DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

Even with the new price announcement & expected Directv increase. Both companies stand to get a big boost in new subs with cable going 100% digital requiring a box for every tv. Local Charter is going to start transitioning in Jan.

That should make things interesting as monthly cable boxes seem to have a hefty monthly fee; I think some cable companies even charge for the first box. Cable around here is pricey even with free additional outlets (or at least I think that is how they word it....basically having more than 1 TV with cable).

I'm a little confused. Please forgive me if this has been asked. It's hard to read through all those pages.

I just signed up about 2 months ago. I have the Top 200. Will I be getting the $5 price protection credit? If so for how long. Thanks again guys I appreciate it!

That should make things interesting as monthly cable boxes seem to have a hefty monthly fee; I think some cable companies even charge for the first box.

some? Try most. Sure they give you a teaser or "free for 6 months" (Comcast does that) for a HD DVR but then its 17.95 after that...even if its the 1st one

But if a tipping point is reached, it could get ugly for satcos, cablecos, and providers. It appears sports owners and Hollywood believe they can get everything they want out of us, with no limits. There could be some business failures. Hopefully, no bailouts.

And maybe a bankruptcy reorganization could yield 1 or more sat/cable cos with sports free options, or the entire lineup being sports free.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong. I can't see how people will pay hundreds of dollars taking the family to "THE GAME!" Yet plenty do. Redskins season tickets, anyone?

Right now I believe it is a "get it while you can" attitude by programming providers. Raising prices as fast as possible to be on top when a correction happens.

It sounds like a lot of people might be downgrading. That should be bad for networks in the higher cost packages. Maybe some of the less watched channels will start going under. I just read today that TWC is going to start dumping some channels. The guy from TWC said,
"We've accumulated networks that hardly anybody watches," Britt said, according to the Wall Street Journal. "We can't keep carrying these giant packages…with the services that don't carry their weight."

He added:
"This stuff is just starting to cost too much. If we as a broader industry want to keep this going we need to get the prices of packages lower,"

Maybe we are getting close to that tipping point.

It sounds like a lot of people might be downgrading. That should be bad for networks in the higher cost packages. Maybe some of the less watched channels will start going under. I just read today that TWC is going to start dumping some channels. The guy from TWC said,
"We've accumulated networks that hardly anybody watches," Britt said, according to the Wall Street Journal. "We can't keep carrying these giant packages…with the services that don't carry their weight."

He added:
"This stuff is just starting to cost too much. If we as a broader industry want to keep this going we need to get the prices of packages lower,"

Maybe we are getting close to that tipping point.

I would agree but they nickel and dime you to death. I had TWC some years ago and before you even order a package of equipment you already owe $5 on your bill in the form of a franchise fee. Plus they raise their boxes and DVR fees all the time. I have been trying to get my parents to switch for year.

I would agree but they nickel and dime you to death. I had TWC some years ago and before you even order a package of equipment you already owe $5 on your bill in the form of a franchise fee. Plus they raise their boxes and DVR fees all the time. I have been trying to get my parents to switch for year.

That's funny, my Mom and Dad also have TWC, and I am always trying to get them to switch. I'm not really boasting about TWC here, but this is what I think all of the providers will have to start doing eventually.

Let's put this in perspective: It's tv. Nobody is forced to subscribe to any pay tv, at whatever price. Nobody HAS to watch tv.

I do have Dish 250 with BB, but I also have FTA satellite setup this year. There's tons of FREE stuff to watch on FTA. I probably wouldn't even keep Dish if it wasn't for my wife.

So, there's no forcing going on here, or pushing over a cliff, people can nearly always afford the things they want to afford. If people didn't continue to pay higher and higher prices, they would NOT continue to go up.

The cliff I'm referring to isn't the customers.As navychop mentioned,it's the broadcasters and providers that are heading for the cliff.At some point the market is going to go Boom!

One other thing that pops into my feeble mind....With prices climbing so high that opens up a lot of complaining from customers when channels are dropped.For instance,hey Dish you just raised my bill by $5-$15 why don't I get all the ESPN and Disney channels in HD.The we do everything to hold prices down motto no longer applies.I'd be willing to bet that the phone and chat reps will be getting a lot of business come Feb 2013.

I'm a little confused. Please forgive me if this has been asked. It's hard to read through all those pages.

I just signed up about 2 months ago. I have the Top 200. Will I be getting the $5 price protection credit? If so for how long. Thanks again guys I appreciate it!

12 months after your activation date (oct 2013)

One other thing that pops into my feeble mind....With prices climbing so high that opens up a lot of complaining from customers when channels are dropped.For instance,hey Dish you just raised my bill by $5-$15 why don't I get all the ESPN and Disney channels in HD.The we do everything to hold prices down motto no longer applies.I'd be willing to bet that the phone and chat reps will be getting a lot of business come Feb 2013.

I never did buy into that propaganda machine, especially given the fact that dish's top dawgs earn million$ a year.
How many million$ does it take to support your family & live comfortably per year?
I'll more than likely be keeping dish for a while & probably the same package even with the price increase. However they can blow their low cost smoke up someone else's .........:eek:

Even with the new price announcement & expected Directv increase. Both companies stand to get a big boost in new subs with cable going 100% digital requiring a box for every tv. Local Charter is going to start transitioning in Jan.
That's two year old news for my Mom (Comcast). And for most people outside of this forum, they will just pay the piper.

With yesterdays retailer chat confirming a new hopper to be announced at CES, I wonder if the 1/17 prices will include it or if we're in for another surprise upon its release.

Saw the asterisk, but the way it is worded "Eligible customers will only receive the 18-month credit if the do NOT have...$10/mo HD add-on..." I took that to mean that only those actually paying the $10 fee for HD every month would get the credit. While i have the HD add-on listed on my account I am not paying anything for it.

I really do hope you're right. That way I am only looking at a net increase of $5/mo for 18 months, which would last until the end of my current contract. My plan was to contact Dish or DIRT after the holidays to find out for sure if it is not settled here first.

We need something besides our own speculation. Is this something DIRT could help with?

Last edited: