DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

TNGTony said:
Sundance channel is on 389. Also WE, AMC and IFC have been mirrored on channels391, 392 and 393. If dish is really going to drop the channels my guess is that they will slate the "regular" channel numbers (128, 130 and 131) and leave them in the 390s for a little while to see how many people squawk!

If you're recording the new episodes of Mad Men like I am be sure to check that the guide data is still there on 130 often. If take down the data and replace it with a message about the channel being removed or moved to a different number it won't record the new episodes. I can see this being a problem for people even before they take down the channels.

I guess Dish is going to pull those channels no matter what. I just visited Dish.com and looked over the Channel Line-Up cards. All the AMC Network channels are gone from their respective packages (and everywhere else). Even though June 30th is still seven weeks away. So much for negotiations. :mad:

well i do watch the popular shows on AMC and will be pissed if they are removed i probably wont jump ship. i can catch them on netflix later. i dont need to watch them as soon as they are shown.

I just sent the following email to Dish:

"I read that Dish is planning to drop AMC and I see that it is no longer listed on your website's channel lineup. IF YOU DROP AMC HD I WILL IMMEDIATELY AND PERMANENTLY CANCEL MY 15-YEAR SUBSCRIPTION WITH YOU. Dish's increasingly unscrupulous business practices are not acceptable to me."

I suggest that everyone here send a similar email to Dish.

AVMe said:
I just sent the following email to Dish:

"I read that Dish is planning to drop AMC and I see that it is no longer listed on your website's channel lineup. IF YOU DROP AMC HD I WILL IMMEDIATELY AND PERMANENTLY CANCEL MY 15-YEAR SUBSCRIPTION WITH YOU. Dish's increasingly unscrupulous business practices are not acceptable to me."

I suggest that everyone here send a similar email to Dish.

I am going to send one to the CEO address as well. It probably won't do anything but it can't hurt for them to know we will be angry about losing AMC.

I agree with a lot of folks in this thread that this is nothing more than posturing by E*. Say you are going to drop the channels so the advertisers on those channels catch wind of it and then contact AMC about restructuring advertising deals based on the resulting decreased viewership on them. Also put in those advertisers' minds that overall viewership is down. It puts indirect pressure on AMC to agree to E*'s terms.

Man, I hope they don't really drop AMC. I've also been with Dish for around 15 years but, if they do this, I will not think twice about switching to Direct. It would be a major inconvenience but I'm not going to subscribe to a service that doesn't offer a channel with some of my favorite programs. No Breaking Bad, no Walking Dead, no Dish Network. The end.

According to Dish's news release, they say they are dropping AMC due to poor viewership. However, when I spoke with Dish's Customer Service and Loyalty Department about them dropping AMC I was told that AMC is one of their most popular channels. Once again, Ergen speaks with a forked tongue.

wetz73 said:
I agree with a lot of folks in this thread that this is nothing more than posturing by E*. Say you are going to drop the channels so the advertisers on those channels catch wind of it and then contact AMC about restructuring advertising deals based on the resulting decreased viewership on them. Also put in those advertisers' minds that overall viewership is down. It puts indirect pressure on AMC to agree to E*'s terms.

The problem is they have shown that they aren't afraid to drop popular channels like they did with FX and the FSN channels a few years ago. I agree that they are trying to use this as a negotiating tool but I do think they will drop these channels if they don't get what they want.

AMC used to be a powerful highly watched channel back when AMC actually meant America Movie Classics, now it mainly stands for Advertisers Mecca Channel.

Ever since Cablevision got controlling interest they have steadily brought it down and it is now a shell of itself; 6 minutes of programming for every 4 minutes of commercials…

Happily there still is TMC to fill the void and quench my hunger for classic old movies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts