Facepalm thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So a POS game called Fur Fun came out recently, and the "devs" are basically throwing down DMCA YT takedowns on smaller channels that point out what a POS the game is. What makes this more aggravating is that the person issuing the DMCA's is a Youtuber himself.

Jim Sterling sums up the situation pretty well here.

The one user that really brought this to more people's attention was SidAlpha, who describes his situation here:

This is a new one...

A developer claimed that Jim Sterling committed trademark infringement by posting an unapproved YouTube video of the game. The dev thought that by putting it in the EULA that that somehow made it not only legally enforceable but also allows it to supercede other laws like fair use.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Jim has posted a video about this stupid studio claiming trademark infringement as an acceptable reason to take down a YouTube video (TL:DW; Trademark law doesn't work that way)

People have found the company's FB page, pointing out what stupidity they're exhibiting. From this post, it's clear they still don't understand how WRONG they are, and the idea that their EULA is some sort of super legal agreement that supercedes all other laws.

Just in case any of you thought that StiCli games may just be made up of a bunch of foolish souls who simply don't understand how the law works and aren't really bad people, here's something they tweeted in regards to a plane crash.

NSFW Language.

Activision is selling DLC for Call of Duty Remastered. Remember when "Remaster" meant that you got all DLC for free?

Not only that, but they're charging $5 more than they did when it came out for the original 10 years ago.

It was bad enough when they forced people to buy MWR with IW, but now forcing people to buy separate DLC at a higher cost is completely unjustifiable.

A look at the Like/Dislike ratio and the comments shows I'm not the only one with this way of thinking.

Yeah, I really liked my playthrough of the Modern Warfare Remastered campaign but I played very little of the multiplayer. Even if I had played a lot of it I wouldn't buy this DLC. I haven't found the DLC to be necessary for any of the COD games.

The DLC for Black Ops 1 was decent. The bits I played of the DLC in Black Ops 3 during their free weekends didn't motivate me to want to get those either.

The bigger issue is that this sets a horrible precedent. I REALLY hope this plan BOMBS so that other game publishers don't take up the idea of releasing remastered/GOTY editions without all the DLC in it and try to force consumers to buy stuff again.

The DLC for Black Ops 1 was decent. The bits I played of the DLC in Black Ops 3 during their free weekends didn't motivate me to want to get those either.

The bigger issue is that this sets a horrible precedent. I REALLY hope this plan BOMBS so that other game publishers don't take up the idea of releasing remastered/GOTY editions without all the DLC in it and try to force consumers to buy stuff again.

Over the last few years I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of DLC just isn't worth it. Certain story based games do very good campaign DLC but most campaign DLC doesn't feel necessary to me. It's usually a minor side story and a lot of times it doesn't even make that much sense once you have already completed the main game.

I find multiplayer map packs to be even less worth their cost most of the time. This isn't always the case but in most of these games I have already moved on to something else before the DLC starts coming out. When I did buy the DLC for older COD games I didn't end up playing on those maps anyways because my friends didn't buy it.

Games like Overwatch and Titanfall 2 have it right. Don't fracture the player base by selling new maps. Give everyone that stuff and make your extra money by selling loot boxes or other cosmetic crap.

Edit: I do agree though. Trying to sell DLC for a remastered game is a bad look and it would be a bad trend if other publishers try to do the same.

Another sad reminder that blind fanboyism still exists nowadays...

So Jim Sterling did a review of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and while he did like it overall, he had more issues with it than the majority of other reviews it seems. He gave it a 7/10, which means he thought it was good.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review/

Well, apparently that wasn't "good enough" for some of the rabid Zelda fanboys and girls out there. Here's some of the stuff he's been subjected to since publishing:

Oh, and apparently some brilliant fans decided to put up a Straw Poll about whether Jim should be lynched. Now, there's no proof that this is "serious" versus just being a satirical response to all the hatred thrown his way, but he's treating it as the former.

Link because of NSFW language that comes up when directly linked.

Last edited:
Due to having political beliefs that I will charitably call "Interesting," popular YouTuber JonTron has not only lost many subscribers, but now will have his voice work removed from the upcoming Yooka-Laylee game.

http://kotaku.com/yooka-laylee-ditches-jontrons-voice-acting-over-his-per-1793570816

Some background on JonTron's views (Note: let's not delve into defending/attacking his beliefs, as that sort of stuff is Pit territory)

http://gizmodo.com/popular-youtuber-jontron-has-some-batshit-crazy-thought-1793231221

http://kotaku.com/youtuber-jontron-tries-to-clarify-his-controversial-vie-1793419660

I think the moral of the story is that if you're a public figure and are not openly a political activist, don't bother sharing your beliefs on things, because no matter what they are they're going to annoy SOME segment of your audience. Ignorance is bliss I say.

Update: JonTron has commented:

Last edited:
I think the moral of the story is that if you're a public figure and are not openly a political activist, don't bother sharing your beliefs on things, because no matter what they are they're going to annoy SOME segment of your audience. Ignorance is bliss I say.
Works for private people to. I keep most of my social media free of political posts, because someone is going to get butthurt over something. Too many don't know how to separate politics from the real world.

A disgruntled For Honor player on Reddit has proposed filing a Class Action lawsuit against Ubisoft because... he wants a full refund? Needless to say, his calls to fight don't go over as well as they did when done by the heroes you play as in the game.

Another "Hate out of 10" BS controversy..

Laura Dale (AKA Laura K Buzz) and Jim Sterling are under fire from Sony/Persona fanboys because Laura was commissioned by Jim to review Persona 5 for his website and she gave the game an 8.5 out of 10, with people criticizing her on the belief that it was unfair for her to say that the game would be better on the Vita. Apparently these people missed the part where she said it was still a great game if THAT was her only complaint and she put in 120 hours in 2 weeks.

I spoke about this yesterday on a recent video I did.

A disgruntled For Honor player on Reddit has proposed filing a Class Action lawsuit against Ubisoft because... he wants a full refund? Needless to say, his calls to fight don't go over as well as they did when done by the heroes you play as in the game.

While it looks like that's going nowhere, but in its place is a self imposed For Honor Blackout set for April 3rd, where a bunch of Redditors supposedly agree to not play on that day to send some sort of message to Ubisoft. I will be unified with my gaming brethren and will also abstain from playing For Honor that day, along with every day that follows. ;-)

http://www.gamesradar.com/for-honor...-day-long-blackout-to-get-ubisofts-attention/

While it looks like that's going nowhere, but in its place is a self imposed For Honor Blackout set for April 3rd, where a bunch of Redditors supposedly agree to not play on that day to send some sort of message to Ubisoft. I will be unified with my gaming brethren and will also abstain from playing For Honor that day, along with every day that follows. ;-)

http://www.gamesradar.com/for-honor...-day-long-blackout-to-get-ubisofts-attention/

This whole thing is kind of dumb. So what if it costs $700 to buy every cosmetic item in the game? Why do you need every cosmetic item in the game? Using their logic no one should ever be playing Overwatch because I don't even want to think about how many loot boxes you would need to buy to get everything in that game.

The truth is that when you factor inflation into the discussion games are cheaper right now than they have ever been. The average NES game went for $50 in 1990. According to this handy inflation calculator that is $95.73 in 2017 money. Games are constantly on sale at highly discounted prices but even at the full $60 we are paying significantly less for games now. At the same time development and marketing budgets have increased exponentially.

If people aren't willing to pay more for games developers and publishers are going to look for other ways to increase their revenue. People have soured on the idea of a season pass that divides multiplayer communities into the haves and have nots so lots of games are switching to completely optional cosmetic item sales.

This is the best solution in my opinion. The developers can bring in more money and people who just want to buy the base game don't have to buy anything else to have the same multiplayer experience as their friends.

It should be noted that these guys aren't JUST complaining about the microtransaction issues. That is a big part of it, but there's also issues with player balance, connectivity, and various other things that are making fans mad.

In any case it looks like their plan worked. Ubisoft acknowledged that they saw the planned blackout thread and went over the complaints and said they're going to try to address them. They already made some changes in response.

http://kotaku.com/as-for-honor-players-threaten-a-boycott-ubisoft-offers-1793843782

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts