DISH Network Price Change

I've priced the FIOS TV / internet / phone deal several times and you are correct about the price going up. But, I can get the top tier ( extreme / 35-35 internet / phone ) with a Multiroom HD DVR, regular HD DVR, HD STB and basic phone for $145 - $155 ( second year price ). I expect a few more dollars for tax, etc. Verizon offers me a corp discount of $10 a month, so it would actually be $135. They are also running a promotion for a free DVR for 12 months right now.

But I pay $107 for Dish now ( will be $112 next month?) , and $41 for internet ( 10 mbps comcast ) and $30 for Voip, so I would still save some money.

So worst case, I will still save $10 or $15 a month. Not a big deal, but I will have 35/35 internet.:D

Around here, there are 3 "triple play" Fios options, with Ultimate being the top tier:
Prime.........15/5........$90.......180+ channels, 40+ are HD
Extreme....25/25......$105......275+ channels, 65+ are HD
Ultimate....35/35......$120......340+ channels, 85+ are HD

These apparently are "first year" rates, going up $40 or more thereafter. Plus, the "multi-room" DVR is the Motorola QIP 6416, discontinued by Motorola in 2008, with only a 160GB HDD and no 7.1 or MPEG-4 support, and is free for only the first year. It's $20/month thereafter. So after a year, my projected $105/mo bill would go up to $165. Actually, I'd want two HD DVRs, and the second one would be between $16 & $20/month. So they're just as expensive as Dish on receivers, and Dish receivers are far superior, at least to the Motorolas. It would seem there are no added charges, like for EPG, remote, etc. Just taxes.

Subtract one cent from all prices if you want to get picky. All packs above include unlimited land line calling.

Looks like after a year, I'd be paying about $185/month. I pay Dish just over a hundred, and about that to Verizon now for internet and land line. Consolidating would save me maybe twenty five bucks or so a month. And only that, if I assume they start distributing Cisco boxes around here, and I view them as close to the ViP722, and they have much larger storage and perhaps EHD support, and they have skip ahead and back buttons.

Maybe. But probably not worth it. Even after the price increase, for me, Dish is still the best bet.

Hmm... curious to see what happens to HDAbsoluters.

Anyone that is in that package will be migrated to AT 200 with HD FOR LIFE no strings attached...

dishboi may well be correct, but I don't put much stock in any info coming from a 2 month member with 15 posts...

dishboi, I hope that you will accept my apology. Darned if you weren't right on.:eek: I won't doubt you again.

Dropped from the AEP, to the Americas 250....Getting to be wayyyyy to expensive for television. The receiver fees are 25% of my bill.....

What I can't understand about Sat/Cab and Network/Programmer companies, is don't they realize that they're pricing themselves out of business? I mean I understand that to keep up with new technologies it cost money, and yes, at times price increases will have to be made, but like you stated, the cost for TV is getting way out of hand. Specially when you really look at the quality of both the programming out there. Aside from the fact that we still don't have 100% HD programming 24/7 on all channels. I can't stand looking through the guide and seeing FX, or some other station playing the same movie 5 times in a roll...to me that's not programming, it's just a way to provide the cheapest way to take the money they charge for carrying their channel.

TV is not like gasoline. We might get really upset at the cost of gas, but we still need it, so we're stuck. We can cut back, but it's hard to cut out buying gas completely. With TV, there's really no reason to keep paying out increased cost. Gladly, there are other options.

Ghpr13:)

What I can't understand about Sat/Cab and Network/Programmer companies, is don't they realize that they're pricing themselves out of business? ....

When their costs go up, they have no choice but to raise prices. Some networks and locals seem to think they have Dish (translate, in this case, US) over a barrel. I suspect it is Hollywood that is heading for a fall. As you allude, at some point, we stop going to movies, buying/renting movies, paying for TV, etc. I believe Hollywood could control their costs better, but have no incentive to do so. More or less, the more you pay a star, the more the studio head will make.

When their costs go up, they have no choice but to raise prices. Some networks and locals seem to think they have Dish (translate, in this case, US) over a barrel. I suspect it is Hollywood that is heading for a fall. As you allude, at some point, we stop going to movies, buying/renting movies, paying for TV, etc.

And Hollywood is crying because tickets sales were down.

Anyone that is in that package will be migrated to AT 200 with HD FOR LIFE no strings attached, how the premium is going to work is that if you don't have any premiums your getting STARZ if you have starz then your going to get encore, if you have both starz and encore and have HD then you will get HDplatinum and if you have both starz and encore and no HD then you will get 6 free PPV Coupons or if you have all three starz and encore and HDPlatinum then you will get 6 PPV coupons. Also there will be no strings attached with the free premium offer free for a year no need for autopay or paperless billing
He's right, unfortunately for us HDabsoluters. I received a letter today from Dish saying most of this. Looks like I'll be migrating to 120+.

Is there a better deal for 2 HDTVs with DVR (currently 722 & 612) with channel selection close to Absolute? I can't wait for a la carte programming!

Around here, there are 3 "triple play" Fios options, with Ultimate being the top tier:
Prime.........15/5........$90.......180+ channels, 40+ are HD
Extreme....25/25......$105......275+ channels, 65+ are HD
Ultimate....35/35......$120......340+ channels, 85+ are HD

These apparently are "first year" rates, going up $40 or more thereafter. Plus, the "multi-room" DVR is the Motorola QIP 6416, discontinued by Motorola in 2008, with only a 160GB HDD and no 7.1 or MPEG-4 support, and is free for only the first year. It's $20/month thereafter. So after a year, my projected $105/mo bill would go up to $165. Actually, I'd want two HD DVRs, and the second one would be between $16 & $20/month. So they're just as expensive as Dish on receivers, and Dish receivers are far superior, at least to the Motorolas. It would seem there are no added charges, like for EPG, remote, etc. Just taxes.

Subtract one cent from all prices if you want to get picky. All packs above include unlimited land line calling.

Looks like after a year, I'd be paying about $185/month. I pay Dish just over a hundred, and about that to Verizon now for internet and land line. Consolidating would save me maybe twenty five bucks or so a month. And only that, if I assume they start distributing Cisco boxes around here, and I view them as close to the ViP722, and they have much larger storage and perhaps EHD support, and they have skip ahead and back buttons.

Maybe. But probably not worth it. Even after the price increase, for me, Dish is still the best bet.

Its the same for me basically. I think I added $19 for the Multimedia DVR ( free for first 12 months ) , HD DVR for $15 ( I think also free for 12 months ), and a HD STB for $9.

I get $10 off because Verizon offers "corporate partners" discount.

If you bundle your Verizon wireless on the "one bill", you get another $10 off your bill.

I don't know the taxes and any fees, but in the end its still a little cheaper. Like you said, probably not enough to loose sleep about.

I am waiting for the new ciscos to come out to see if they are better or not. I'm also considering the ceton card with windows media center or maybe even Tivo.

I'm fine with Dish, but it just seems to be getting expensive. I remember way back when I had a 508 DVR with the 250 package and it was something like $50-$60. Now I am at $107.

I know everything goes up, but doesn't hurt to shop around now and then.

Read every post but maybe I overlooked it. Do we actually know what premium channel will be offered as an olive branch or is this talk of Starz just conjecture?

I am wondering if this "FREE" premium pack is going to be more like a rotating Free-view. Different movie pack every month. Like this month we are getting free-view on Encore.

I hope it's not like a rotating free-view...I don't want to have keep wondering which one is free this month...

+1 That would not be a good choice, say you already have Encore then some months you really would not get any premiums free.

I agree with both of you. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I hope Dish makes a real effort to make this something worthwhile, not just a "re-gifting" of what Dish normally gives us through out the year. Really, IMO, I wish Dish would give us a year of .99 VOD. Now that would be a deal that could benefit both Dish & us.

Ghpr13:)

Look at the price of AEP back in 2000. It was 69.99 a month. Now look at the price presently at $99.99 a month. A $30.00 price increase in 10 years. So by 2020 it should be about $30.00 more and be about $129.99 a month. Well by February it will go up by $5.00 more and be $104.99 a month. Just $25.00 more to hit the mark in the next 9 years . I wonder how long people will stand for this kind of increases? I no longer even have a premium movie pack because with Netflix -with Starz plus, I don't really need to by a premium pack. Especially at $8.65 a month with tax included. I can buy True Blood episodes at $1.99 each from Amazon.com ,when it comes back on this summer. So I don't need any $16.00 a month HBO.

Now the biggest increase I face is the increase in price of the basic programming packs and of course the ever growing FEEs and the amount of them. I thought last year's increase in additional receiver fees was outrageous, but so far it hasn't killed DISH in total out right churn .. YET. But how many of us are willing to pay around $99.99 for basic cable programming packs? Because it is coming in the next 9 years. I think internet tv might be the next big thing that might surpass the traditional cable /sat company infrastructure. Hula and Netflix might become those companies that people subscribe to in order to buy just what they want as true ala carte.

Look at the price of AEP back in 2000. It was 69.99 a month. Now look at the price presently at $99.99 a month. A $30.00 price increase in 10 years...

so it avg. $3 a year. They are increasing the price by $5 which is locked in for 2 years which means that it is going up less in the next two years on avg. than it did per year over the last 10 years...
How many channels did AEP have in 2000 compared to now?

I hope it's not like a rotating free-view...I don't want to have keep wondering which one is free this month...
I disagree. Since the same movies play over and over on the same movie channel, rotating the free-view would give us more movies to choose from.

Look at the price of AEP back in 2000. It was 69.99 a month. Now look at the price presently at $99.99 a month. A $30.00 price increase in 10 years. So by 2020 it should be about $30.00 more and be about $129.99 a month. Well by February it will go up by $5.00 more and be $104.99 a month. Just $25.00 more to hit the mark in the next 9 years . I wonder how long people will stand for this kind of increases? I no longer even have a premium movie pack because with Netflix -with Starz plus, I don't really need to by a premium pack. Especially at $8.65 a month with tax included. I can buy True Blood episodes at $1.99 each from Amazon.com ,when it comes back on this summer. So I don't need any $16.00 a month HBO.

Now the biggest increase I face is the increase in price of the basic programming packs and of course the ever growing FEEs and the amount of them. I thought last year's increase in additional receiver fees was outrageous, but so far it hasn't killed DISH in total out right churn .. YET. But how many of us are willing to pay around $99.99 for basic cable programming packs? Because it is coming in the next 9 years. I think internet tv might be the next big thing that might surpass the traditional cable /sat company infrastructure. Hula and Netflix might become those companies that people subscribe to in order to buy just what they want as true ala carte.

I agree. I think in 10 years satellite/cable will only be a small piece of the current market, and most will get their networks OTA and ala carte via the internet.

And if you don't know what's on free-view that month? You miss out...

and yet Dish posts which channels are in free preview each month on channel 102. God forbid people take 30 seconds and go by there and take a look at the beginning of each month...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts