Call from the Audit Department.... what's next?

I have 8 tvs connected. Two with digital HDTV DVRs and 1 with digital box. The remaining 5 are connected to regular cable. The cost for all their channels is $110 per month versus DISH which for 5 receivers cost $135 per month. My Dish service included 2 HDTV DVRs. I paid thousands to buy their equipment and upgrade with them. One feature cable has over DISH is "on demand" viewing for free of any of your subscriptions channels such as HBO, Cinemax, etc. As stated below if you have digital ready TVs a card to receive digital cable is cheaper than the cost to connect additional DISH receivers. Do not get me wrong DISH has a great product but when you consider the cost to buy equipment and upgrade and then put up with their telephone connections and audits it really was a no-brainer for me. I will not be treated like a criminal when I am the customer and I am paying them $135 per month. Not to mention I was with them for 10 years.

The cable guard can be really good if a lot / most of the cable companies would use them. This would be really competitive against satellite.

Do they still charge?

I'm wondering when they turn off like 3 of your 4 receivers do they still continue to
charge for the 3 they shut off?

No need to repeat your question, they cant charge you for any receivers that have been shut off on the monthly charges, however that doesnt mean they cant charge you the retail cost of the receivers if they are leased units that need to be returned. So do you have those additional receivers set up at other peoples houses?

I recall someone mentioning having a 2nd HD DVR would automatically trigger an audit. Well, I have two 622 and an 811 receive but all three are plugged into a phone jack I see by my call logs that they occasionally dial out to E*. I seriously doubt I will be audited since that would be a complete waste of time and effort. Hmmm. Dish Network and common sense? It looks like I'll be audited in the near future.:p

As much as I disagree with Dish Network's Residential Agreement, it clearly states, "F. To optimize the operation of your Equipment, you must continuously connect each DISH Network receiver on your account to your same land-based telephone line. Failure to connect each receiver to your same land-based telephone line may result in interruption or disconnection of Services."

riffjim4069 said:
I recall someone mentioning having a 2nd HD DVR would automatically trigger an audit. ...

I am now in this situation with a 622 and a 942. I have never been audited, per se. However, years ago I had called for help with my equipment and the Tech had me read the location code or whatever it is from both of my receivers. Also, last week when calling them about a problem with the 622 she had me read that code to her from the 622 only. No hassle from my perspective. :D

Good discussion everyone, seems to be a very debatable topic. As for the analogies, I don't think any of them really fit the unique nature of satellite. Satellite service is designed to be able to be used anywhere, that is the nature of not having a network of cable set up. Does anybody have a problem with satellite radio being used at a vacation house? I forget if it was XM or Sirius but I remember a commercial where they show a guy pop his sat. radio receiver out of his home stereo at home, put it into his car for the ride to work, and then plug it into his radio on his desk at the office. They seem to be encouraging this behavior. What is the difference if you are picking up just audio or an audio/video mix?

Here's an idea. Instead of an account having a package price with extra receiver fees, they could solve this issue easily by charging a package price per receiver so a single account with 10 receivers would cost the same as 10 accounts with one receiver. Now I will run away before I get hit with something. :eek:

EDIT: I wish DishDave would respond to every thread, that is the most hypnotic avatar I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Maybe this is what Dish Network will want to do with their next version of PocketDish. It would be neat to see this with slingbox capabilities. Then there would be a solution for on the road. You could connect it up to a television for a bigger screen than what the PocketDish has to offer.

aaronhoes said:
... I forget if it was XM or Sirius but I remember a commercial where they show a guy pop his sat. radio receiver out of his home stereo at home, put it into his car for the ride to work, and then plug it into his radio on his desk at the office. They seem to be encouraging this behavior. ...

That would be a receiver that was licensed by XM or Sirius to be operated in that manner.:rolleyes:

For the last week or so .. my wife has been called on her cell phone that E* wanted her to do something and that she needed to be at the TV to do this with them... well she was at work (evening shift) and when she started the account used her cell phone and her maiden name to get the account going....

