YouTube TV & TiVo Roamio

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cpalmer2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
United States
I discovered something unusual last night while playing with the new YouTube TV app. When I went into it on my iPad I noticed the "Cast" icon was highlighted. I clicked on it and it gave me the option to "Cast" YouTube TV to either my Romaio w/ Cablecard or my Roamio OTA model. I clicked the cast icon and it opened up a YouTube TV app on my TiVo. The splash screen had the YouTube TV logo, and when it loaded I was able to navigate and view any channels with my remote on the TiVo independent of the iPad.

How exactly this works/occurred is a mystery though. I checked the TiVo "Apps" screen under channels and there is no YouTube TV app there. The regular YouTube app also has no feature to watch YouTube TV. Apparently the only way to launch this feature is by using the "Cast" button in the app, but once it is launched it appears it works on the TiVo independently.

Anyone else tried this or see the same? Maybe I'm just missing something obvious?

Reactions: madmadworld
My Tivo Roamio has had a Youtube app built in since I bought it, and that was back in 2014... I use it all the time, straight from my Tivo.

Or you are talking about the new live tv subscription Youtube? That only works via CAST methods so far. It has to be cast from a device, to a Chromecast device. Apparently, they must have a way for the Tivo to emulate a Chromecast device.

I’m talking about the Live TV service. That’s the strange thing though, this isn’t a true “cast” as it has an entirely different looking app on the TiVo. The catch is the only current way to open it is the cast option. After that you can exit the app on the iPad and it continues to work fine on the TiVo though

I’ll post some images tonight

I’m talking about the Live TV service. That’s the strange thing though, this isn’t a true “cast” as it has an entirely different looking app on the TiVo. The catch is the only current way to open it is the cast option. After that you can exit the app on the iPad and it continues to work fine on the TiVo though

I’ll post some images tonight

Well, might be odd looking, but I think it's awesome! If I ever decide to go to Youtube Live, I'll be all set.

Well I came home tonight and there is no sign of the “cast” icon I saw last night. Not sure if they were testing something or what but it is gone :-(

Well I came home tonight and there is no sign of the “cast” icon I saw last night. Not sure if they were testing something or what but it is gone :-(
I've noticed that the roku will do this as well, despite not having a YouTube TV app.

When you cast, it does open into the same TV app as the dedicated app on my Xbox one and the LG TV

As to the cast option being gone, it's a bug in the app.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling. Worked for me last night.

The tivo is a castable device for YouTube, so not totally surprising.
That's true, however the a main youtube app and the YouTube TV app are two totally different apps.

That it loads into an app that looks exactly like the TV app that isn't even available on the device is a little confusing.

I started playing with this You Tube TV over the weekend with their "free trial". In the process, I discovered that my Samsung TV already has the YouTube TV app installed (which makes using this service very convenient).....I'm not sure yet what I will do, but I am seriously considering cutting the cord and dropping my Dish.

Anyone still doing this? I'm trying to cast to my OTA Romaio and the app is only giving me the option to cast to my chromecast. Wish this would work for me. Hoping tivo will give us YouTube TV with an upgrade

Reactions: madmadworld

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)