DISH Invites Customers to Deflate the Game Not the Ads

Love the idea! I really hate football , but I love the commercials during the Super Bowl and I love the half time show. Only wish that they would include the half time show with the commercials.

Reactions: foghorn2
This might be part of Charlie's ". . . ways we can show them [broadcasters] how they can [make money or still have ads] with us . . . and [still have Autohop]," Mr. Ergan had always been alluding to when asked at Quarterlies about broadcasters early hostility towards AutoHop. This makes Dish look broadcaster friendly. Not even TiVo has something this media company friendly and TiVo bends over and greases it self for the ease of the media channel owners like no other. Still, a good idea and fun.

As long as PTAT is enabled (even for just one day, for one night), this should work. PTAT doesn't have to be set up for Sunday evening nor does Dish need to start early or end late.

Now if they could also get rid of all the time between plays (that stretch the games to almost 4 hours) and The Hopper could show commercials and plays only, we'd have a winner. But love this idea!

Reactions: charlesrshell
As long as PTAT is enabled (even for just one day, for one night), this should work. PTAT doesn't have to be set up for Sunday evening nor does Dish need to start early or end late.
What are the regular hours that PTAT auto records? I thought for CST it is programs that start at 7 PM to 10 PM. Saturday and Sunday is 6 PM to 10 PM. So Hall, are you saying that PTAT will auto save this Sunday starting at 5 PM CST (Super Bowl start time)?

PTAT doesn't have to be "on" during the day/time that a show is on in order for it to Autohop a show.

Forget this Sunday, forget 5pm CST, etc, etc. As an example, if I have PTAT set for Saturday only and for ABC only, my manual recording of The Big Bang Theory from 8pm on Thursday on CBS will still Autohop.

PTAT doesn't have to be "on" during the day/time that a show is on in order for it to Autohop a show.

Forget this Sunday, forget 5pm CST, etc, etc. As an example, if I have PTAT set for Saturday only and for ABC only, my manual recording of The Big Bang Theory from 8pm on Thursday on CBS will still Autohop.
But you have set a manual recording. I think what is being pondered here is, if you don't have PTAT set for Sunday, you will get no recording for the event. No recording, no Auto Hop... I think you have to be sure that you have PTAT set for NBC on Sunday for this to work.

I think I've made this as clear as mud !! :biggrin You're right, if your PTAT option isn't running on Sundays or if you don't manually record it, yeah, you'll have a problem ! Sorry for confusing that !

As for Sunday's PTAT start time, that's not a user-controllable option, so based on what Dish is planning, they are most certainly changing the start time from 7pm EST to an earlier time.

ptat-sunday.png

Sorry for the confusion. I am not asking about AutoHop. I am asking about the auto recording for the PTAT channels. I have two Hoppers PTAT enabled with all days of the week and all four networks. Normally in the CST zone PTAT programs auto record starting at 7 PM CST Monday thru Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting at 6 PM. The Super bowl in the guide starts at 5 PM Sunday CST. Will PTAT that is automatically saved start at 5 PM Sunday when normally it saves programs on Sundays starting at 6 PM CST? I am not asking about the AutoHop feature or setting a timer.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confussion. I am not asking about AutoHop. I am asking about the auto recording for the PTAT channels. I have two Hoppers PTAT enabled with all days of the week and all four networks. Normally in the CST zone PTAT programs auto record starting at 7 PM CST Monday thru Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting at 6 PM. The Super bowl in the guide starts at 5 PM Sunday CST. Will PTAT that is automatically saved start at 5 PM Sunday when normally it saves programs on Sundays starting at 6 PM CST? I am not asking about the AutoHop feature or setting a timer.
Yes. I'm in ET and PTAT is set to start at 6pm ET.

Sorry for the confusion. I am not asking about AutoHop. I am asking about the auto recording for the PTAT channels. I have two Hoppers PTAT enabled with all days of the week and all four networks. Normally in the CST zone PTAT programs auto record starting at 7 PM CST Monday thru Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting at 6 PM. The Super bowl in the guide starts at 5 PM Sunday CST. Will PTAT that is automatically saved start at 5 PM Sunday when normally it saves programs on Sundays starting at 6 PM CST? I am not asking about the AutoHop feature or setting a timer.
When you press Guide on your remote, go to Sunday. I know you know how to do this, but for others that don't, Press Guide, press Forward until you see Sun 2/1. Now look at NBC for Super Bowl. Do you see a yellow PT there? If you don't you will need to set it to record.

We've already seen that the early start is set to record PTAT form Cosmo in CT (EST). Now, I'm noticing that in the Pacific time zone PTAT is not set early because the program is over at 7PM which is the normal Sunday time to begin PTAT.

Reactions: charlesrshell
When you press Guide on your remote, go to Sunday. I know you know how to do this, but for others that don't, Press Guide, press Forward until you see Sun 2/1. Now look at NBC for Super Bowl. Do you see a yellow PT there? If you don't you will need to set it to record.

We've already seen that the early start is set to record PTAT form Cosmo in CT (EST). Now, I'm noticing that in the Pacific time zone PTAT is not set early because the program is over at 7PM which is the normal Sunday time to begin PTAT.
OK, got it. I never looked that close before at the yellow PT in the guide. Thanks for the tip. The Super Bowl has the PT for the 5 PM CST start this Sunday. I guess I was wrong on the PTAT hours for Saturday. It appears Saturdays start at 7 PM the same for Monday thru Friday. Sundays is the only day PTAT starts at 6 PM CST for normal programing. Thanks again Bobby.

I'm now wondering if, because the Pacific time zone is not PTAT during the Super Bowl, the west will be excluded from the reverse auto hop... I've got it set to record so we'll see...

Reactions: electriclarryland