722 is crashing every time I attempt to scan for locals

danb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I'm not sure what the deal is here. I've unplugged receiver and tried the hard reboot. Yet every time I try to scan for locals it crashes the receiver. Any one else go through this issue?

I have not heard of this issue. I assume the antenna connection is ok though. It is possible the "stinger" in the coax connected to the OTA tuner could be bent and causing a short, or the OTA tuner is not so happy.

When you say it crashes, does it just reset or does it show an error? Or does it just freeze?

I'm not sure what the deal is here. I've unplugged receiver and tried the hard reboot. Yet every time I try to scan for locals it crashes the receiver. Any one else go through this issue?

Thanks for the response Tony. This seems strange but tonight I have a different problem. It allowed me to scan locals. It came up with 8 total. I deleted 5 that I did not care about. So that left me with three that I could view. I was getting signal strengths in the mid to high 70's for all of them. Well when the receiver was set and ready for viewing none of the locals were coming in. Even after repositioning the antenna several times still nada. Also the remote is acting very funny. It will not respond at times and other times there is a big delay after I hit a button and the receiver responds. Also take for example I hit 140 to go to espn. Well that 140 won't even show up on the display it will just take me to 140 and then the on screen display will pop up real quick and go away. Something tells me when I'm hooking up the ota antenna it's making the receiver go nuts. I forgot to mention what I mean by crashes. Right after I tried to scan for locals it would basically shut down for several minutes. It would not power up when commanded to. And then it would go through updates for a while longer before becoming functional again.

Last edited:
You now appear to have two issues. The newest issue is easiest to explain. When you have an antenna attached and locals scanned in, if one that you were watching, or are recording loses the signal, the receiver thinks the satellite lost the signal, and that is what you are seeing. A way to help make sure that does not happen if you have a weak OTA station, is to go to a satellite channel, after it comes on, go to another satellite channel. Meaning that way, the last chanel you were on was not an OTA channel.

The first problem could be a problem with the antenna, possibly a grounding issue? Do you have another antenna to try, using a different coax, even an indoor one, that you can try just to see if it at least lets the receiver scan for locals? (Or also try a different coax with the antenna you are now using?) If you can get at least on local with that antenna see how the receiver works with it. If everything seems to work, it very possibly is the antenna/wiring you are now using.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)