DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Autohop is MUCH better than 30 second skip or FF. I can't see how anyone can make an honest assessment otherwise. With Autohop you don't do anything, the commerical just gets skipped. With either of the other options you have to manually do something. Is it a big deal to push the 30 second skip button 6 or 7 times, no, but would I rather just sit there and have the box do that for me itself - YES! What is the logical argument that 30 sec skip or FF is better?

I prefer the skip ahead (when it WORKS!). I like the glimpses of commercials. Sometimes I will skip back to see something interesting; keeps me in control. Puts pressure on the makers to make better, more entertaining commercials.

It's not that I hate commercials. It's that there are so many of them! It is not uncommon for me to hit skip ahead 6 or even 8 times in a row!

Well only a small portion of Dish customers have probably upgraded to a hopper........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Someone posted some numbers here. I wish I could find that post- I think the number of deployed Hoppers was in the millions. More than I expected. The conversion may be going faster than they expected. Maybe it will encourage them to pull from service some older models, just to save on software maintenance and improvement expense. That can only hasten the day that WA gets 8PSK & MPEG-4.

Last edited:
I prefer the skip ahead (when it WORKS!). I like the glimpses of commercials. Sometimes I will skip back to see something interesting; keeps me in control. Puts pressure on the makers to make better, more entertaining commercials.

It's not that I hate commercials. It's that there are so many of them! It is not uncommon for me to hit skip ahead 6 or even 8 times in a row!

See we are just different. I hate them :)

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

you do realize there are only a handfull of tv stations involved in the talks..dish has won in court and if Disney wants a deal done "autohop" should be no big deal?

It is a bid deal because it would set a president for future negotiations with other carriers

They should update the title when or if there's a deal done, instead of scouring through meaningless post no offense, even though I'm a Directv sub I still watch this particular thread for updates. Oh the suspense:)

you do realize there are only a handfull of tv stations involved in the talks..dish has won in court and if Disney wants a deal done "autohop" should be no big deal?

Dish has not won in court. There has not been a trial. The only thing that has been decided so far is that the court was not convinced that the big 4 would suffer irreparable harm by not granting an injunction until the trial. And of course the "handful" happen to be the largest markets in the country.

Of course if you are suing Dish why would you license your programming to Dish if they will continue to autohop? That would negate your whole court case.

I see this going one of 2 ways: 1. Dish disables autohop on ABC stations or 2. Dish pay ABC extra for customers to skip commercials.

If ABC is suing Dish to stop the hopping why bother licensing their programming?

If Disney gets $2 or more a month for ABC (like CBS did from Time Warner), it better include autohop, at these prices TV is becoming less and less important. I scrolled through the guide today in my office, while I was on hold for half an hour, and not a single thing of interest on. I dropped my programming down a level again while I was waiting.

the Disney/ABC/ESPN network logos are missing again. Some game they're playing with us. Just pull the stations so we can get free programming and an ipad.

Dish has not won in court. There has not been a trial. The only thing that has been decided so far is that the court was not convinced that the big 4 would suffer irreparable harm by not granting an injunction until the trial. And of course the "handful" happen to be the largest markets in the country.

Of course if you are suing Dish why would you license your programming to Dish if they will continue to autohop? That would negate your whole court case.

I see this going one of 2 ways: 1. Dish disables autohop on ABC stations or 2. Dish pay ABC extra for customers to skip commercials.

If ABC is suing Dish to stop the hopping why bother licensing their programming?

A read of the 9th Circuit's ruling upholding the lower courts denial of a preliminary injunction makes it pretty clear the big nets have, to put it kindly, little chance of winning, but both Dish and the Nets knew this from the start. The lawsuits have absolutely no leverage. It will come down to negotiations for retransmission. CBS was more hurt by not being on TWC than the MSO was hurt by not having CBS.

I see this going one of two ways:
1. Dish keeps Autohop, but still pays more for ABC O&O's
2. Dish keeps Autohop as ABC comes crawling back, as did CBS to TWC.

the Disney/ABC/ESPN network logos are missing again. Some game they're playing with us. Just pull the stations so we can get free programming and an ipad.

Yeah, I noticed this, as well. I am HOPING that Dish took down the logos to reload them as HD logos. :). Lets hope.

A read of the 9th Circuit's ruling upholding the lower courts denial of a preliminary injunction makes it pretty clear the big nets have, to put it kindly, little chance of winning, but both Dish and the Nets knew this from the start. The lawsuits have absolutely no leverage. It will come down to negotiations for retransmission. CBS was more hurt by not being on TWC than the MSO was hurt by not having CBS.

I see this going one of two ways:
1. Dish keeps Autohop, but still pays more for ABC O&O's
2. Dish keeps Autohop as ABC comes crawling back, as did CBS to TWC.
:D
Or it could end like this
Trades auto hop for a cheap price for programing.
lots of post from the dish fan boys that auto hop didn’t work anyway and their buddy Charlie made the right choice

Dish doesn't carry RSNs in NYC so not that many customers would be affected by a ABC auto hop block..so why would ABC even care

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts