Furious with dish, forced to disconnect

jaschier

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2005
I setup a dishmover (free under dhpp which i have) last week for today. Moving from duplex to 3rd floor apartment. Apartment rules: no holes drilled into balcony or railings. Therefore, would have to go with bucket mount. Installer called this morning and asked some questions and said no, we can't do your dishmover, because we are a Regional Service Provider, and our contract with E* prohibits us from doing bucket installs, we must screw it into the railing or no install. Period. So I call Dish, tech asks whats going on and realizing can't do anything, transfers me to Winback. (I know all the ins and outs, worked at one of the calling centers for over 18 months). He offered to give me one month's credit of $70 to offset the cost of hiring another local retailer to come do the bucket install plus flat cabling that can go through sliding glass door. (another apt rule that no holes drilled in exterior walls or connected any way to existing cabling in the apt).

So I called a few local guys and was only able to get a hold of one, who said he could do it for $60, plus $60 for first hour labor and $30 for each additional. Knowing that all I needed was a dish 500 with no switches or long cable runs (i have a 522) and one cable plus separators, and then one cable run to the 2nd room in apartment, it shouldn't take any more than 2 hours at most. $150 for someone else to do install when any other customer that calls up gets it free if they have dhpp or have been a customer longer than i have been. Coach said best she could do was $30. I said wanted $150, just so I could break even (which I would have with a dishmover). She transferred me to ERT executive resolution team, formerly EODN, and said best he could do was $70. I told him that's not really true, when working for them I had seen them give as much as $350 to someone's acct. He transferred me to ERT supervisor, and said he could do $99.95, the 'value' of a free dishmover. Basically said that I should have known that RSP's don't do bucket mounts at all. I said I wasn't asking for 3 free months just to keep from going to another provider, or whining because I have to wait 5 days for a service call and I can't watch my favorite shows or anything like that, I just wanted to break even like I thought I would with the dishmover. He said I see that you were a former employee and just working the system. Take the $99.95 or bye. The whole time I was under control, not being rude or obscene whatsoever.

My only other choice is Cox cable, because I won't be in the apartment a full year to sign up for Directv. But i'll lose ESPNU, CSTV, and others I care about, and gain absolutely nothing from Cox. On top of that, if I go ahead and take the deal, the $100 and hire the local retailer, I'm not 100% sure I can get a signal. I believe I can based on sight of other dishes in the area, and direction, and stuff, but even if I couldn't, it would be $60 for the trip plus the $60 for the first hour for a minimum of $120, and I have the chance of getting no programming if i can't get LOS.

I'd email ceo@blah blah blah but I believe that goes to executive offices which i spoke to today and one of their supervisors, both of which left a bad taste in my mouth.

Any suggestions or comments? Am I completely off base here? I mean they were going to give me the $99.95 value dishmover for free anyway, all I'm asking for is an additional $50, less than 1 month of programming credit.

$60 an hour to install, take the $99 offer. Get a bucket and some cement and a pole make your own mount that is going to take the most time. If you have the bucket mount ready it shouldn't take an hour to mount and point the dish.

In half the time it took to whine, you could halve done it yourself! :rolleyes:
My apologies if you are 100% disabled.

But it's $60 for them just to come out, and $60 for the first hour. If he gets there and is gone in by 1 hour, then its $120. If he gets there are and can't get a signal, it's $120 plus i have no tv. you're suggesting I risk the $120 and no tv, and take the $99.95 credit? If he can get signal, i'm down $20 if its under an hour. down $50 if its more than 1 hour. If i do that and can't get signal, and get the 99.95 credit, i'll have paid the $120 but will I just end up getting a check in the mail for 99.95 is 4 weeks?

BTW, I can't do anything with the right half of my body b/c I just had back and neck surgery :D or else i'd be out there tryin my best

Ok first of if you were an employee you should know that apartments are pretty hard to install in. You should also know that Dish does not allow the use of flat cable with DP installs (they have been known to catch fire).

So you would have to use Legacy LNB's. This means two duals and two SW21 switches plus two lines running into the apartment.

Why don't you take the 99.95. Go and get a bucket and a pole and do the install yourself. You should be able to get a used Dish with switches for way less than 99 off ebay or people on this board.

Sorry to hear that. :eek: Just getting back from 2 weeks on my back, myself.

It's still too bad a buddy coudn't help you out with an easy job, and you could come out $99 ahead. :)

Can't see the locals not stepping up either. As a dealer, Dish would pay me $100 plus another $50 if you had the dish with you. (If they had to supply a new dish it would be a wash)I know thats not a lot, but with a little extra you talked Dish out of it would be pretty fair.

