DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

subs are going to HD for life if the're paying the $10.00 HD fee, it applies to subs with no HD for life for what i understand

That was the way i read it too. So as an AEP subscriber before March of 2012 and already on HD for life I am entitled to nothing in terms of credits. :rant:

That was the way i read it too. So as an AEP subscriber before March of 2012 and already on HD for life I am entitled to nothing in terms of credits. :rant:

I am not sure about that. The word "OR" is on the slide---it also disscusses HD for life as a $10 add on.. I read it to mean that if you are on the $10 add on for HD For life you get that as a$10 credit and if you are not you get the general $10 credit.

I wonder if there is a way to get a clarification on this?

Interesting..... it says AT120+ subscribers activated prior to 1/17/2013 will get and additonal credit of $5 for 18 months. But the first $5 credit seems to only go to customers activated between 3/1/12-1/16/13. WTF??

At any rate, we upgrade to 120+ w/ MSP for RedZone, but plan on downgrading back to AT120 as soon as the last game of the regular season is over. Should we just wait until after 1/17/2013???

For years we had AT250, but after the AMC deal we downgraded to AT120 instead of disconnecting. We currently get the $10 off for 12 months. It would be cool if we get both as $15/month discount would be great!

What I didn't understand is how every quarter, Dish made millions in profit even though they lost subscribers for that same quarter. That was until now.

Perhaps more revenue per sub, lower expenses, or a combination thereof.

What I didn't understand is how every quarter, Dish made millions in profit even though they lost subscribers for that same quarter. That was until now.

Dish shed a bunch of unprofitable subs. Also, by not offering insane new customer deals, they cut down their costs of subscriber acquisitions. They also raised package prices and other fees along the way. Dish is not a non profit enterprise, they are just like all the other TV providers - out to make money.

When Dish signs up new customers they do it at a loss. So, net gain of customers = loss. If all Dish had was long term customers then they would have nothing but major profits. Since the goal is to get as many new customers as possible and keep them as long as possible you'd think they make better promotions for retaining long term customers. I think any customer that has been with Dish for over 5 years should get a better rate.

Price Protection Credit - applies to all accounts activated from 3/1/12 to 1/16/13 (ends 12 months after the activation date)

Additional Existing Customers Credit (activated any time before 1/17/13):
AT120: Credit of $5.00 for 18 months OR the remove of the TV 2 connection fee ($5.00) (plus the Price Protection Credit if you qualify)
if you're not paying the TV 2 fee, you'll qualify for the $5.00 credit for 18 months (plus the Price Protection Credit if you qualify)
if you're paying the TV 2 fee, it will be removed from the bill (for how long?) (plus the Price Protection Credit if you qualify)

AEP: Credit of $10.00 for 18 months OR the remove of the HD add-on fee ($10.00) (plus the Price Protection Credit if you qualify)
if you're not paying the HD add-on fee, you'll qualify for the $10.00 credit for 18 months (plus the Price Protection Credit if you qualify)
if you're paying the HD add-on fee, it will be removed from the bill (for how long?) (plus the Price Protection Credit if you qualify)

that's what i got reading the attachments

i think you'll get a $10 discount for 18 months (there is an asterisk * to qualify: http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=83517&d=1355862050)

Saw the asterisk, but the way it is worded "Eligible customers will only receive the 18-month credit if the do NOT have...$10/mo HD add-on..." I took that to mean that only those actually paying the $10 fee for HD every month would get the credit. While i have the HD add-on listed on my account I am not paying anything for it.

I really do hope you're right. That way I am only looking at a net increase of $5/mo for 18 months, which would last until the end of my current contract. My plan was to contact Dish or DIRT after the holidays to find out for sure if it is not settled here first.

One of these days the broadcasters and providers are going to push their customers over the fiscal cliff.:rolleyes:

One of these days the broadcasters and providers are going to push their customers over the fiscal cliff.:rolleyes:

Let's put this in perspective: It's tv. Nobody is forced to subscribe to any pay tv, at whatever price. Nobody HAS to watch tv.

I do have Dish 250 with BB, but I also have FTA satellite setup this year. There's tons of FREE stuff to watch on FTA. I probably wouldn't even keep Dish if it wasn't for my wife.

So, there's no forcing going on here, or pushing over a cliff, people can nearly always afford the things they want to afford. If people didn't continue to pay higher and higher prices, they would NOT continue to go up.

But if a tipping point is reached, it could get ugly for satcos, cablecos, and providers. It appears sports owners and Hollywood believe they can get everything they want out of us, with no limits. There could be some business failures. Hopefully, no bailouts.

And maybe a bankruptcy reorganization could yield 1 or more sat/cable cos with sports free options, or the entire lineup being sports free.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong. I can't see how people will pay hundreds of dollars taking the family to "THE GAME!" Yet plenty do. Redskins season tickets, anyone?

But if a tipping point is reached, it could get ugly for satcos, cablecos, and providers. It appears sports owners and Hollywood believe they can get everything they want out of us, with no limits. There could be some business failures. Hopefully, no bailouts.

And maybe a bankruptcy reorganization could yield 1 or more sat/cable cos with sports free options, or the entire lineup being sports free.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong. I can't see how people will pay hundreds of dollars taking the family to "THE GAME!" Yet plenty do. Redskins season tickets, anyone?

I agree, but the "tipping point" as you call it is also known as: "the price the market will bear". When it gets to that point, they'll have to back-off on any additional higher pricing. That will be good for us. If they don't, then they SHOULD go out of business and be replaced by a company that will give a price people will pay again.

Even with the new price announcement & expected Directv increase. Both companies stand to get a big boost in new subs with cable going 100% digital requiring a box for every tv. Local Charter is going to start transitioning in Jan.

Let's put this in perspective: It's tv. Nobody is forced to subscribe to any pay tv, at whatever price. Nobody HAS to watch tv.
Sorry, but there are supposed to be anti-monopoly laws on the books. American media has turned into just a few corporations which can hold one channel hostage for another channel to get higher rates. No one is forced to pay for television, but at the same time, ESPN isn't forced to bid ridiculous sums for sport broadcasting rights (Monday Night Football for instance). Their quasi-must carry status lets them bid whatever because they know they can up the rate on the sat and cable providers. Then you have OTA channels who should be kissing Dish and Directv for expanded coverage, yet hold them hostage to broadcasting rights for their channel.

I don't expect pay tv to be free, but I expect some reasonableness seeing I'm helping to pay the bill for their broadcasting rights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts