DIRECTV TV Anywhere is coming!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Based on my rant about DIS, and based on what others have said about streaming, I'm not sure we've adequately covered exactly what type of streaming is going on here.

The OP (I interpreted) is talking about taking content that would otherwise be landed on a Genie DVR and instead landing it on another device (registered by way of username/password) on the same DirecTV account. Alternatively, taking already-landed content from a Genie DVR and instead watching that content on a final destination device. And all of this has to do with DirecTV's app.

So, who's actually handling the streaming here? It sounds like DirecTV via their facilities. Is this correct?

No the streaming is coming from your house, just like a Slingbox.

Ok, so if the streaming is being done from your home, is the data usage being charged to my Home ISP or the Cell/Tablet data provider (which would be the cell phone with much more restrictions on most plans ?)

No the streaming is coming from your house, just like a Slingbox.
It depends, if DIRECTV has the channel as part of their streaming channels it comes from DIRECTV. If the channel isn't part of their streaming channels then it comes from the GenieGo in the home. At least that's what I've seen using it.

Curious if they'll try and charge for this or not.

I've already got a slingbox so this is useless for me as what I have is already better and no restrictions but nice to see D* making at least some effort to combat other providers on this front.

Isn't this the same idea behind the Dish Hopper w/ Sling. Seems like DTV is late to the party, but at least their coming to the party.....

do any TV's come with Android installed? its been a while since i've looked at bells and whistles, but if your buddy had a TV with android (or a phone connected to its display, on their wifi) you could effectively watch your D* at someone elses home.

do any TV's come with Android installed? its been a while since i've looked at bells and whistles, but if your buddy had a TV with android (or a phone connected to its display, on their wifi) you could effectively watch your D* at someone elses home.
its simple to cast an android phone to many tvs now

Isn't this the same idea behind the Dish Hopper w/ Sling. Seems like DTV is late to the party, but at least their coming to the party.....
They have the external GenieGo and GenieGo 2 for years, which did most of the same things except for the live streaming. You could do 'live' TV but you had to say record it and then stream it via the external GenieGo's. So they've kind of had the functionality there but have expanded it for true live streaming from the Genie and made it internal.

Bad part is that if you have HR2X's in your home the internal GenieGo won't transcode recordings from those boxes, only from the GenieGo itself, another one of those DIRECTV take one step forwards then one step backwards changes.

Scott, I don't how you keep doing all this...I SWEAR some people here can't read simple English.
You've all but spelled it out to the 9's, & some of the responses you got are...baffling, to say the least.
You've said "Slingbox" twice & still....WOW!

(...used instead for bad weather backup instead of that rumor about using UVerseTV for that...)
WTF..like comparing apples & steak...
It's not a matter of "some people here can't read simple English." It's a matter of what's meant by certain things.

For example, if streaming is a part of what this software release is about, it is perfectly legitimate to ask exactly how that streaming is going to occur. For example, when I went on my rant about DIS' restriction on their downloads, the premise of my rant was that said download would land on the Genie DVR first and then a secondary display device thereafter. Therefore, the only streaming, in that sense, would be to get from my DVR to my secondary device. Hence, the concept of paying DIS directly for streaming is irrelevant.

I asked about defining "streaming" because we were getting lots of assumptions in response to the OP about this concept. I was asking to clarify what was meant by all of this.

tl;dr: It appears to me that "streaming" is defined as the medium that sits between the subscriber's Genie DVR and the final display device.

It's a matter of what's meant by certain things...it is perfectly legitimate to ask exactly how that streaming is going to occur

Which saying "Slingbox" twice should have cleared it right up...

the premise of my rant was that said download would land on the Genie DVR first and then a secondary display device thereafter. Therefore, the only streaming, in that sense, would be to get from my DVR to my secondary device.

And that's EXACTLY what Slingbox does...streams from a sub's in-house device - in this case, the Genie - to the secondary screen via the internet. It could be live streaming from a channel the Genie is turned to, or something pre-recorded on the DVR...which by golly, is what Scott's post (also) says. Slingbox doesn't do anything for streaming from a website, such as a DirecTV user login site, or a Disney, or any other programmers site.
I suppose maybe there's 1-2 folks on this board that have never heard of a Slingbox...but that's what Google is for...sorry, but I honestly didn't think I was expecting that much for people that frequent a "techie-board" like this...my mistake. :imconfused

Hence, the concept of paying DIS directly for streaming is irrelevant.

It's VERY relevant, if a programmer has specifically FORBID a service provider such as D*, from allowing customers to stream live channels OUTSIDE the home - REGARDLESS if it's via a Slingbox-type app from your own in-home receiver, or from the programmers website itself. Nobody said these deals had to make any logical sense...it is what it is.

Perfect example - when E* launched their Slingbox in the Hopper, SiriusXM forced them to exclude all it's music channels from being live-streamed via Slingbox, & just last month also forced E* to disallow ALL recording &/or downloads of SXM programming to ANY devices. Again, unless E* wanted to completely dump &/or pay more for the service, they had no choice but to comply with SXM's wishes. (I'm guessing they didn't want E* subs to compete with SXM's own live internet streaming service...) E* has NO such restrictions on their other music channels, though...so it's obviously an SXM requirement.

Then I assume you noticed this disclaimer on DIS:
Due to contractual obligation, downloaded Disney content is restricted to one download to one client per account for 60 days. This applies to all Disney channels.

Again, regardless that this is tied to downloading DVR'd shows, obviously DIS has saddled D* with this restriction for whatever stupid reasoning...all part of contract negotiations between DIS & D*.

If people don't want these streaming restrictions, they can buy a standalone Slingbox & stream anything, anywhere to their hearts content. But obviously, besides the upfront cost, it's obviously not as "neat & tidy" as having it integrated in the receiver.

tl;dr: It appears to me that "streaming" is defined as the medium that sits between the subscriber's Genie DVR and the final display device.

Yes...AKA a Slingbox-type service :D

Last edited:
Sony XBR models have Android OS.

its simple to cast an android phone to many tvs now

Cast - nice to know the official term for that. I have always said "throw" but cast makes more sense.

But anyway, yes I can with my Android and LG TV. Not all apps allow it though, like ESPN and HBO.

If this is watchable on IOS devices will AT&T/directv also make this a tvOS app for the Apple TV? Not everyone has more than one receiver. I know you can do this with AirPlay but why not just cut the tablet/iPhone out of the equation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts