DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

If anybody here with a Hopper remembers when they upgraded, and if the CSR did their job, the disclosures read to you mention that the AutoHop is "subject to availability", and that language has been there. I think Dish has known all along that it could be a dealbreaker.

Next up: How stubborn is Charlie? Would be ever admit defeat?

Question to Hopper users: Would you give up AutoHop to keep your stations? I can tell you, people have and do call in when they say their AutoHop isn't working properly, and they're having to see commercials. People do like the technology.

Autohop is not that big of a deal. If dish stops using autohop today it wuld not loss the subscribers.

On the other hand if ESPN and Disney leaves dish it would hurt their bottom line

Time warner found this out the hard way; when CBS was off that cable network. Dish benefited from that as it give dish a boost in subcribers.

In all this talk about Disney, ABC, ESPN it appears that CBS has taken notice and might want to play nice with DISH.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/les...otiate-with-dish-network-over-ad-zapping-dvr/

Here is the main part of what CBS is saying

The CBS chief is taking Dish Network Chairman Charlie Ergen at his word after he said this week that there’s a way for broadcasters to benefit from his Hopper DVR, which automatically zaps ads on recorded shows. “We’re very flexible. We’re willing to negotiate,” Les Moonves told investors today at the Guggenheim Securities TMT Symposium. Calling Ergen “a very smart man” he says “if there’s a way to do this that benefits everybody, we’re very open to it.” But the bottom line has to be that “we need to get paid for our content…. We spend $2M an episode for NCIS. I have to pay for it.” Broadcasters have sued Dish alleging that the Hopper infringes on their copyrights; Dish counters that it simply automates the ad skipping that DVR viewers already do. The fate of the device is an issue in Dish’s current program carriage negotiations with Disney. Ergen says the Hopper “has built-in technology that can target commercials to customers in a better [way]” and “give the broadcaster more revenue” — although he added that “it’s not a proven concept yet.”

The target commercial part is the main hang up in talks with Disney. Charlie wants a higher fee for the service, while disney wants to pay charlie less.

Maybe in the end if Charlie can't win he will take a play from the big Canadian service providers and by the networks as I believe the big 3 in Canada, Bell , Rogers , Shaw bought up all the networks now(minus CBC which is government funded) so if the providers here started doing that I'm sure these fights would go away real fast.

I hate these networks. "We don't make the money we used to make on advertisements, so we decided charge for retransmission." OK, then auto hop came about. "Whoa, your auto hop feature cuts our ability to make money off advertising. Disable it!" Which is it? Do you make your peanuts off advertising, or retransmission? Pick one, and cry about your funding on that one thing!

They've made it clear, they want to make money every time we see/hear something. No more libraries of music or videos.

Remember Circuit City's DIVX self destructing discs?

Think about this,Dish subs were up by 35,000 3rd quarter.They have had one of the most aggressive ad campaigns I can ever remember,in every ad I have heard or seen,PTAT and autohop are the highlights of the ads.So again,Charlie isn't going to back down from autohop.Most analysts thought Dish subs would be down for Q3,obviously the ad campaign is working.

Then think about it from Disney's perspective.Dish has just over 14 million subscribers,if they were to suddenly lose 14 million subs that would be a huge hit to them as well.They obviously don't want that,that's another reason that the negotiations have been extended with no black outs.

Who knows how long the talks will take,but I do believe they'll reach an agreement and autohop will still be alive.

Think about this,Dish subs were up by 35,000 3rd quarter.They have had one of the most aggressive ad campaigns I can ever remember,in every ad I have heard or seen,PTAT and autohop are the highlights of the ads.So again,Charlie isn't going to back down from autohop.Most analysts thought Dish subs would be down for Q3,obviously the ad campaign is working.

Then think about it from Disney's perspective.Dish has just over 14 million subscribers,if they were to suddenly lose 14 million subs that would be a huge hit to them as well.They obviously don't want that,that's another reason that the negotiations have been extended with no black outs.

Who knows how long the talks will take,but I do believe they'll reach an agreement and autohop will still be alive.

Agreed. But perhaps with some changes, some things we haven't seen yet.

Agreed. But perhaps with some changes, some things we haven't seen yet.

I could be wrong,lord knows I have been before,but I don't think there will be any significant changes.Disney only owns 8 network channels.Autohop is a moot point on all the rest.

Well, the locals stations still make the vast majority of their revenue from ads, so I can understand how they will attack technology that will impact their ad revenue. The alternative is for the locals to start charging $3-$5 per channel to make up for the lost revenue from AutoHop - and say hello to paying $25/mo for your locals. (Also, not sure how else locals are going to be able to make the money to pay their costs - what new model can they move to?).

Do you really think that my local station makes $6 a month in ad revenue just from my household? That seems a bit high. I'll bet it is much lower than that.

In all this talk about Disney, ABC, ESPN it appears that CBS has taken notice and might want to play nice with DISH.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/les...otiate-with-dish-network-over-ad-zapping-dvr/

I would not be surprised if autohop stays and ends up on more providers like DIRECTV in the long run. I be CBS now sees that ABC might be able to get a re-transmission surcharge out of Dish to cover the "lost commercial revenue" from autohop and wants to jump on board and get their autohop cash. Of course that will result in re transmission fights down the road, because I am sure that the networks will want to raise the commercial skipping fee every time re-transmission deals come up.

I think it has been discussed that Direct may have skip software but is waiting to see what comes down the pipeline with auto hop

I think when this deal is done this will be one that sets the tone for providers and broadcasters

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Maybe we'll go back to the old days when commercials were placed into the story line of the show. Come to think of it with 18-22 minutes of commercials in a 1 hour show that may be a challenge to the writers.

Sheldon: Leonard, have you seen my Carnation's Evaporated Milk?
Leonard: Say goodnight, Sheldon.
Sheldon: Now why in the world would I say that?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)