DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

I know they would add Disney XD over time. They should get rid some HD PPV movie channels as no one is going to pay that much to rent a movie when you can rent it from Vudu, Amazon or get it from RedBox much cheaper.

If the PPV were not selling they would not have them.

Agree. Maybe people don't rent as much as they would if they were less expensive through DISH, but I have to think therer are plenty that do rent that way to avoid going out to get a movie, or stop in traffic on the way home etc.. Convenience is a strong motivator.

...but I have to think therer are plenty that do rent that way to avoid going out to get a movie, or stop in traffic on the way home etc.. Convenience is a strong motivator.
That's the argument that cable used to use for PPV. I realize everyone's situation is different, i.e. where they live, proximity to video-rental places (fewer and fewer nowadays !!), but we would probably never make a trip just to pick up a movie. It would always be part of another trip that we're making anyway....

IMO, the price would have to be 1/2 what they typically charge for new releases on PPV ($6-7) before we'd consider renting them more frequently (or similar to how often we rent from Redbox). And before someone says "Redbox doesn't always have movies when they're first released", my response is "so what ?". We can wait.... ;)

Hey Scott, have you heard anything about E* showing us NYC DMA folks some RSN love? They have systematically eliminated all of the local sports networks here over the last few years (and for some reason, I missed the credit on my bill for not getting one like every other DMA in the country). The worst is that they still black out any local sports teams that hit ESPN, etc.

OK.... Thanks. I'm not sure why they have just given up on NYC sports completely. Verizon Fios pull keeps getting stronger here. At first, all my archived content kept me in the fold, but since I can stream most of it via Hulu Plus/Amazon/etc. my resistance is weakening....

OK.... Thanks. I'm not sure why they have just given up on NYC sports completely. Verizon Fios pull keeps getting stronger here. At first, all my archived content kept me in the fold, but since I can stream most of it via Hulu Plus/Amazon/etc. my resistance is weakening....
Try to convince Disney to buy them and that should take care of that problem.

Greetings from the middle of the sea. Finally we are cruising into some warm weather! :)

Got an email overnight from someone who told me the new Disney contract does not go into effect until April 9th. (Not an April fools joke.)

This seems to be confirmed by an update was was sent last night to DISH commercial retailers which said..

ESPNU -HD, ESNWS - HD, Disney HD, ABC Family HD are scheduled to launch in MPEG4-HD on both Eastern and Western ARC on April 9th for Commercial programming packages containing these channels.

This could mean that we don't see the internet access for the ESPN / Disney channels made available to us until then. (Although since I am out here at sea I have not been able to do my normal digging around.)

So with that said I am just passing along with what I have been told.

Have a great day everyone!

Greetings from the middle of the sea. Finally we are cruising into some warm weather! :)

Got an email overnight from someone who told me the new Disney contract does not go into effect until April 9th. (Not an April fools joke.)

This seems to be confirmed by an update was was sent last night to DISH commercial retailers which said..

This could mean that we don't see the internet access for the ESPN / Disney channels made available to us until then. (Although since I am out here at sea I have not been able to do my normal digging around.)

Thanks for the update Scott. Have a great vacation. We're all jealous.

Thanks Scott for update and have a great cruise! :)

photo(1).PNG Dish is now listed as a provider for WatchESPN on my iPhone. I just logged in a fired up ESPN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts