Dish with 47" Vizio HDTV?

wkilpatrick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Just curious if anyone else here is using a Vizio HDTV LCD with their dish subscription. Here lately i have been having a problem with the color (mostly on the reds) and they look like they are bleeding through. I am thinking it must be a setup problem in the color adjustment so I was curious if anyone else out there was having this problem.

Just curious if anyone else here is using a Vizio HDTV LCD with their dish subscription. Here lately i have been having a problem with the color (mostly on the reds) and they look like they are bleeding through. I am thinking it must be a setup problem in the color adjustment so I was curious if anyone else out there was having this problem.

That's the TV we have and no, there's no problem. It looks great with DISH.

Was helping a friend with one of those last night check the advanced color settings, there should be something called Flesh tone adj or something similar try switching it to off if it is on. Also try cycling through the default color settings see if any of those help.
What receiver are you using & what connection from the receiver?

What connection are you using? HDMI? Component? S-Video? Connection type can make all the difference as well as tuning you TV.

Ask others asked - connection ?

If the problem wasn't there all along, it could be the early signs of a failing hdmi. If you're using hdmi, might want to try component.

My friend's father has 3 Vizio LCDs and he loves them. They look really good to me. (except blacks).

Still with a problem of Red bleeding I immediately think of the connection has being the culprit.

First inspect your connection, if its component, then make sure all of the connections on both ends of the cable are properly seated.

if that passed, then move the component cable to the other set of component inputs on the TV.

Then swap out the cable, then try HDMI on both HDMI inputs, just keep trying until you can isolate the problem.

If the colors still look back after you have tried both types of cable media (component & HDMI) on all four HD inputs on the TV (2x Component & 2x HDMI), then I would have to conclude that your TV is bad.

But I suspect that its a cable issue.

Yeah I know some folks having some issues with Vizio Brand.

We're using HDMI if that helps and have just about every input filled..in fact, we had to disconnect the computer to hook up the satellite box because both our OPPO 981 and PC (dvi-hdmi) were hogging the 2 hdmi ports. Sadly, 2 hdmi is just not enough.

PS What Vizio issues have you heard? I'm a AVS nut and particularly hang out in the Vizio/LCD threads and have seen far less issues with Vizio than Sharp or Westinghouse...or even Sony. About the worst thing you can say about Vizio is that the specs (CR, etc.) aren't great..but at least they work. No Sharp banding or Sony clouds or 'hdmi drop-out' ala Westinghouse so all-in-all, I think they're pretty decent tvs as long as you make sure you're covered for a decent amount of time on the warranty. Thats where these tv makers get you.

getting one too

Looking to get one maybe this weekend. Excited to see some feedback on this topic. All post to this thread when I get mine hooked up. Looking to get E* HD and OTA locals.

As I noted in another thread I picked up the 32" Vizio from Sam's Club for using at my football tailgates this year. I was really impressed when I hooked it up to play with my portable setup last weekend.

I have a 32" vizio in my bedroom and it looks great with Dish HD, got it from sams club, for the money it is a great Tv heck my dad saw how it looked and went out and bought himself one last month he liked it so much.

For the HDTV buyer on a buget it is a nice set for the money

We're using HDMI if that helps and have just about every input filled..in fact, we had to disconnect the computer to hook up the satellite box because both our OPPO 981 and PC (dvi-hdmi) were hogging the 2 hdmi ports. Sadly, 2 hdmi is just not enough.

PS What Vizio issues have you heard? I'm a AVS nut and particularly hang out in the Vizio/LCD threads and have seen far less issues with Vizio than Sharp or Westinghouse...or even Sony. About the worst thing you can say about Vizio is that the specs (CR, etc.) aren't great..but at least they work. No Sharp banding or Sony clouds or 'hdmi drop-out' ala Westinghouse so all-in-all, I think they're pretty decent tvs as long as you make sure you're covered for a decent amount of time on the warranty. Thats where these tv makers get you.
I live by Sonys. I have Philips thats pretty nice to but Not even close on picture quaility. I look at Vizios just for a cheap bedroom tv ,and NO ONE could reccomend them. I'm not sure what problems they have or had, but IMO I wasn't going to risk it. As far as sony problems,I have a 32" thats 6 years old and the picture is as good as the day I brought it home. But my daughter went through 3 tv's in that time, RCA,Goldstar,and Zenith. IMO ,you get what you pay for.

