ZigBee?

iKramerica

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Just a quick question. If the Dish Remotes use the ZigBee protocol, will remote range be extended by installing ZigBee devices that act as repeaters?

Has anyone had success doing this?

I broadcast my Hopper 3 and Joey 3 throughout the house, and the Hopper has better remote range due to the external antenna. In our old house I attached a splitter to that antenna input and wired it to an RG6 outlet and then put another antenna across the house which helped. The Joey doesn’t have this option.

Also, in terms of range, the 40.0 signal is much stronger than the 52.0 on the fringe. Not sure about the 54.0. When hooked to a Joey the 40.0 can reach 20 feet away through 2 walls and 1 floor, while the 52.0 has trouble 10 feet away through 1 wall.

First, I've heard they used Zigbee, but if they do, you might be able to use a Conbee stick and DeConz to try to find them and their addresses. If they can be added to the Conbee controller as an endpoint, then by definition, they all can act as relays.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Some other threads mention they use ZigBee which means the theoretical max number of remotes you can link to one hopper is in the thousands but the hopper software probably couldn’t and who would test that? I do know I successfully linked 8 remotes to the hopper 3 without issue.

With Zigbee being replaced by Matter, will this affect our current Echo devices? Our Dish remotes?
Nope... current remotes and receivers will work the same.

I do hear however that we could see Bluetooth Remotes available for the Android TV platform in the future. The voice features are supposed to work much better with Bluetooth then UHF.

I do hear however that we could see Bluetooth Remotes available for the Android TV platform in the future. The voice features are supposed to work much better with Bluetooth then UHF.
It would cut down the range depending on implementation. But the voice command, something I doubt use, would work better.

I found this in a press release from 12 years ago:
- ZigBee RF4CE using a proprietary protocol remote with “remote control finder” alert

Do you know Scott if the ZigBee implementation in the Dish Hopper/Joeys works with the broader ZigBee echo system in terms of repeaters or does it completely hide from other devices?

It would cut down the range depending on implementation. But the voice command, something I doubt use, would work better.

I found this in a press release from 12 years ago:
- ZigBee RF4CE using a proprietary protocol remote with “remote control finder” alert

Do you know Scott if the ZigBee implementation in the Dish Hopper/Joeys works with the broader ZigBee echo system in terms of repeaters or does it completely hide from other devices?