YouTube TV or Hulu+ Live

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
So I’ve been a Dish customer for the past 20+ years and have been happy with them for the most part. Their Hopper DVR is absolutely the best in the business. But when they lost ESPN over this past weekend I started looking at some streaming options. I subscribed to the 21 day free trial with YTTV to get me through the college football weekend and it turns out it’s a pretty good service. The picture quality seems to be much better than Dish. I’m not that crazy with how the DVR works. I would much rather be able to record one episode or all new episodes instead of digging through all of the episodes it records. The guide will need getting used to as well (I’ve been dealing with channel numbers for 20years). But I’m seriously considering cancelling Dish and going with YTTV. But I’m curious how it compares to Hulu+ Live TV. I know with Hulu I can bundle Disney+ and ESPN+. But I already receive those services for free through my Verizon plan (along with regular Hulu). Has anyone had both? I would love to hear the pros and cons of each service. Is the DVR more user friendly? Can you see a difference in picture quality between the two? Does one have a better 4K offering than the other?

I personally liked YTTV better when I tried both. The integration of Hulu's on-demand content with DVR recordings made even less sense to me than how YTTV does it. PQ was equivalent at the time. My brother has Hulu+Live and quite likes it though, and my parents are probably going to switch to Hulu+Live to get away from Spectrum cable, mostly because my brother can help them if they have a problem.

Have you checked to see if you can do a trial of Hulu+Live, so you can compare yourself?

That would be great. But I looked online and didn’t see any options for a free trial.
There is not one.

Now, I have YTTV, it is the best bargain considering the better picture and sound, also no DVR or Box fees ( up to 3 TVs watching at the same time, but I have it activated in all 11 rooms that have a TV in it).

I tried Hulu Live, picture was close but YTTV was better, sound was also, did not get Dolby Digital+ on the Live Channels on Hulu, guide was a lot better on YTTV, DVR was better, only get 2 TVs on Hulu Live also.

While it would save me about $10 to switch to Hulu Live ( because I get the bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+), YTTV is the superior service.

Also, I do not know if this a big deal, Hulu does not have AMC but does have the A&E Channels, YTTV has AMC, no A&E Channels.

Any new service has a learning curve, after a few weeks you will be fine and kicking yourself why you did not do this sooner, could of saved a lot of money.

My wife had Parkinson’s and memory issues, she figured out how to use it with the Roku.

Reactions: ncted
That would be great. But I looked online and didn’t see any options for a free trial.
They change up their promotions periodically. Looks like they are offering a discount for the first three months, but that ends today. Maybe check again tomorrow? I know they had a free week promo sometime in early September.

I’m not that crazy with how the DVR works. I would much rather be able to record one episode or all new episodes instead of digging through all of the episodes it records. The guide will need getting used to as well (I’ve been dealing with channel numbers for 20years).

I don’t think anyone likes YTTV’s DVR for what you mentioned and you can’t delete shows. Odd implementation. But, I’m not sure about the need for a DVR with on demand streaming, except skipping commercials, if you’re allowed.

As for the guide, it’s fully customizable. Move preferred channels to the top of the list. You may have to do this on your phone or computer as my recollection was you couldn’t do it in the Apple TV app (it’s been a while, that may have changed). Most streaming hardware remotes don’t have the ability to enter channel numbers anyway.

Reactions: ncted
I tried Hulu Live, picture was close but YTTV was better, sound was also, did not get Dolby Digital+ on the Live Channels on Hulu, guide was a lot better on YTTV, DVR was better, only get 2 TVs on Hulu Live also.

I’m curious why you liked the YTTV DVR better than Hulu? I read online that with Hulu you can record just 1 episode or new episodes. Which I think would be a plus over YTTV. So what is the negative with the Hulu DVR.

I really like the service and picture quality of YTTV. But coming from a Dish Hopper (best DVR in the business), the YTTV DVR has been a little frustrating.

I’m curious why you liked the YTTV DVR better than Hulu? I read online that with Hulu you can record just 1 episode or new episodes. Which I think would be a plus over YTTV. So what is the negative with the Hulu DVR.

I really like the service and picture quality of YTTV. But coming from a Dish Hopper (best DVR in the business), the YTTV DVR has been a little frustrating.
Found it easy to use, that is it, Add to Library, done.

But I don’t use it at all anymore, prefer to watch all the shows on their streaming services, for example, CBS Shows on Paramount+ since everything is in, at least, 1080P/Dolby Digital+ and now some in 4K.

Same for Fox/FX shows on Hulu, now a few of them are in 4K, not the liveTV version, the On Demand.

I also only get the Commercial Free Services, so has made the DVR on YTTV quite redundant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 10)