Considering switch to DirectTV from Dish - The good and the bad?

mitchfx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
After 5 years with Dish I'm seriously considering switching to DirectTV. One of the main reasons is because of DirectTV's "whole house dvr" feature which allows sharing the content of one dvr's drive with all the receivers in the house. Currently we are using the two separate outputs of our Dish vip622 to drive both the den and bedroom tvs, but because of the UHF remote system I cannot exclusively use a HARMONY remote in the bedroom (we have multiple devices and have to use the Harmony along with the Dish remote...quite a pain) like we do in the Den. I've looked into using an IR repeater, but the issue there is that ALL the ir commands from the bedroom will get sent to the Den which I don't want since there are duplicate devices (imagine our sony tv and apple tv in the den doing all sorts of unwanted commands while we control the like units in the bedroom).

Another reason is because of all the trouble I've had setting up Dish Remote Access over the last 3 days. I won't go over all the specifics (covered in another thread) but I've just about given up. Also, our vip622 died last week, and instead of offering an upgrade to the 722...Dish dumped another antiquated 622 on us.

I would be interested to hear the opinions of others on the pros and cons of DirectTV vs Dish. We currently have the HD "Everything" package along with the HD Platinum, one 622 and one vip211 (which we rarely use).

Thanks,
M

After 5 years with Dish I'm seriously considering switching to DirectTV. One of the main reasons is because of DirectTV's "whole house dvr" feature which allows sharing the content of one dvr's drive with all the receivers in the house. Currently we are using the two separate outputs of our Dish vip622 to drive both the den and bedroom tvs, but because of the UHF remote system I cannot exclusively use a HARMONY remote in the bedroom (we have multiple devices and have to use the Harmony along with the Dish remote...quite a pain) like we do in the Den. I've looked into using an IR repeater, but the issue there is that ALL the ir commands from the bedroom will get sent to the Den which I don't want since there are duplicate devices (imagine our sony tv and apple tv in the den doing all sorts of unwanted commands while we control the like units in the bedroom).

Another reason is because of all the trouble I've had setting up Dish Remote Access over the last 3 days. I won't go over all the specifics (covered in another thread) but I've just about given up. Also, our vip622 died last week, and instead of offering an upgrade to the 722...Dish dumped another antiquated 622 on us.

I would be interested to hear the opinions of others on the pros and cons of DirectTV vs Dish. We currently have the HD "Everything" package along with the HD Platinum, one 622 and one vip211 (which we rarely use).

Thanks,
M

If you have never had DirecTV before then maybe you should switch.Every satellite subscriber needs to find out where they belong and the only way I know of is to try both of them(I did) then you will know.My only advise is to get everything you want with your original install otherwise it will cost you $$$!.Good Luck!.:)

If you have never had DirecTV before then maybe you should switch.Every satellite subscriber needs to find out where they belong and the only way I know of is to try both of them(I did) then you will know.My only advise is to get everything you want with your original install otherwise it will cost you $$$!.Good Luck!.:)

I agree with this advice. Figure out what setup will be the best at the beginning. Packages can always be changed until you get into grandfathering. However, I would suggest looking at both channel lineups to see what channels you watch.

Dish: TV Channel Lineup - Satellite Channels on DISH Network
DirecTV: English Packages
DIRECTV: Premiums : HD Extra Pack : Overview

I think that the DirecTV package with everything is around $114.99, but they have sports with it if you like sports. Dish's package is $99.99
I do find that DirecTV's packages seem to be a little more expensive. Lineups can also differ between the two.

If you like the HD Platinum package, DirecTV currently does not have any of the three EPIX channels. They also do not offer IndiePlex HD, RetroPlex HD, MoviePlex, MavTV HD, Fashion TV HD, and World Fishing Network (WFN) HD.

Receiver fees with DirecTV are supposed to go up. $6 for the first two and then $6 for each additional receiver. Therefore, they are starting to inch to the receiver costs of Dish Network even if it is slowly as Dish charges $7 for a Solo receiver. One good thing with Dish is that with one Duo there is no equipment fees. Adding a solo with Dish would cost $7/month as previously stated. Therefore, 3 rooms with DirecTV will be $12 while 3 rooms with the Dish setup I previously explained would be $7. However, I will also note that each setup is unique. I believe that DirecTV now has some new DVR service for the whole home. I am not sure how that works; maybe someone else can explain. I think HD may be able to be bundled in somehow. What I have heard about HD for DirecTV for free is that it is for two years (not sure if they changed this) rather than for the life of the account as Dish. However, who knows what the future will hold with HD and costs associated with it?

One thing I like about the Duo is that I can watch downcoverted HD channels on a TV 2 standard definition TV. With DirecTV, I cannot do that at a relative's. Therefore, I cannot watch an HD channel on a standard receiver with DirecTV; so, a Duo from Dish can come in handy.

Best of luck to you with whatever you choose to do.
I believe that DirecTV has an extra $5 off a month deal for one year if you sign up online with them. Another positive is that you can lock in your price for a year; therefore, if you do so before those February (I believe) increases, you should be safe with at least your base programming price. Also, for three months, it seems that they are offering free Starz, Cinemax, HBO, and Showtime. One complaint is that there is only three Cinemax channels at this time with DirecTV while Dish has five. Sadly, cable probably has the amount of both providers combined although cable probably costs more. I think that DirecTV just started offering HBO Zone HD, but I believe that they do not have HBO Comedy.

You can probably get three months free of their HD Extra Pack, but it does not contain as many channels as Dish's HD Platinum.
In addition, this offer seems to roll over much of the time.

To some this is not a big deal....However, I like the Sirius XM channels on Dish. DirecTV now has SonicTap. Dish also seems to have a lot more audio channels.

Again, good luck. :)

The bottom line is...who has the programming you want to watch. Tech aside, general rule of thumb...Sports Fans = Directv. Movie Lovers = Dish. Check the channel lineups carefully.

Last edited:
I hear your mother calling you in for dinner. Look both ways before you cross the tracks. ;)

I wonder how long he would last here if we treated him the way the Direct forum people treat Dish people when they go over there.
But then I guess when you don't have as many channels you have more time to come over here and post in all the threads, so...

Honestly, I'd explore other remote control options if that's your biggest issue. Dish makes THIS device that you can use an IR remote like harmony to control TV2 over existing coax. Keep in mind you lose 30 HD nationals if you switch. That's the primary reason I dropped D* for Dish a few months ago. And D*'s SD picture quality is horrendous compared to Dish.

Last edited:
Not sure if you are interested in my opinion, but I take A LOT of DTV systems out and put dish in. People complain mostly about pricing and how it goes up almost every other month. One person told me their bill went up $45 over the course of 9 months. They always come back. haha.

I wonder how long he would last here if we treated him the way the Direct forum people treat Dish people when they go over there.
But then I guess when you don't have as many channels you have more time to come over here and post in all the threads, so...

They wouldn't, especially your FAVORITE moderator.

well if he came and asked questions about D* we'd be more than happy to help him. Heck if he asked info in the D* area from folks who have had both I'm sure the answers given would be sufficient for him to make a good decision. In fact here is a recent thread where the questions were answered including any issues with D* equipment compared to what he has currently
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/238810-directtv-questions-longtime-maybe-former-dish.html

The bottom line is...who has the programming you want to watch. Tech aside, general rule of thumb...Sports Fans = Directv. Movie Lovers = Dish. Check the channel lineups carefully.

Actually, at this point, I have Dish mainly for sports. Dish is still cheaper for what I watch (FoxSoccer, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, CSNBA).

I think that the extra sports channels on DirecTV are mainly ones that sound good, but hardly anyone actually really watches. It is like that Sun Roof option on the new car - it sounds good - but how often do you actually open it ? If it is summer, the sun beats in and gives you a sunburn. :)

Similarly, having "all NFL games" or "all Champions League games" sounds good, but aside from the special situation of the Detroit fan living in Los Angeles, most people really do not have the time to watch 16 NFL games, they end up just watching their local team and that Monday Night Football game that is in all the packages of all providers. (And, in the Champions League, are you really going to actually watch that FC Anderlecht vs Shaktar Donetsk 6th choice match ?)

However, if Dish is having a dispute that means you do not see your local team, then that's a very good reason to change providers. But it has little to do with "Sports Fans = DirecTV"...

PS
we have multiple devices and have to use the Harmony along with the Dish remote...quite a pain
If that is the biggest problem you have with Dish, DirecTV or cable, then you have it easy ! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)