<...> I look at Vizios just for a cheap bedroom tv ,and NO ONE could reccomend them. I'm not sure what problems they have or had, but IMO I wasn't going to risk it. <..>

If there are no problems provided, then all that buzz works as marketing plot from other TV manufacturers.

Sorry, but your motivation consider do not own the TVs doesn't have merits.

Hi
I have a 47" Vizio and its about as good as good gets. Blacks could be a little darker but I'll trade that for the brightness. Mine is hooked up with the HDMI and I have no problems at all. The picture is FAR better than my old Panasonic 47" RP CRT. No problems with blurring or color bleeding. No banding like reported on the Sharps either.

Great value for the money

Rick

Hi
I have a 47" Vizio and its about as good as good gets. Blacks could be a little darker but I'll trade that for the brightness. Mine is hooked up with the HDMI and I have no problems at all. The picture is FAR better than my old Panasonic 47" RP CRT. No problems with blurring or color bleeding. No banding like reported on the Sharps either.

Great value for the money

Rick
I like the way they look,and it looks like the have a lot of connections. Maybe I'll look into them a little more when I get ready to replace my Sony 32". Keep me posted on your thoughts with your tv.

If there are no problems provided, then all that buzz works as marketing plot from other TV manufacturers.

Sorry, but your motivation consider do not own the TVs doesn't have merits.
Well thanks for your imput! Your a heck of a salesmen. Your imput povided Nothing as well. If you go to Cnet.com you can see ratings for HD TV's,and out of all the Vizio tvs rated ,the highest is a 6.9. Not too bad but when you see Sonys with an 8 + ratings along with many other brands,that would be for the most part enough info for me to look else where.

I have nothing against Sony..I currently own 2 VEGA model CRTs. However I spent less than $500 on each.

We're talking a 47" LCD you can pick up for $1,099 TODAY (check deal sites) or $1472 at SamsClub or slightly more at Costco. Sony is at least twice that price and those 2 new 'sony value sets' at Target (32" and 26") are a joke at the price they're selling at. So even though I am fond of Sony and have always thought they had the best pic, it was a no brainer to pick Vizio on price.

The differences are extremely minor; mostly its about the contrast ratio but unless you go to a true LED-BLU LCD, those inflated 10,000:1 CR listings are mostly marketing gimmicks. Almost everyone selling LCDs purchase their LCD panels from the same 3 or 4 plants overseas..all use the same glass. Since there are virtually no LED-BLU units out except the new Samsung 81s which cost and arm-and-a-leg, I'll stick with an 'average' spec'd Vizio until the compromises (no 120hz, low CR still) are worked out. In about 2 years time, IMO we'll see LCD as the only game in town and by then, I hope LED units are much less expensive.

PS I have a 42" Vizio and 47". Here are pros & cons:

Pros
- cheap
- no real 'systemic' issues; early models had slight buzzing/hum and lip sync issues which have been worked out w/ new units which vizio will replace under warranty
- love the 'touch sensitive' buttons on the 47". Very elegant design..too bad its the only vizio past, present & future to feature that.
- decent specs and inputs including 2 HDMI, component, QAM/ATSC tuner, etc.
- I've hooked up a pc using a dvi-hdmi cable & get INCREDIBLE 1080p (1920x1080) resolution. Picasa slideshows never looked better. My advice is buy a $20 wireless keyboard so you can sit across the room and arrow through your slideshow.
- nice look; simple black panel if you remove speakers (on 47' & some 42s) and the matte-finish on the screen virtually eliminates reflections..you can look at these in a room with the sun streaming on the screen and its still incredibly bright & vibrant
- good warranty; no dead pixel guarantee, on site repairs/replacement

Cons
- average specs
- not very good black levels
- question as to how they'll hold up long-term after warranty runs out

PS Having said all that, I think at $2,200 the new 52" LCD is woefully over-priced for a Vizio. They should have come out at $1,899 and that would have generated a buzz. I really think Vizio is going to lose momentum unless they get more aggressive with that price in a hurry. I don't have the least bit of interest in that unit at that price.

Last edited:
I have the 47" and the out-of-the-box settings are much better with HDMI. I have it hooked up to component as well and those settings are extremely red. You can mess with the input settings though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)