I'd do it for the $150 all day! :)

Where you an employee? call center?

If the DNSC cannot do your install, then 1. buy a compass and see if you have a line of sight 2. Go to any electronic store and run all the cable for the tech 3. If you can do it yourself, the tech will be able to get your signal in under an hour!

I took 2 C-clamps and installed a dish on a balcony rail once....It's easier than a bucket!

Well seeing as your an ex csr I cant say that Im feeling your pain of trying to reverse engineer the system. Most likely its on your account that you were an employee and your account id will also show that as well and once it went to winback it would have popped up a few flags. Getting $100 to cover your install is worth it, you should try to contact the other guys though befor you settle on the one you found unless your ok with paying that much money out. You can use 2 small coldwater grounding clamps to atach the dish mast by way of the foot plates inner bolt holes, this will work on the iron railings easily and only takes 5 mins to set up. Bucket mounts by the way are the worst mount you can use because its not secured making it easily moveable.

Dave nye said:
...You should also know that Dish does not allow the use of flat cable with DP installs (they have been known to catch fire).

Confirmed. There is a possibility of a the cable catching fire and burning itself out.

But I've never been told that Dish forbids it. They aren't liable for an install they didn't do: hence the subcontractors.

Find a Different apartment. This is the real problem Pole bucket mounts are a pain in the *ss and you basically want it for free.

1st we have to buy the extra materials that Dish is not going to pay for Fence post, Flower pot and Cement about $20.00 home depot and 40 min to an hour.

2nd you have to pre put the pole together at the shop only takes 15 min.

3rd Load the truck and drive to your apartment 30 min.

4th you have to carry it 3 floors 50 to 80 lbs.

5th you don't know if you have line of sight so 1-3 maybe wasting time

6th have to use flat coax you will need 2 $2.00 and a Legacy Twin on your dish then you don't need SW21 switches. 40 min.

7th you want all this for free when you move in less that a year again.

You are the exact reason why I don't do apartments. Apartments are a BIG CHURN percentage customer and as a former employee you should have check the rules at the apartment and line of sight before calling dish. They just wasted money by sending out the first tech and with you moving every year how is Dish ever suppose to make any money off you. This is why they are only going to pay $100.00.

ZandarKoad said:
Confirmed. There is a possibility of a the cable catching fire and burning itself out.

But I've never been told that Dish forbids it. They aren't liable for an install they didn't do: hence the subcontractors.

Dishnetwork pulled the flat cable from its inventory about 2 years ago and has made it clear to its installers and RSP's that they are not to be used. I wouldnt be so quick to say that they are not liable considering that they do contract dealers and subs and rsp's to sell, service, and install its product.

#11 Today, 06:38 AM
ZandarKoad
Registered User Join Date: Apr 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The use of Flat Coax is not Dish approved also 99% of apartment install are illegal by Dish standards (Flat coax, No Grounding, bucket mounts ect.) and there churn rate is higher not really that value of a customer unless you live in a major city a high percentage of apartment dwellers churn. thats why I send them to Radio Shack.

zandarkoad and I both do dnsc fullfillment. While we both realize that apartment installs do not meet Dish standards, we also have been flat out told to get it done regardless. They tell us to have them sign off there is no place to ground, use of flat cable on superdish applications, bucket mounts, U-bolts holding up a superdish 8 feet in the air etc etc.
Basically, get the job done at all costs. Sacrifice quality, safety everything just get it done or we will find someone else who will get it done and get it done cheaper. Personally I have not failed a single dnsc QC in 2 years of doing their work. They tried twice and both times I went out with our qc tech and took pictures of the ground that the DNSC could not find or did not look for.
I think they turn their heads at apartment installs altogether and honestly I think most of the QC techs don't check very well. Copper straps on electrical conduit does not consitute a proper ground, yet that is what we are given to use and they pass the "rigorous" QC's.

Word.

Efficiency rating is held to such a high standard, that any QC issues are obliviated. Besides, if someone is going to get sued, odds are it's not Dish. It's going to be the sub. So dish would gladly turn its head in these circumstances. Note: I'm referring to instances where you CANNOT do a job without voilating a QC rule. Not those instances where you just don't WANT to do a job without violating a QC rule. Big difference.

I've used many hundreds of flat cables. I've never failed a QC for using a flat cable. My point being: Dish DOES have a double standard, but they have it for a reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)