BluRay: Early adopters should've expected to get screwed...

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
Blu-ray: Early adopters knew what they were getting into

Now that they've basically won the format wars, the arrogance starts.

Basically, anyone who buys a standalone player other than the PS3 is buying obsolete technology. Nice.

Sony found a way to knife its' allies AND a different division within their own firm with this one....

Sorry, still bitter that the more user-friendly format got shot in the back of the head by Warner. Way to let the consumers decide. I hope you get buried in HD DVD Harry Potter returns.

Is this what we have to look forward to now that HD-DVD lost? Former HD-DVD supporters picking on Blu-Ray out of spite?

I saw this comment earlier this week. Very arrogant indeed and it's exactly why anyone who talked to me about BD was told to steer clear of stand-alones if there were ever going to be interested in anything more than just the movie itself.

Early adopters take risks, boohoo. Just like people who invest in the wrong format :eek:
Yep and seriously, the issue should not be with BDA, but retailers (Bestbuy etc) who were less than forthcoming with info and some downright lies at times.

As for the wrong format, well, in the last few days, I've easily and cheaply almost tripled my HD DVD library and I think I'll be enjoying the wrong format for quite some time right along side my 2 PS3's and my ever growing BD library.

Yep and seriously, the issue should not be with BDA, but retailers (Bestbuy etc) who were less than forthcoming with info and some downright lies at times.

As for the wrong format, well, in the last few days, I've easily and cheaply almost tripled my HD DVD library and I think I'll be enjoying the wrong format for quite some time right along side my 2 PS3's and my ever growing BD library.

I just threw the wrong format comment to mess with some of these guys.

I did the research when I bought the POS Sammy 1000 for $600, I knew what I was getting into.

I see it from two sides, you should research something before you buy, BUT retailers should be honest. That being said, I rarely trust anything that comes out of a BB or CCity salesmans mouth.

I wonder if anyone here can state what the commission is on a BD vs HDDVD player? Im sure theyd push BD for commission.

It's not like a ton of people haven't been saying ALL ALONG that the early players (for EITHER format) were of limited lifespan as the feature sets and HDMI hardware were still evolving, and that the consoles (again, for EITHER format) represented the safest bets for upgradability.

Kick yourself for not listening then...Sony didn't just make this stuff up, the writing has been on the wall, on the web, in various podcasts and in more than a few magazines for some time.

I have thrown out my first couple DVD players... They were expensive pieces of junk too. Bad remotes, trouble tracking discs, trouble reading discs, etc.

I just threw the wrong format comment to mess with some of these guys.

I see it from two sides, you should research something before you buy, BUT retailers should be honest. That being said, I rarely trust anything that comes out of a BB or CCity salesmans mouth.

I wonder if anyone here can state what the commission is on a BD vs HDDVD player? Im sure theyd push BD for commission.

I know you were just kidding with the format thing. I'm just still bragging on my 38 movies for $283 shipped (had to add the HD DVD of DVE to the total). Everyday is a new batch of movies arriving.

Retailer wise, I've just heard some outright lies at retailers on BD and HD DVD. BestBuy being one of the worst locally.

Comission wise, I don't think overall profit margin is great on BD or HD DVD players for retailers, but movies on both sides have got to have some nice gravy.

I still have my first 3 DVD players. RCA, Proscan, Pioneer. RCA optical out is crapped out, but that is about it.

My dad is still using the first DVD player i purchased a sony s330.

and i suspect that i will be using my BSP-S1 for a long time as well (expecialy since it was built by Pioneer).. not very interested in IME so no big deal for me...

as a matter afact the only reson i hooked my HD-A2 to the internet was the first upgrade to 2.5 and that was it...

No early adopter to any new technology gets screwed. It is the folks who blindly follow when there are signs that a change is coming( like buying a HD-DVD player for XMAS and then finding out that Warner switched later when there were signs everywhere). My wife keeps saying where there is smoke there is fire and she's right everytime!

Anyone here buy an HDTV without DVI or HDMI? There are folks who purchased componet HD sets only to find out they could not use upconverting DVD players later.

Most of the folks like myself who jumped early into the HDTV did not buy a 1080p set. Most bought sets that produced 800x1080i and the set used a line doubler to mimick HD -- I don't believe those folks felt screwed because most of us have been watching HDTV for 5 years or more. And some of those sets produced some might fine pictures.

Interestingly enough, anyone with a ninth grade reading ability could go into any bookstore and read a few HD magazines and come away with the knowledge that would of prevented a purchase that would very shortly become outdated. And if you have any computer skills, well a wealth of knowledge was available especially thru sites just like this one.

No, early adopters are not screwed unless they buy into the wrong technology. Then they are screwed. I think a few of you have your screwing backwards!:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts