HDMI cable for SONY HD-ready Projection TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Widewader

Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Southwest Tennessee
I'm a Direct newby. We have a 47 in. SONY HD-ready projection TV. Our HD picture quality is was decent with Dish, but noticeably better after we switched to Direct. We aren't presently hooked up with an HDMI cable. Will it make picture quality any better to buy and install an HDMI cable? If so, what kind should I buy. I am stunned at the costs I'm seeing for a 6 foot cable at Wal-Mart. I found a site on Google that suggested that there's little or no difference between a cheap one and a high-priced one. Any suggestions?

I assume you are using component cables (red, green & blue outputs). Don't use the composite (yellow) or s-video. The picture quality between component and HDMI is negligible. Raoul is right, that's the best place to get HDMI cables, and since the price is so good, it's worth getting a few cables. I have one TV connected via component cables and one connected via HDMI.

Here's the product you might want at that site: ($3 + shipping)
HDMI 6ft 28AWG High Speed Cable w/Ferrite Cores - Black

For that price, it's worth trying both ways and seeing what you like best. The issue is running audio cables if you use component. You already have it run if you are setup and working. The convienence of one cable for audio and video is nice with HDMI, especially if you have alot of cables or HDMI on your home theater.

Does your Sony TV even have an HDMI input?
I used to have a rear projection 53" HD-ready Panasonic that had a DVI input. I found a low cost cable online with a HDMI end and a DVI connector on the other that worked great.

I've found that some ppl who have never messed with HDMI confuse a DVI connection as being a HDMI.

In regards to expensive HDMI cables vs cheap ones, in short runs, there will never be a noticeable difference if any at all.

If you want HDMI get the cheapest available

Will it be better then component?
Well, they both will deliver 1080i and that is the highest level D* delivers other then PPV type stuff.

At the end of December when I got my new set up, I bought five 5’ high speed HDMI 1.4 cables, five 6’ CAT 6 ethernet cables and a 50’ CAT6 ethernet cable. Total came to just shy of $27 from Monoprice. Get your stuff from Monoprice! :) Fast shipping too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)