVR off and using the H3 on passthrough to my TV at night. I have to turn Dolby Audio "Off", then back "On" then the audio comes back.

I went in and did the basic reset of the apps and whatnot and that may have been the brief respite. But things are going wonky again.

• Wow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)