BluRay: Early adopters should've expected to get screwed...

In answer to the 2nd post, I'm not doing it to pile on out of vindictiveness, merely to show that now that they have effectively won the war, they have already switched to a more arrogant stance.

I was considering buying a standalone BluRay player, but none of the machines on the market today can even handle BD-J, except for the PS3.

The BluRay spec has had two years to get their act together and they STILL aren't there. And people wonder why consumers aren't beating a path to their door.

Oh, those consumers beat a path to their door twice as often as they did to HD DVD.

It's pretty sad that there's all this ink and bandwidth spilled when together BD and HD-DVD barely beat current VHS sales.

I know you were just kidding with the format thing. I'm just still bragging on my 38 movies for $283 shipped (had to add the HD DVD of DVE to the total). Everyday is a new batch of movies arriving.

Retailer wise, I've just heard some outright lies at retailers on BD and HD DVD. BestBuy being one of the worst locally.

Comission wise, I don't think overall profit margin is great on BD or HD DVD players for retailers, but movies on both sides have got to have some nice gravy.

Please, do tell where you got 38 discs for $283. I'm interested...

but only about 1/10th as much as they did for the original DVD spec.
Not really, much much less, 1/200th, to be exact. Both formats combined.
Talking disc sales. In terms of money it will be about twice.

1/10th it will be by the end of 2010. If you believe BDA's projections.

Diogen.

OK...

So Warner signed up for Blu-Ray, and everyone says HD-DVD is dead and gone... OK... Fine I concede that...

However, I ask this question, how many years has DVD lived? I remember when DVD first came out, and well it has been at least 10 years now since then...

HD-DVD came out before Blu-Ray, however, both have been around about 2 years, so, how many more years before both of these are dead in the water? What I am getting at, HD-DVD might have lost, but has Blu-Ray really won? How long before it too disappears into history, like Beta-Max, and perhaps HD-DVD now?

Think about that one...

"Yeah, our ship won the race, however, it hit a iceberg shortly after and sank!!!!!"

DVD is the ultimate winner (really VHS is the one that held on the longest), so much so that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray combined can't touch it...

OK...

So Warner signed up for Blu-Ray, and everyone says HD-DVD is dead and gone... OK... Fine I concede that...

However, I ask this question, how many years has DVD lived? I remember when DVD first came out, and well it has been at least 10 years now since then...

HD-DVD came out before Blu-Ray, however, both have been around about 2 years, so, how many more years before both of these are dead in the water? What I am getting at, HD-DVD might have lost, but has Blu-Ray really won? How long before it too disappears into history, like Beta-Max, and perhaps HD-DVD now?

Think about that one...

"Yeah, our ship won the race, however, it hit a iceberg shortly after and sank!!!!!"

DVD is the ultimate winner (really VHS is the one that held on the longest), so much so that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray combined can't touch it...

Yep, BD/HD-DVD = SACD/DVD-A.

Yep, BD/HD-DVD = SACD/DVD-A.

If that happens it will be thanks to Paramount, Microsoft and Toshiba mainly.

I can't help but think that some of you predicting BD failure are former HD-DVD fanboys actually wanting Blu-Ray to fail. Am I right??

I can't help but think that some of you predicting BD failure are former HD-DVD fanboys actually wanting Blu-Ray to fail. Am I right??
This early in HDM and with this miniscule market penetration no one can fail yet.

No, I'd be happy if all studios were neutral, formats coexisted and let the consumer make the choice.

No, I'd be happy if all studios were neutral, formats coexisted and let the consumer make the choice.

That would of happend had Toshiba not listened to M$ who had no dog in this deal at all except to sabatoge any HDM disc based system and had they gone along with the BD crowd. But no, they change the rules of the DVD Forum so as to get their HD-DVD product off the ground. Hence the main reason the BD group established their own forum.

And guess what, the consumer is going to have the same choice in HDM discs as in regular DVDs -- soon they will be able to pick a BD player from their favorite manufacturer and any BD movie just like they do when they purchase DVDS. Now that is choice!

But no, they change the rules of the DVD Forum so as to get their HD-DVD product off the ground. Hence the main reason the BD group established their own forum.
....Edited....

The Blu-ray Disc format (as areplacement to DVD) was established in February 2002.
InfoSatellite.com - Blu-ray Disc: new DVD format established

One month later DVD Forum was still toying with WMVHD-like format on DVD-9.
Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Half a year later they introduced a blue laser format (later renamed HD DVD) that was standardized the next year.
It was finally adopted by the DVD forum and renamed HD DVD the next year, after being voted down twice by Blu-ray Disc Association members, prompting the U.S. Department of Justice to make preliminary investigations into the situation. Three new members had to be invited and the voting rules changed before the vote finally passed.

So, from a spectator point of view, Sony went on its own, created a new format Blu-ray, "bought" the loyalty of many CE/studios, didn't offer it for DVD Forum approval, and used their voting power to delay the establishment of a competing format.

Do your homework before you touch the keyboard, Joe...

Diogen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)