FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

How many poeple do you think actually know it's for sale that arent reading this site? My installers had no clue. I havent seen it mentioned anywhere else.

I think a high % of the people that have it got it from finding out about it on this site.

Jason Whiddon said:
How many poeple do you think actually know it's for sale that arent reading this site? My installers had no clue. I havent seen it mentioned anywhere else.

I think a high % of the people that have it got it from finding out about it on this site.

Anyone who browses their online account would know. Interest and purchasing would be heavily slanted toward people like us, but that doesn't make up for the fact that it is available to anyone with a Hopper with no mention that you'll have to be lucky if it works any time soon.

Anyone who browses their online account...
I'll venture to say that a much lower percentage of Dish customers "browse" their online account, even fewer look at the 'store' page, and those that do will have little clue what this "OTA module" is. Do NOT foolishly believe that the typical Dish customer (and I am not in any way insulting Dish customers) use online forums to talk about their TV provider's equipment and features !

Without looking it up, what percentage of households in the US do you think use OTA ?

IIRC, OTA use if you have a provider is quite low, which is why they dont build tuners inside anymore. Hell, when you can see the numbers, HD use is still quite low.

Last I read, about 15% of households in the US depend upon OTA as their main or only source. After years of decline there has been some small growth lately. A slightly smaller %age use OTA as a secondary source. IIRC.

jackhawk said:
No Hopper systems do not support diplexing.

I have mine diplexed on both of my hoppers. I have no joeys and no need for the hoppers to talk to each other so isolators were used to block the moca signal.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

joekawasaki said:
I have mine diplexed on both of my hoppers. I have no joeys and no need for the hoppers to talk to each other so isolators were used to block the moca signal.

Well there you go. So most people wouldn't want that. Btw, if your Hoppers are on the same LAN, they'll see each other anyway.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Errr, I'm wondering if I can place both the satellite signal(s) AND the OTA signal onto the same coax so I don't have to run another coax cable to my Hopper/OTA receiver...

sofakng said:
Errr, I'm wondering if I can place both the satellite signal(s) AND the OTA signal onto the same coax so I don't have to run another coax cable to my Hopper/OTA receiver...

Lol. That's called diplexing. If you do that it interferes with MoCA.

gpflepsen said:
Between the Node and the Dish? Hopper is no different there than any other system where diplexing works. Or so it would seem.

Period. Diplexing before or after the node kills the MoCA signal.

gpflepsen said:
Between the Node and the Dish? Hopper is no different there than any other system where diplexing works. Or so it would seem.

I have mine diplexed after the node. I'm not using moca so it's not a problem.

I don't use MoCA (unless that's how the Joey communicates to the Hopper) so I don't think that would be a problem.

@joekawasaki: are you diplexing an OTA antenna feed to the Hopper or something else?

OK - I've done my research...

It looks like MoCA operates on the same frequencies as the OTA frequencies so a diplexer won't work. However, I think if you use ethernet to connect the Hopper and Joey then it might work ...? (since you don't need MoCA then)

sofakng said:
OK - I've done my research...

It looks like MoCA operates on the same frequencies as the OTA frequencies so a diplexer won't work. However, I think if you use ethernet to connect the Hopper and Joey then it might work ...? (since you don't need MoCA then)

Yes and yes :) . Ethernet and WiFi aren't supported by Dish though, so you'll have to troubleshoot any problems that arise on your own. That being said, I have a Joey on WiFi and it's never had any major issues.

sofakng said:
I don't use MoCA (unless that's how the Joey communicates to the Hopper) so I don't think that would be a problem.

@joekawasaki: are you diplexing an OTA antenna feed to the Hopper or something else?

Yes, I am diplexing an OTA antenna feed to 2 hoppers. The cable from the OTA antenna is split and then diplexed after the duo node.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)