Anyhow... today I called and centrex connected my wife on the call ... we called their number 888-462-8902 that they left for her... they did not want to be on a 3-way conference call and would not explain why.. except that is their policy... so I asked for a supervisor ... so then a few minutes later Operator 9ES came on line and informed me that this in fact was the policy ... I asked for that policy in writing .. and she informed me that it was not in written down.. just that it was policy... so I asked for her supervisor... and she informed me that she did not have a supervisor available .. or anyone else for that matter that she could/would transfer me too...

We did get the phone number on the account changed to the land line, and maybe the last name on the account is changed too ...

Then she still insisted that I drop off the call .. I asked how she was going to be able to tell I was there when she was running the tests and she told me .. .(and this is whre I would like to say .. and I s**t you not ... ) WE HAVE OUR WAYS (kinda nazi-like eh?)... so I calmed my wife and dropped off the call... evidently the Audit person(?) dropped off too not understanding that it was a centrex 3-way (converted to transfered call)...

My wife called after the Audit was completed and informed me that they handled her rudely and still would not explain why I coiuld not be on the call.... and she pretty much informed then that she will drop her service with E* as soon as the lease is up... and will not ever recommend E* to anyone ...

What is it .. make one customer happy and he may tell another .. make one customer un-happy and he WILL tell everyone...

Ted...

The reason they don't want anyone on a 3-way call is that the audit in to make sure the recievers are not in 2 or more locations. A 3-way call could be used to cercomvent the audit.

I solved it another way.

I have a guest house with seperate phone line and a second receiver.

I just put the rcvr in my normal house on line 1, and ran line 1 on the yellow/blk wires to the guest house.

So the phone in the guest house is line 2, but a special wired jack near the receiver supplies line 1 for the dish rcvr by connecting blk/yellow to red/green in the one jack.

Works fine!

I think phonegunner is over-reacting, and Derwin0 told you why. It is policy, and it's to prevent someone from reading numbers from more than 1 location. They have to be calling the number on the account, and all the boxes have to be in the location of that number. It's not a conspiracy, it is policy and it's 100% reasonable. If you're on the # of the account, there's no reason you don't have access to the boxes unless you're stealing.

The fact that you opened the account on a cell phone # is your fault, not Dish's. I'm surprised your installer allowed such a thing...

So if someone can't have Dish if they don't have a home phone? When did that requirement get added?

Brad

andrews777 said:
So if someone can't have Dish if they don't have a home phone? When did that requirement get added?

Brad
Don't know about when, but it's in the Residential Agreement:

F. Additional Tuners and Receivers. We may allow you to place additional receivers on your account in our sole discretion. Each additional receiver will be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver. This option is only available if your initial DISH Network receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to your same land-based telephone line. ...

You do not require a land line telephone.
Dish receivers are in use in homes with a cell phone as the only phone.
I know of second or seasonal homes that have no land line phone and dish receivers.
Dish charges an extra $5. per month per receiver because of this.
That, is their policy.

phonegunner said:
Anyhow... today I called and centrex connected my wife on the call ...
Why did you do that? Besides the bogus name, are you in violation of the Residential Agreement in other ways?:rolleyes:

Purogamer said:
I think phonegunner is over-reacting, and Derwin0 told you why. It is policy, and it's to prevent someone from reading numbers from more than 1 location. They have to be calling the number on the account, and all the boxes have to be in the location of that number. It's not a conspiracy, it is policy and it's 100% reasonable. If you're on the # of the account, there's no reason you don't have access to the boxes unless you're stealing.

The fact that you opened the account on a cell phone # is your fault, not Dish's. I'm surprised your installer allowed such a thing...

22% of the country now has only a cellphone without a wired phone.

You want to eliminate 1 out of 4 of your customers?

Don't answer that :)

I'm a full time rv'r i get audit every couple years. this year was way differant. more questions than ever. and the first time i ever talked to someone at dishnet that was not cheerful. well to be honest this b**ch was flat out as rude as she could possibly be! i don't think this would be such a problem if they would have treated us with respect! half the complants here are stating they treated us like sh*t!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)