BluRay: Early adopters should've expected to get screwed...

We all understand that this is the WAR ZONE for HD DVD / BR and many times we want to vent our feelings here for one format or antoher. We do not want to become the place of personal attacks to individuals. As it was posted as sticky on the this forum:

"Just keep it civilized! Do not allow personal attacks or flaming! Attack arguments, not people. These are the rules!"

Whomever doe not follow these rules, we'll be dealt with appropiately. There is only one rule. Do not make it personal toward individuals.

Thank you very much to all. I will try to delete as much as possible these personal attacks.

As far as getting screwed by Sony...Isn't that always the case with there new systems. Look at PS2 when it came out Hardware issues, I had heard quite a few of the PS3's also had hardware issues. I have also had alot of problems with there dvd burners, not to mention they refuse to sign on with the lightscribe Would be nice not to have to print out images for the dvd's. But all well. I havent jumped on anything HD dvd yet...just because I am going to wait until I get a bigger HDtv. 26" not all that impressive for a HD dvd in either hd dvd or BR format. Look at all them people that also got hosed in the Iphone prices...they should have just left them with that instead of offering anything. Part of being an early adopter. (means beta tester and high price payer)

In the end, I don't think anyone with an HD player of any sort should be complaining...they have a state-of-the-art movie machine and the quality in either format is impeccable. That we may see resolution of the format war should be looked at as a boon for all--it will only mean MORE MOVIES are released in HD.

That's the thing we should all be pushing for...as they say, "It's the content, stupid."

That's why all the snarky bitching and moaning is counterproductive at best. What the studios are looking for is a positive sign in the marketplace that will convince them that it merits their time/energy in moving forward w/ HD-on-disc, period. Otherwise they'll treat it like a niche and leave it utterly unfulfilled--do we want that?!

That's why I'm torn. I would prefer to get a combo player, so that the 30 HD DVD discs I own can still be played years down the road (I've still got a combo DVD/Laserdisc player still in my stack to play the 100 laserdiscs I still own)... Another reason to keep my receiver, it does internal AC-3 decoding for the Dolby Digital tracks on those discs.....

My main decision now is.... Do I wait for combo machines that can run BD-J interactivity and PIP without a hitch? Or do I forego those items and just get one that may not have all the BD functionality, but will enable me to get HD movies now?

BTW, I am trying to avoid getting a PS3 as the solution. It is BD only, and I'm trying to avoid another game machine in the house (we already have the 360 and Wii).

BTW, I am trying to avoid getting a PS3 as the solution. It is BD only, and I'm trying to avoid another game machine in the house (we already have the 360 and Wii).

I don't know, Bob...I think you should go for the Trifecta ;). Seriously, the PS3 is a nice piece of hardware that you'll at least get a few solid years out of (software upgradable), and when 'Little Big Planet' and 'Metal Gear Solid' come out, you're gonna want it for the games, too. 'Home' might turn out to be quite a fascinating e-community/e-commerce environment, too. Go for it!