Another DISH Football Fight

All both parties had to do was honor the original contract. In the original contract, Jersey and Maryland were not BTN states, and thus with Rutgers and Maryland entering the B10, they could have easily said that the existing contract prevents them from showing the channel to residents of those states unless they subscribe to Multipack. That stance would have given Dish more money in the short term than putting up a fight over rates, so I believe it is Fox pushing the envelope, not the other way around.

All both parties had to do was honor the original contract. In the original contract, Jersey and Maryland were not BTN states, and thus with Rutgers and Maryland entering the B10, they could have easily said that the existing contract prevents them from showing the channel to residents of those states unless they subscribe to Multipack. That stance would have given Dish more money in the short term than putting up a fight over rates, so I believe it is Fox pushing the envelope, not the other way around.

Well, this was all handled much better when Nebraska joined the Big 10. Nebraska was quickly added as a state that automatically gets BTN as a RSN. That being said, New Jersey has about 8 times as many residents as Nebraska so Dish would have taken a much smaller hit.

So, not to go all conspiracy nuts on this, but now that the Conference Cartels have their own channels, is it in their interest to pluck colleges in different markets to draw up the prime-rate viewers? Why else have Rutgers in the Big Ten?

This is the underlying issue. Dish agreed to a particular prime and non-prime rate for the channel, under the premise that the number of subs in the prime-rate areas was relatively static. BTN then goes out and expands that area into a pretty large market, which greatly increases the number of prime-rate subs. If Dish knew that, they may have originally settled for a lower prime-rate. BTN changed the rules of the game after the fact, not Dish.

IMO, this is just another front in the Fox/Dish war. Everyone with common sense knew that the Big 10 was going to expand east. And the Big 10 isn't alone in expanding their geographic footprint. Eventually we'll end up with four or five 16 team super conferences. Doesn't this company have anyone that pays attention to college sports? What will Dish do if Syracuse and Boston College join the Big 10, drop BTN?

And you would complain if Dish paid what Fox wanted and raised your rates accordingly.

I have seen several comments like this but no one can give a good reason why Dish doesn't charge lower rates in states like New Jersey that don't get RSNs. We keep hearing how much sports impact our bills but Dish charges New Jersey customers for RSNs just like everyone else, yet they don't provide them with any. New Jersey customers should have been getting reduced price packages all these years.

I don't see how they can justify talking about how much RSNs cost and then charge the same price whether they provide them or not. Now that Dish finally carries a RSN for New Jersey they should provide it to them or reduce their prices.

Are they blacking out just New Jersey or is this a national multisport issue?

IMO, this is just another front in the Fox/Dish war. Everyone with common sense knew that the Big 10 was going to expand east. And the Big 10 isn't alone in expanding their geographic footprint. Eventually we'll end up with four or five 16 team super conferences. Doesn't this company have anyone that pays attention to college sports? What will Dish do if Syracuse and Boston College join the Big 10, drop BTN?

Ask for a refund elsewhere because the same games won't be on another Fox channel anymore.

I have seen several comments like this but no one can give a good reason why Dish doesn't charge lower rates in states like New Jersey that don't get RSNs.
Fair enough. Yet with this specific issue, New Jersey isn't the only state involved.

Fair enough. Yet with this specific issue, New Jersey isn't the only state involved.

Dish could easily give BTN to NJ subs (who have no RSN that they're paying for) and continue this dispute over Maryland subs. But they decided to include NJ in the dispute.

You said the teams.. Now follow closely.. Rutgers chancellor is appointed by the governor..the Chancellor helps negotiate the contract.. So yes the greed of the state of nj is responsible for this outage...the truth I'd ole Charlie is a skinflint tight was who only cares a bout making money for himself and gives two cents about his customers or he would not have passed the 14 million customer mark 6 times,.3 going up and 3 going down

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Ok so you pointed out that the chain of command within the state of NJ is who owns whole responsibility in this dispute. Why is Charlie being held responsible? You say it's Charlie who only cares about making money for himself. Now follow closely Juan. Show me an individual or group of individuals that start a business without the intent of making money for themselves,their families, and stockholders/investors(aside from charities that is)?

As being a Dish subscriber for over 15 years Charlie has always said he would negotiate the best deal he can so as to keep customer prices down and he has been consistent in saying he would not just pay whatever a provider demanded,unlike cable companies.

Ok so you pointed out that the chain of command within the state of NJ is who owns whole responsibility in this dispute. Why is Charlie being held responsible? You say it's Charlie who only cares about making money for himself. Now follow closely Juan. Show me an individual or group of individuals that start a business without the intent of making money for themselves,their families, and stockholders/investors(aside from charities that is)?

As being a Dish subscriber for over 15 years Charlie has always said he would negotiate the best deal he can so as to keep customer prices down and he has been consistent in saying he would not just pay whatever a provider demanded,unlike cable companies.
Then drop my price..I have no rsnd

Then drop my price..I have no rsnd

Welcome to the world of being bundled. What about someone like me. I could care less if they yanked every sports station. I have to pay for it because the providers,not the retransmission businesses seem to demand its all or none. So for the benefit of all subscribers we all pay even if we do not want a certain channel or series of channels.

I don't really get worked up about it because I realize we all are paying for channels that we have no use for. I like old movies, I like TCM. But I know from a past thread there are those who don't want the channel. But the system is the system,currently. Now if we ever get to the point where we can pick only the channels we want and you are being charged for a channel you pay for and not getting, I'll stand right along side you and say its not fair and needs to be addressed immediately.

Welcome to the world of being bundled. What about someone like me. I could care less if they yanked every sports station. I have to pay for it because the providers,not the retransmission businesses seem to demand its all or none. So for the benefit of all subscribers we all pay even if we do not want a certain channel or series of channels.

I don't really get worked up about it because I realize we all are paying for channels that we have no use for. I like old movies, I like TCM. But I know from a past thread there are those who don't want the channel. But the system is the system,currently. Now if we ever get to the point where we can pick only the channels we want and you are being charged for a channel you pay for and not getting, I'll stand right along side you and say its not fair and needs to be addressed immediately.
Excuse me..dish dropped the rsn's..put the extra profit in their pocket and still raised prices..they should give a credit for areas that have no sports..

Excuse me..dish dropped the rsn's..put the extra profit in their pocket and still raised prices..they should give a credit for areas that have no sports..

So Dish's price increase was RSN's? If that's true I want my money back. Don't need them, don't want them, so as per your logic I should get my money back.

Now personally I think Dish should provide an alternate RSN if "your area" RSN gets greedy which seems to be the case of NJ. Then you should direct your displeasure to NJ and the universities involved. Tell them because you can't get your RSN you should not have to pay your state taxes so as to offset your loss. Tell them they are just pocketing the profits,...err....taxes.

I just think your anger is misdirected here. And remember, a business with no profits will eventually have no business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts