Considering switch from Dish to Xfinity - talk me down?

billdz

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 29, 2010
USA
Hi,

I've been with Dish for 6 years, with Uverse for phone and internet (Uverse TV not available here). Thinking about switching to Xfinity triple play.

I'm paying $72 monthly for Uverse and $82 for Dish, total $154. I have AT120+, Multi-Sport, and 222k receiver providing HD on one TV and SD on a second, no VOD. Internet is the Uverse Elite (6Mbps speed). Xfinity is offering the HD Preferred package. I'd pay $137 monthly (plus unspecified taxes and fees) for 160+ channels (including Starz and Encore), VOD, HD on both TVs, internet with "up to" 25 Mbps, and phone service. I could get this price for 12 months with no contract. With a 2 year contract, I'd get a $200 VISA card, but the monthly fee would be higher the second year.

So for about the same price, with Xfinity I'd supposedly get more channels, VOD, HD in both rooms, and faster internet. With the no contract deal, I could go elsewhere if it doesn't work out (perhaps back to Dish as a new customer after 6 months?). I know that quite a few people don't like Comcast/Xfinity, but this deal seems worth a try. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
If you don't mind the worst DVR in the world and iffy PQ, go for it.

Last edited:

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
If you're out of contract with dish then see what deal they will offer for you to stay ? They gave me 20 off for almost a year and a free hopper with sling to stay. You could try out comcast for a few months to see how they are for tv and then go back to Dish in 3 months . Dish will probably send several offers asking for your business back.

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Comcast may be different in all areas, I would look at what the cost would be after the promo. I know when I have went on there website just to see what it would cost for my Two Hopper/One Joey set up it would cost much more. I know Dish has there share of fees but have more then one HD tv with DVR and it's pretty high

My best advice would be to research before you switch

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Better check on the HD DVR rental fee and the HD fee for the second TV.

Since I have no choice for Internet other then comcast, I just received my bill and the January price fees on there cable services....whoa!

Mochuf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 16, 2012
Michigan
If you don't mind the worst DVR in the world and iffy PQ, go for it.
Xfinity HD pq is actually pretty good. As far as DVR's, yes they have some pathetic equipment. But you can at least "roll your own" if you wanted to.
And since your not under contract, if you're not happy, you can wait a few months and re-sign with Dish and get new customer deals.

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
I say go for it..I had to get a basic cable package + internet for sports (Dish decided not to carry RSN's in my area)..When the promo was up I called threatened to cancel and they extended it for 2 more years.. $80 for internet and TV..I stioll have Dish

lucky86

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 19, 2012
By the sea, in a land called Honalee
On the box my in-laws have, one of my biggest issues with it is the guide. I hate the fact that once you get to a channel you have to select watch in HD and then it flips you to another station. Other than that, the set top box they have is the worst thing I have ever used. Remote response is horrible, menus are extremely outdated and in my opinion it is not good at all. Comcast internet can be great but I would never pick up cable as my TV provider.

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Since you said Xfinity does not require a contract then it doesn't hurt to give them a shot. Try them out for 2 months and if you hate it you can sign back up with Dish as a new customer and take advantage of their promos.

Keep in mind that if you sign up in two months you will be signing up under Dish's upcoming promotion. The new promotion is only going to offer HD free for the first 2 years since they are getting rid of their HD free for life promo. You have some good options so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
It would cost me more money to get their triple play package than it does with dish and comcast double play like I have now. I think their HD DVR runs 17.95 which would be two hopper with slings combined counting the upcoming increase on the 2nd hopper.

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
if you are unhappy with Dish and tired of Dish's antics, then go ahead and leave, but if you don't like Comcast after you leave Dish, then you are welcome to go back to Dish or try another provider. or just cut the cord all together and watch all your favorite shows online and rent DVDs from Netflix.

the pay TV business is in a boom with the rise of internet On-Demand content sites. and you still have many choices between cable, satellite or fiber-optic cable TV as well is Internet TV.

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
if you are unhappy with Dish and tired of Dish's antics,....

If by antics, as some have posted in this very thread, you mean still less expensive prices, far far better equipment, free HD for life for current subscribers, etc etc... then yes if you are tired of that I agree. Or if you mean channels disputes that Direct TV had nearly as much, along with other providers fighting with the networks, then yes. If you mean raising rates like Direct TV just did and every provider does, then yes. If you mean adding an RSN fee - oh wait DISH hasn't done that one yet.....

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Ok, I going to say first that as of right now I have Comcast, but I am someone who in the last 9 years have had all three (Dish, then DirecTV, then Comcast) services and I have no bias against any of them.

The only reason I am still with Comcast is the price, as of right now their Triple Play is the best bargain then having services from different providers.

I pay $133 a month total, that gets me their HD package with Starz, X1 box and the extra box that links to it, 50 down, 10 up broadband and home phone service.

And before anyone says that your price will go up when your deal expires with the evil cable company, that is true for all providers, not just cable, the advantage I have is that I do not have a contract and can leave when I wish, that is why i get great deals from them, it also helps that I live in a uverse area so I can play off that when I call Comcast.

Now the service, I live in a rebuilt Comcast area ( they just updated this area over the summer, they last did it 5 years ago), we get all the HD channels, including things D and E do not have like FX Movies in HD for example, the HD picture is about the same as Dish ( DirecTV still has the best HD picture).

Now the boxes, when we where upgraded to the X1( 7 months ago), the first two months I wanted to throw it out the window, it sucked, lock ups, missed recordings, slow, etc., I was about to say F this and head back to DirecTV, then I noticed it started to get better, now for the last 4 months it has been very stable, very fast, no more missed recordings and not one lock up, the only thing I wished it had was a bigger HD.

Now before anyone says Comcast charges too much for their boxes (or something else), what matters is the total price you pay on your bill, not what is listed on their web site, their are always deals to be had, a lot of their Triple plays deals include a box.

For example, based on their website, DirecTV charges $25 a month for their genie, but I know they give a discount for two years, Comcast does the same, you just have to do research.

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
Ok, I going to say first that as of right now I have Comcast, but I am someone who in the last 9 years have had all three (Dish, then DirecTV, then Comcast) services and I have no bias against any of them.

The only reason I am still with Comcast is the price, as of right now their Triple Play is the best bargain then having services from different providers.

I pay $133 a month total, that gets me their HD package with Starz, X1 box and the extra box that links to it, 50 down, 10 up broadband and home phone service.

And before anyone says that your price will go up when your deal expires with the evil cable company, that is true for all providers, not just cable, the advantage I have is that I do not have a contract and can leave when I wish, that is why i get great deals from them, it also helps that I live in a uverse area so I can play off that when I call Comcast.

Now the service, I live in a rebuilt Comcast area ( they just updated this area over the summer, they last did it 5 years ago), we get all the HD channels, including things D and E do not have like FX Movies in HD for example, the HD picture is about the same as Dish ( DirecTV still has the best HD picture).

Now the boxes, when we where upgraded to the X1( 7 months ago), the first two months I wanted to throw it out the window, it sucked, lock ups, missed recordings, slow, etc., I was about to say F this and head back to DirecTV, then I noticed it started to get better, now for the last 4 months it has been very stable, very fast, no more missed recordings and not one lock up, the only thing I wished it had was a bigger HD.

Now before anyone says Comcast charges too much for their boxes (or something else), what matters is the total price you pay on your bill, not what is listed on their web site, their are always deals to be had, a lot of their Triple plays deals include a box.

For example, based on their website, DirecTV charges $25 a month for their genie, but I know they give a discount for two years, Comcast does the same, you just have to do research.
Like I always tell my friends, figure out which channels you have to have and pick the best deal and tv package that's out there for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)