Dish dispute with Sinclair...reached deal in principle

[h=1]GOOD NEWS![/h] DISH is pleased to announce that we have reached an agreement in principle with Sinclair Broadcast Group to keep your stations on DISH. Thank you for your patience and loyalty while we worked to continue to bring you the best programming at the best value.

Funny how the words "corporate" and "cooperate" are similiarly spelled and sounded, yet are like oil and water.

It's funny seeing both local stations posting "status updates" (no doubt done automatically from the corporate level to all SBG-owned station's pages) about this over the past few days and they were generally NOT getting the "support" they were expecting !

I laugh when I read their press release...

Sinclair notes that the prices it is requesting for its extremely popular stations are substantially lower
than the amounts Dish is paying for other far less popular channels it carries as a result of Dish’s flawed
economic model that on a relative basis compensates channels with little to no audience share more than the
broadcast channels.
How do they know what Dish pays ? And the "little to no audience" comment is probably trying to compare the number of viewers in a single market that watch a 'cable' channel vs the number of viewers who watch the local channel in that same market. They fail to grasp that these 'cable' channels are NATIONWIDE.
In addition, Sinclair notes that its negotiations with Dish, a company which is currently
being sued by the ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC networks as a result of Dish providing its customers with
technology that allows its subscribers to delete commercials, involve matters other than pricing.
How is that relevant ?
Sinclair would also like to remind its viewers who are Dish subscribers that the Sinclair stations that may be
dropped by Dish remain available from a variety of other sources.
In the future, they can just replace "Dish" with the name of another provider :)

Last edited:
When I heard of the possibility of Dish dropping the Sinclair station in our area WUHF-31 (Fox), I checked our timers to go OTA. Well I only found one (Touch) and it was already on OTA! Other than the occasional football game or race I probably would not miss it... although I would miss the guide.

When I heard of the possibility of Dish dropping the Sinclair station in our area WUHF-31 (Fox), I checked our timers to go OTA. Well I only found one (Touch) and it was already on OTA! Other than the occasional football game or race I probably would not miss it... although I would miss the guide.

About the same here in regards to 31. Living out in Wayne County on top of a drumlin, with my ota antenna, I get all the Syracuse channels as well as Rochester. I can also pull in some Canadian channels on the TV.

If they agreed to a two week extention, either they both feel they are close, or Sinclair really does not want their channels dropped.

We too are on top of one, about 10' from the top of Monroe county, but SYR and CDN can't be seen with our cheapie indoor OTA antenna.

I'm an old C-Bander. The drumlin is at about 610 Ft above sea level. We have a raised ranch and I have a big antenna with a booster and a rotor on top of the roof. So the antenna is somewhere between 630 and 640 ft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)