Dish Network® Outlines Upcoming Hd Launch Schedule

Two more satellites ready to go that MAY get to the proper orbit. :rolleyes: chickens counted, eggs not yet hatched.

More spin control and another year of being behind that other company. If D* is smart they'd be offering the moon for new subs. Maybe they are already and it'd be worth checking out.......

I tried giving DirecTV a shot at a 10-year DishNetwork Sub, and they wouldn't do ANYTHING other than what's on the website. Would have cost me around $500.00 to move. Ain't happenin.

i got a question. i live in a Chicago suburb so i get the wgn local and the super station. when the super station becomes available in hd will i get the local in hd as well

distant network channels in HD

Because I live in BFE OHIO I have to get my network channels from AAD. I recently wrote them and asked if they were going HD. Their reply was "when we do go HD you will be the first to know":rolleyes: Why do I not believe them.:confused::confused: My question is if Dish brings the Atlanta and San Fran locals on line with HD should not AAD be able to go HD also?

Scott- Regarding "official Press Releases-
I would guess that whenever a public company makes a significant announcement or expansion of offerings, they have to do it formally to avoid any possible SEC violations. Release of unofficial information may be construed as "insider" and if you buy or sell stock based on this it could be insider trading.

I'll defer to any experts on this but when I worked for a chemical company, after we went public, all announcements of product additions had to go through our legal dept and be done with an official announcement to the press according to SEC guidelines.

i got a question. i live in a Chicago suburb so i get the wgn local and the super station. when the super station becomes available in hd will i get the local in hd as well

Not necessarily. My guess would be "probably" because Directv has it. But it you really want it, get an antenna. The Picture is tons better and you can record three things at once.

If you are into baseball, with antenna and Dish you could get every Cubs and White Sox game in HD this season. Even the road games.

Correct they "may include". A few of those channels don't have HD versions yet, and some of those channels they dont have signed contracts for, but negotiations are almost complete for them.

I guess they can't announce channels officially until they are launched which is why press releases about new channels come out after the channel launches.

They can announce anything they want, whenever they want.

You guys seem to be forgetting that Discovery HD, TLC HD, Animal Planet HD, and Science HD were announced by Dish with a start date MORE THAN A MONTH before they went on the air. And History Channel HD was announced more than six weeks before it debuted. And weren't VS/Golf and MHD and National Geographic "pre-announced" as well? Ahhh, the good old days.

In many of those cases, the channels did not exist. But they announced it anyway. So there is precedent for it. I am sure there are other examples.

They also announced Big Ten Network before it was uplinked, but only a few days before it was uplinked.

This "May" and "Might" stuff gets tiring. Think about how much more interesting the Charlie Chat would be if they actually announced anything!

A pretty good source of mine says that Dish is contractually obligated to being broadcasting Disney, ESPN News, ABC Family, etc., when they debut March 31 or whenever. That's no guarantee that they will be uplinked and available, but his understanding is that there are financial consequences for Dish if it does not carry those channels in HD (He thought that there is a short term rate discount on ESPN and ESPN2 or some such).

So let's see if that happens. But IF they are obligated and IF they have allocated the space, then WHY THE HELL DON'T THEY JUST ANNOUNCE IT NOW? Directv already has.

It's stupid not to announce stuff like this. It does not make business sense. Take my case. I have been holding off on a 612 until I know more. And I will continue to hold off until I see more. And I would like to see it fast, as in SPEED.

AARGH where did Hartford/New Haven go to. My OTA antenna sux and was glad to see we were on the list for April last week. Was thinking of getting a new antennea until the list was anounced last week. What to do now ?? I guess I'll hold off for awhile and see what happens. Really don't want to go through the hassle of installing a new antenna. What a tease!! Now I know how Cleveland feals, I feal your pain

They can announce anything they want, whenever they want.

You guys seem to be forgetting that Discovery HD, TLC HD, Animal Planet HD, and Science HD were announced by Dish with a start date MORE THAN A MONTH before they went on the air. And History Channel HD was announced more than six weeks before it debuted. And weren't VS/Golf and MHD and National Geographic "pre-announced" as well? Ahhh, the good old days.

In many of those cases, the channels did not exist. But they announced it anyway. So there is precedent for it. I am sure there are other examples.

They also announced Big Ten Network before it was uplinked, but only a few days before it was uplinked.

This "May" and "Might" stuff gets tiring. Think about how much more interesting the Charlie Chat would be if they actually announced anything!

A pretty good source of mine says that Dish is contractually obligated to being broadcasting Disney, ESPN News, ABC Family, etc., when they debut March 31 or whenever. That's no guarantee that they will be uplinked and available, but his understanding is that there are financial consequences for Dish if it does not carry those channels in HD (He thought that there is a short term rate discount on ESPN and ESPN2 or some such).

So let's see if that happens. But IF they are obligated and IF they have allocated the space, then WHY THE HELL DON'T THEY JUST ANNOUNCE IT NOW? Directv already has.

It's stupid not to announce stuff like this. It does not make business sense. Take my case. I have been holding off on a 612 until I know more. And I will continue to hold off until I see more. And I would like to see it fast, as in SPEED.

Awww, now there you go dumping cold water on everything. Shame on you. :)

Awww, now there you go dumping cold water on everything. Shame on you. :)

I don't think that's cold. It's just frustrating. I really want another DVR and another HDTv. And my wife is pushing for it. And if DISH said something as simple as: "We will be picking up <list of channels> When E11 is launched and operational or before", they could have my money and commitment today.

This is the strategy that Directv used to keep people from Defecting when Dish was ahead. The fact that Dish is not doing something like this both frustrates all of us and makes no business sense.

Instead, this silence and puzzlement is pushing me to look at directv. I have only had one TV provider this Century, and I am going up to my Sister's house to see what exactly the differences are between her Directv DVR and my 622.

And its a 60-mile drive. They could stop me by giving out some real information. They could make more money off me. Why won't they?

Scott- Regarding "official Press Releases-
I would guess that whenever a public company makes a significant announcement or expansion of offerings, they have to do it formally to avoid any possible SEC violations. Release of unofficial information may be construed as "insider" and if you buy or sell stock based on this it could be insider trading.

I'll defer to any experts on this but when I worked for a chemical company, after we went public, all announcements of product additions had to go through our legal dept and be done with an official announcement to the press according to SEC guidelines.

Good point Don.
You know how the feds are cracking down on insider trading. Ask Martha Stewart how she liked jail. I am sure that Dish consulted with it's lawyers (they seem to be doing a lot of that these days)

From the Motley Fool:

However, maybe the real story here is how Dish Network sounds desperate -- and perhaps even overwhelmed. Yesterday, it disclosed that a new satellite fell short of reaching its intended orbit, delaying its high-definition content (including some local network channels -- ouch). Engineers from SES Americom and Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) are trying to correct its orbit, but if the measures work, they will "substantially" reduce the satellite's service life. Good times.
Maybe Dish Network shareholders have good reason to worry that the stock is going to fail to reach its intended orbit.