2015 Dish Price Increase

Look,I'm not going to single dish out,been with them for roughly 12 years,been pretty well satisfied with them during that time.But,in the last few years I have lost the I love Dish feeling.Constant increases and channel disputes,legal battles,are getting tiresome,and way too expensive.And its not just me,there are many others that are getting the same feeling.So I have retired my dish pom poms,and am closer now more than ever,of pulling the plug I've maintained for the last couple of years that the tv bubble is about to burst,and it gets closer everyday.Is it the fault dish solely,no,but at some point folks only have so much to spend for tv.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Merge 120 and 200 into Package A
Merge 250 and BB@H into Package B
AEP has everything including MS
RSNs not included in any base package

Package A: $60
Package B: $70
AEP: $120
Multisport: $10
HBO/Cinamax bundle: Priced at the HBO Go Price
Showtime: $15
Starz: $15
Encore: $5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: foghorn2
Gotta love this time of year... along with this yearly thread. I just keep humming the Clash song "Should I stay or should I go".. Currently $166+ for my lone HWS/AEP. Come March it will be what it is..

In 2016:
AT130 $64.99, Hopper fee $13.00, Joe fee: $8.00, 4K fee $10.00
AT130 $74.99, Hopper fee $14.00, Joe and 4K same.
Welcome pack $29.99, HBO $24.99, Cinemax $19.99...
By then I might have to drop it entirely if it goes up that much. Hbo I will not buy full price and haven't had it without credits off or FREE for 3 months. But reorganizing the packs in to smaller packs that cost less might be a good way to combat some of these increases. As usual the DISH fees are theirs to increase as they like ,since they created them and can charge it ,because they can.

Look,I'm not going to single dish out,been with them for roughly 12 years,been pretty well satisfied with them during that time.But,in the last few years I have lost the I love Dish feeling.Constant increases and channel disputes,legal battles,are getting tiresome,and way too expensive.And its not just me,there are many others that are getting the same feeling.So I have retired my dish pom poms,and am closer now more than ever,of pulling the plug I've maintained for the last couple of years that the tv bubble is about to burst,and it gets closer everyday.Is it the fault dish solely,no,but at some point folks only have so much to spend for tv.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
:amen Brother , :amen

Dish needs to find a way to dump half the channels in the Top 120, keeping as many of the most popular ones that they can. Try to find a way to offer it for $39.99. This to me is one of the only ways to keep the majority of everyone happy.

Merge 120 and 200 into Package A
Merge 250 and BB@H into Package B
AEP has everything including MS
RSNs not included in any base package

Package A: $60
Package B: $70
AEP: $120

Multisport: $10
HBO/Cinamax bundle: Priced at the HBO Go Price
Showtime: $15
Starz: $15
Encore: $5

Just to understand, the at200 is already the 120 with more channels. Your solution is to lower the cost of the 200, but say they are combining packs. The seperation is already there to help for those that can't afford the 200. You want them to add more to the AT250 and AEP, but you want them to lower the prices $20 on the 250 and $7 on the AEP? This doesn't make sense.
I know everyone wants to save money, but adding more and lowering the price is never going to happen.
What @Scherrman said would be more likely, if possible, to drop fillers, and keep some name channels, to lower the price.
Another way we could get our bills lowered would be if everyone stopped asking for ridiculous credits and freebies. Once in awhile is fine, but there are to many customers that feel their bill should be credited permanently, and not pay for what they are asking for. I know the response is going to be "well why wouldn't I want to save on m bill", which you should always want to save. The problem is when such a large number of people do it, everyone's price is going to go up, and then after your credits go into effect, you're going to be paying what the company wanted initially. It all has to do with the majority of customers, and I'm willing to be aged between 18-35, feel entitled. We are an entitled generation, and not thankful for the things we have. Everyone bitches about the price increases, but how many have stopped and thought about how our actions are a direct result of the increases. Currently, AT250 is 79.99, in 2011 at the price freeze it was $64.99. One of the most common credits is a $15x6/10 months. Strange how that puts the price back to what dish charge initially. I understand costs go up on programming, but this "give me give me give me" has increased so much, that these increases have had to sky rocket also, beyond inflation.

Guys, when reading answers to my posts I read them carefully. Some of you keep changing what I was answering to trying to make a point I was never addressing.
My answer was to the post saying DISH and Direct have become the expensive equivalent of At&t and Verizon. I correctly pointed out DISH is not the expensive alternative GIVEN THOSE PARAMETERS. Not that DISH like all providers have not become expensive. With all the bellyaching about DISH fees, I am paying much less with DISH than I would with Direct TV and certainly with Charter. I have little doubt less than most Cable choices.

It isn't a matter of Pom Pom but of actual numbers of what it costs. As has been said so many times, if you go the Hopper route the cost is much closer to Direct TV (Still much less than Charter) but if you stay with the still very good VIP series the savings are there to be had over other providers.

ChadT41,
I suspect the number of people that ask for discounts is relatively small. But reading here and at DBStalk you get the impression many are doing it, and many of us at these sites do. We are a small percentage of the customer base though.

It isn't a matter of Pom Pom but of actual numbers of what it costs. As has been said so many times, if you go the Hopper route the cost is much closer to Direct TV (Still much less than Charter) but if you stay with the still very good VIP series the savings are there to be had over other providers.
*Gives 722k a hug*

Single receiver (especially the VIPs) homes do well with Dish.

I suspect the number of people that ask for discounts is relatively small.
Almost no one does it. I listen to people bitch and complain about the cost of their internet, cable TV, etc, etc and I ask them "what did they say when you called and asked for a better rate or discount?" and they most they can respond with is, "huh?". I remember one specific case with Time Warner - I had called and told them the rate was too high and I would switch to satellite unless they could help out. They cut the rate in half ! Within days or maybe a week or two, a co-worker was talking about how expensive Time Warner was and I told my recent story. They didn't believe it, said they "don't want to call", and so on. I asked a couple of times over the course of weeks if they even did and nope, didn't happen...

ChadT41,
I suspect the number of people that ask for discounts is relatively small. But reading here and at DBStalk you get the impression many are doing it, and many of us at these sites do. We are a small percentage of the customer base though.
After working in the call centers, I saw 10's of thousands of accounts, and I would say easily he vast majority had continuous credits or promotions in place of credits on a regular basis. That from the agent side, and he supervisor side. Then talking with the loyalty teams(might as well change their name to team credit) and reading the BBB websites complaints, that number increases more. They really are not as minority as you think.

Single Hoppers aren't too shabby either!

If the VOD was a little better for the cable type channels, and/or the cable type channels reran some of the most popular a bit more, I could get along quite well with a single HWS

Reactions: Tampa8
After working in the call centers, I saw 10's of thousands of accounts, and I would say easily he vast majority had continuous credits or promotions in place of credits on a regular basis. That from the agent side, and he supervisor side. Then talking with the loyalty teams(might as well change their name to team credit) and reading the BBB websites complaints, that number increases more. They really are not as minority as you think.
I hope you realize that "10's of thousands" is a fairly small percentage out of the what, 14 Million subs?

If 50 thousand out of 14 million ask, that is only about 3.5% of the subscriber base.

It's a good indication though. I get that what I saw were a small percentage of overall customers, but when you hear the same thing from most of the employees, and they have seen just as much, 4000x that 10's of thousands makes up a larger percentage.

It's a good indication though. I get that what I saw were a small percentage of overall customers, but when you hear the same thing from most of the employees, and they have seen just as much, 4000x that 10's of thousands makes up a larger percentage.

If the loyalty and complaint discounts were numerous enough to actually impact bottom line, DISH would not give them out like candy. It would not make business sense if it actually hurt - the frequenters of this forum and those who would call up a CSR because they miss CNN are a speed bump for Charlie and Co.

You're right. It won't affect bottom dollar, because as stated, dish will ultimately(and all the providers) raise prices to make up for it. I'm not saying this is the only reason orices go up, I am saying that it is definitely a contributing factor, though.

Gotta love this time of year... along with this yearly thread. I just keep humming the Clash song "Should I stay or should I go".. Currently $166+ for my lone HWS/AEP. Come March it will be what it is..
Why not trim some of that fat? Sounds like you're on AEP? Do you really watch all the premiums? Going to 250 p,us the few you do watch will be cheaper

Just to understand, the at200 is already the 120 with more channels. Your solution is to lower the cost of the 200, but say they are combining packs. The seperation is already there to help for those that can't afford the 200. You want them to add more to the AT250 and AEP, but you want them to lower the prices $20 on the 250 and $7 on the AEP? This doesn't make sense.
Package A will be what AT200 is now BUT without the local RSNs.
Package B is 250 plus BB@H minus the local RSNs
AEP will be cheaper because HBO will be what they charge for streaming only (reports say $15) as it would look bad to charge more than that.

DISH has had a price increase just about every year for the last 10 years. There was a year where we had a "price freeze" in 2010, but then the receiver fees increased instead. .

And dont forget Dish did the $5 increase the year before the "freeze", then $5 the year after the "freeze" whereas in previous years it was only $2 or $3 a year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)