DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

Is it possible to get just locals through dish and ditch everything else?

I signed up with dish when I got tired of fighting with flakey OTA TV reception. At that time, 3 years ago, we were a two income household. Now my wife is a stay at home mom and I'm working like a dog between school and work. Neither of us watch much TV. Netflix streaming and locals would be sufficient for us.

I've been thinking about it for a while, but the $10 increase on my 120+ package might be enough to make me scale back. TV just isn't that is important right now.

-SF

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have had Dish since 1996. I originally went with it because I had no access to Cable. I know Centurylink Prism has been bashed but, for me, Prism, DirecTv and my local cable provider (Suddenlink) all have better package value than Dish. Time to kiss it goodbye. A double digit increase is not reasonable to me.

I have had Dish since 1996. I originally went with it because I had no access to Cable. I know Centurylink Prism has been bashed but, for me, Prism, DirecTv and my local cable provider (Suddenlink) all have better package value than Dish. Time to kiss it goodbye. A double digit increase is not reasonable to me.

Almost makes you wonder if Dish would have been better off not selling the 2 years of no increase and instead took some last year and then a smaller one this year. Dish would have made more money since they would have had half the price increase already paying for the last 12 months. It is not a surprise that they would raise rates a bunch if they did not take a raise last year.

He's giving you credit for the story instead of claiming it his own. That's nice for the site & good reason for people to come here 1st.

My guess is DIRT learned of this yesterday from here & will comment when they can (officially).

My guess is Dirt and most every other Dish employee won't like the increases any better than we do.

My wife asked again about Directv. She doesn't like that DISH still doesn't have Disney Junior and this price increase does not sit well with her.

Well if the pessimists in the house are correct I cancel at least one premium. Likely Cinemax then perhaps Showtime since the SO cannot live without starz.

If we get a $15 or even $10 credit I will liekly sit tight.

Dish Press Release said:
However, we understand the impact this will have on our loyal existing customers. To help these customers continue to enjoy their programming at their current price point, we are introducing limited-time Price Protection credits for residential...
To Dish, a "loyal existing customer" is someone who subscribed between January of this year and now. The Price Protection credits expire 12 months after the "loyal existing customer" signed up with Dish.

Obviously, this is some new definition of Loyal that only applies to recent, not long-term existing customers. I signed up in the spring of 1996 and have been with Dish ever since. I guess I'm not Loyal, though, even though I thought I was...

I guess it's Good News-Bad News: Good News: I qualify for Price Protection because I signed up before January 13, 2013; Bad News: it expires in June of 1997.

My wife asked again about Directv. She doesn't like that DISH still doesn't have Disney Junior and this price increase does not sit well with her.

Really can't blame her.We are in with Dish for the long haul here.Still I feel with a $6 hike on our bill,I think its fair to complain about the lack of the Disney and remaining ESPN channels in HD.They should also have disney jr included.

The DIRT suggestion was largely just a desperate attempt to make sense of an ambiguous announcement.

Have you told her that Direct is going to have increase too...even bigger, probably?

Yea you know DTV will have a significant price hike as well.I think both companies will see a lot more of the switching promo customers now.

Somehow, I doubt it.

Unless they change the promotional offerings I don't doubt it a bit.Sign a 2 yr agreement with sat company A,then make the switch to sat company B in 2 yrs for more promotional pricing.

Unless they change the promotional offerings I don't doubt it a bit.Sign a 2 yr agreement with sat company A,then make the switch to sat company B in 2 yrs for more promotional pricing.
And why have the majority of the regular Dish folks here not done that already over the years? More to it than $.

I'm just going to sit back and watch how this all turns out in January. I can't break my contract and paid the ETF, but I might have to see about downsizing.
Ghpr13:(

I just looked at Directv's promos and even with the price guarantee for 2 years the programming package that would have both Disney Junior and Nick Jr. and would have every channel we watch would still be $20 a month CHEAPER for months 12-24 and this is including the equipment fees, etc.

Too bad we still have a year left on our agreement with DISH. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)