YouTube TV is now the #4 Video Provider for the United States

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Today, Neal Mohan, YouTube’s Chief Executive Officer, released his 2024 priorities for the service. In that letter, he also announced that YouTube TV now has 8 million subscribers, making it the largest live TV streaming service.

“We’re also seeing growing consumer interest in our subscription services. We’re excited to announce that we have more than 8 million subscribers to YouTube TV.

Some points

It only took 7 years to overtake a video provider that has been providing service for almost 28 years.

It is now, roughly, 1.3 Million ahead of Dish Network, as of Dish’s 3rd quarter, who has not released it’s 4th Quarter report yet.

YTTV has gained over 3 million subscribers since it acquired NFLST.

At this rate of gains for YTTV and DirecTV’s losses, it will overtake all of DirecTV (stream, by internet, uverse, satellite) and be the number 3 video provider by the end of 2024, might of already eclipsed DirecTV by satellite, the entire DirecTV is a tad under 11 Million subs.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Our last day as a YTTV sub was today, but will be back for the NFL. I expect that to be my typical cycle for now, consider the pre-order perks of NFLST otherwise NFLST+YTTV during football season. We'll see if there are any value propositions enticing enough to disrupt that.

Our last day as a YTTV sub was today, but will be back for the NFL. I expect that to be my typical cycle for now, consider the pre-order perks of NFLST otherwise NFLST+YTTV during football season. We'll see if there are any value propositions enticing enough to disrupt that.
Mine also, which makes this kinda funny.

As I have pointed out so many times, there just is no value to it, when I can get all the same content from paid Live TV via Hulu/Disney/ESPN+, Paramount+, Peacock, a lot more in the exclusive streaming content, plus HBO/Showtime and now CNN, better quality, 4K, no commercials, all for under $70 a month, no brainer.

I will be back for the last time this September, for College/NFL Football, then ESPN goes streaming in early 2025, will only need ST via YouTube for 2025 Season.

I don't personally have a need for locals except for news, and i don't watch it regularly and can just get it from their websites and a variety of other sources on demand.

Cancelling a number of other services as well this month and will selectively renew as content warrants it, with Prime being the anchor now instead of YTTV for the ancillary subscriptions like Max.

How do you guys get your locals in the "offseason"? I mean, if you're not getting them OTA
Paramount(CBS)/Peacock(NBC)has our locals live on the services.

I also have OTA, but I never watch live except news on CNN and sports.

When those services has the shows on next day in 1080P/DD+ sound ( some shows are now in 4K also next day), it is just like having a better quality DVR you do not need to FF thru commercials.

The majority of Cable Shows are next day also, for example, FX shows are next day on Hulu, usually in 4K.

Mine also, which makes this kinda funny.

As I have pointed out so many times, there just is no value to it, when I can get all the same content from paid Live TV via Hulu/Disney/ESPN+, Paramount+, Peacock, a lot more in the exclusive streaming content, plus HBO/Showtime and now CNN, better quality, 4K, no commercials, all for under $70 a month, no brainer.

I will be back for the last time this September, for College/NFL Football, then ESPN goes streaming in early 2025, will only need ST via YouTube for 2025 Season.
You could have already done that .... ST was available via YT this year.

YTTV is a glorified Cable Company, just like some of the others.
The ones your talking about going to is actual Streaming.

Technically, they are both being streamed .. I know
Just a different format.

You could have already done that .... ST was available via YT this year.
Of course I know that, would not help with College Football, but after this season, ESPN will be streaming and Fox Sports ( which includes Big Ten Channel) is trying to partner with a streaming service.
YTTV is a glorified Cable Company, just like some of the others.
Yes it is, but since the vast majority of content is on streaming services, kind of idiotic to pay for it, when I already pay for Paramount+ and the rest of them.
The ones your talking about going to is actual Streaming.
Yep, again the vast majority of content from Paid Live TV, all the streaming exclusives, for under $70 a month, the problem with just Paid Live TV is you do not get the streaming shows, with the actual Streaming, as you phrased it, you get both.
Technically, they are both being streamed .. I know
Just a different format.
And it is wonderful.

Reactions: Jimbo and meStevo
Of course I know that, would not help with College Football, but after this season, ESPN will be streaming and Fox Sports ( which includes Big Ten Channel) is trying to partner with a streaming service.

Yes it is, but since the vast majority of content is on streaming services, kind of idiotic to pay for it, when I already pay for Paramount+ and the rest of them.

Yep, again the vast majority of content from Paid Live TV, all the streaming exclusives, for under $70 a month, the problem with just Paid Live TV is you do not get the streaming shows, with the actual Streaming, as you phrased it, you get both.

And it is wonderful.
Yes, If I had YTTV (I may eventually) ... I would not also have Paramount Plus ... However, I don't think any of the other Apps I use would be duplicated on YTTV ... So, I'd save there, even though I got a Great deal on it.
Then again, like you said, you would get the PP streaming shows, not just the CBS channel.

Yes, If I had YTTV (I may eventually) ... I would not also have Paramount Plus ... However, I don't think any of the other Apps I use would be duplicated on YTTV ... So, I'd save there, even though I got a Great deal on it.
Then again, like you said, you would get the PP streaming shows, not just the CBS channel.
If you read the big news about the new sports service, you might not believe having YTTV or any other live service a big deal.

My last day was Feb 2, 24 and it's because the video quality doesn't compare to Directv Stream. I am back with Directv Stream and I don't mind paying more for better video quality. YTTV picture quality is very unstable. Especially watching sports.

My last day was Feb 2, 24 and it's because the video quality doesn't compare to Directv Stream. I am back with Directv Stream and I don't mind paying more for better video quality. YTTV picture quality is very unstable. Especially watching sports.
Wow, Really ....

Most would tell you (or have you believe) that Streaming automatically makes it better than D* or Cable or anything else.

Are you saying that all Streaming isn't the same pristine picture ???

Wow, Really ....

Most would tell you (or have you believe) that Streaming automatically makes it better than D* or Cable or anything else.

He wrote he is going back to Stream, so obviously he believes streaming is better then Cable/Satellite, he wrote Stream is better then YTTV, not Traditional Satellite is better.

And streaming is better picture quality, specially on services like Paramount+/Peacock, which gives us a true 1080P picture, not a upconverted one like YTTV does.

Wow, Really ....

Yes that is exactly what I am saying, During the evening prime time the quality drops down. And Ido have a very solid Fiber 1000mbps connection. You can definitely tell the difference. YTTV started using the VP9 video and they are having a lot of issue with it. Check this article.
YouTube TV's New Enhanced 1080p Is Experiencing a Bug But Will Be Back Soon | Cord Cutters News

Well I am surprised we haven't heard that there will be another price hike, since they are #4 provider now. This is usually when we hear of price hikes and it will only go up each year like it did with cable and satellite.

Well I am surprised we haven't heard that there will be another price hike, since they are #4 provider now. This is usually when we hear of price hikes and it will only go up each year like it did with cable and satellite.

I'm not, they've only increased their price 4? times in 7 years. Regular adjustments help prevent sticker shock when it happens though unless you can more reliably balance costs over time to defer consumer-facing adjustments.

Comcast, Charter and DirecTV goes up twice a year.

YTTV has only had 3 increases since it started in 2017.

1st increase, when it went to $50, then $65, then $73.

Which is still about $40-50 less then the basic packages( and YTTV has more channels then that) from Dish/DirecTV.

YouTube TV, the fast-growing virtual multichannel video programming distributor, is expected to post a profit for the first time in 2024, according to analyst Michael Nathanson of MoffettNathanson.

Nathanson sees YouTube TV having operating income of $200 million in 2024, following a loss of $300 million in 2023. He sees net income continuing to rise, hitting $600 million in 2026.

"At the current levels of decline [of cable and satellite subs], YouTube TV is on a clear path to becoming the largest pay-TV provider in the United States. “

Last edited:
Yes that is exactly what I am saying, During the evening prime time the quality drops down. And Ido have a very solid Fiber 1000mbps connection. You can definitely tell the difference. YTTV started using the VP9 video and they are having a lot of issue with it. Check this article.
YouTube TV's New Enhanced 1080p Is Experiencing a Bug But Will Be Back Soon | Cord Cutters News
My Sister whom I got started with YTTV, because she wanted to cheapen her Cable bill ...
Is saying that the YTTV picture is great sometime, while not very good at other times.
Shes saying she gets like a haze over the picture, if its something she can get over the Antenna she'll watch it that way and its crystal clear.

I haven't seen it yet, she says the picture will get a greenish/blue cast to it.
Any one else having that kind of issue ?

Comcast, Charter and DirecTV goes up twice a year.

YTTV has only had 3 increases since it started in 2017.

1st increase, when it went to $50, then $65, then $73.

Which is still about $40-50 less then the basic packages( and YTTV has more channels then that) from Dish/DirecTV.
WAIT a minute .....
D* has gone up 2x a year 1 time ...
We do not know that, that will continue.

D* Normally goes up in Jan/Feb ....

We'll see.

I've been with them for 20 years now, last year was the only time thats happened.