Zenith Compression Coax Connectors & Tool

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
I recently started using Zenith's quad-shielded, swept to 2.2 GHz, RG-6 coax for my various video transmission lines at my house. I also bought into Zenith's compression connector tool.

Well, I love the connectors and on Zenith's premade sections they are bulletproof. But, the DIYS connector tool doesn't. I'm stuck with a bag of these connectors I can't use because each of 2 Zenith compression tools I got at Lowes failed on the first fitting install (threads in thread block strip when fitting is about 90% installed.

So the purpose of this post is to first let the world know that the Zenith compression tool for their coax compression fittings is a POS. The return guy at Lowes also noted a high return rate of these tools at his store.

Secondly, is there another compression tool I can use with these fittings that will work, but cost under $50? I only do a hand full of connections in a year, so I don't need the best tool made. I just need it to work in light duty service. Any suggestions?

Similar, but better experience

Carl B said:
...(threads in thread block strip when fitting is about 90% installed.

So the purpose of this post is to first let the world know that the Zenith compression tool for their coax compression fittings is a POS. The return guy at Lowes also noted a high return rate of these tools at his store.

Secondly, is there another compression tool I can use with these fittings that will work, but cost under $50? I only do a hand full of connections in a year, so I don't need the best tool made. I just need it to work in light duty service. Any suggestions?

I, too, went to Lowe's and bought the cable and connectors. My first also stripped, although I (admittedly) cranked it down too tightly. My second I did not, and have used repeatedly with great (albeit slow, and painful) success.
However, I would have preferred a professional crimping tool, which I could not find on a weekend in my area.

However, recently I was looking online at starkelectronics, and they had the right tool for ~$55. However, I no longer need it, so I cannot argue its usefulness. I will also say that my brother used to pull cable professionally, and he had such a tool. However, the ends he used were at least 1/4" an possibly 3/8" shorter than the Zenith compression ends. They may or may not even work in the $55 tool...

Gentleman -

I have also purchased 2 of the Zenith crimp tools and I agree that they are crap. The connectors are awesome which is why it is such an irony that the only tool available from Zenith is so pathetic. They must be loosing insane amounts of money on loss of sales due to that tool.

There are several ratcheting "plyer-type" tools available on the internet ranging from $40 to over $100. I have not chosen one yet but when I do, I will pass on my opinion.

Thanks for your input.

There seems to be a pattern with people who have used the tool. I to purchased the tool, but mine lasted about 14 compressions before it gave way. I think that if they had used a coarser thread in a harder material they could have had a better product. But instead they use the cheap soft stuff with way too fine of a thread. The connectors themselves seem to be of excellent quality, but for the price they had better be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)