NCAA Basketball 2008-09 Season

Bill, how hopeful are you for the B.C. hoops team?

Realistically, I think 6th or 7th place is the ceiling for the Eagles this year.

UNC, Wake Forest, Duke, Miami and Virginia Tech are the ACC top five, IMO.

The Eagles do have one of the best players in the ACC in Tyrese Rice, but there's little else after that. They do have a couple of sophmores that looked pretty good in their freshman year: Josh Southern and Rakim Sanders.

When it comes to college hoops I'm more of a UConn guy anyways. I've met Jim Calhoun a few times (he grew up one town over from me), and he's a very classy guy!

Realistically, I think 6th or 7th place is the ceiling for the Eagles this year.

The Eagles do have one of the best players in the ACC in Tyrese Rice, but there's little else after that. They do have a couple of sophmores that looked pretty good in their freshman year: Josh Southern and Rakim Sanders.
BC was picked 11th in the ACC so they may be in for another long year. Tyrese Rice is good. I still remember him torching the Heels to the tune of 34 points in the 1st half! Unfortunately everybody else sucks pretty bad. I used to give Al Skinner the benefit of the doubt beause he has developed so many unheralded players in the past, but after last season I'm not expecting any miracles out of BC.

Top early season matchup: UNC vs. KY. Yep, that's right. KY didn't do too bad last year, with their no. 1 shooting guard playing with a sports hernia (Meeks), and a small forward trying to play on a knee with a microfracture (Derrick Jasper, now a transferee, in my opinion because he wanted a year off to let his knee heal), not to mention Patterson out the last five games of the year with a fractured bone in his ankle. Now Patterson is well, Meeks has recovered after surgery, and KY has recruited a couple of JUCOs who should help out.

(As a side note, Derrick Jasper is an absolutely terrific guy and should be in the NBA some day. Seeing him play in pain the way he did was enough to make your teeth hurt just from watching.)

Plus, Hansbrough will be out of shape by the 18th of November even if he plays. Now if only a couple more NC guys will sprain ankles, or something...(just semi-kidding):) (Probable result: UNC by less than 7.)

Fitzie (formerly a UK student, now an alumnus, and certainly a fan)

Top early season matchup: UNC vs. KY. Yep, that's right. KY didn't do too bad last year, with their no. 1 shooting guard playing with a sports hernia (Meeks), and a small forward trying to play on a knee with a microfracture (Derrick Jasper, now a transferee, in my opinion because he wanted a year off to let his knee heal), not to mention Patterson out the last five games of the year with a fractured bone in his ankle. Now Patterson is well, Meeks has recovered after surgery, and KY has recruited a couple of JUCOs who should help out.

(As a side note, Derrick Jasper is an absolutely terrific guy and should be in the NBA some day. Seeing him play in pain the way he did was enough to make your teeth hurt just from watching.)

Plus, Hansbrough will be out of shape by the 18th of November even if he plays. Now if only a couple more NC guys will sprain ankles, or something...(just semi-kidding):) (Probable result: UNC by less than 7.)

Fitzie (formerly a UK student, now an alumnus, and certainly a fan)
Hansbrough is NEVER out of shape. But we are a little banged up. Marcus Ginyard is out until mid Dec with a broken foot. The biggest problem for Kentucky is who is going to play PG? I've heard it may be Micheal Porter :eek:. If that's true then I'm not concerned about this game in the least. Who am I kidding? I still wouldn't be worried even if Rajon Rondo was playing. :D

Hansbrough is NEVER out of shape. But we are a little banged up. Marcus Ginyard is out until mid Dec with a broken foot. The biggest problem for Kentucky is who is going to play PG? I've heard it may be Micheal Porter :eek:. If that's true then I'm not concerned about this game in the least. Who am I kidding? I still wouldn't be worried even if Rajon Rondo was playing. :D

A player with an incipient stress fracture is not going to be running up and down the court, or skipping rope, etc. Unless Hansbrough does a lot of swimming, he will lose his lung condition and some muscle tone. In addition, he will lose two weeks of hard practice with the team. He's a banger, and if he can't bang, how good can he be?

But even so, I recognize that UNC probably has 8 or 9 high school all-americas on the team, including some players who could probably have made NBA teams this year even if drafted at the lower levels. All else being equal (meaning no serious season ending injuries) I expect the UNC team to dominate in the NCAA tournament. But for a one time, early season shot, and especially with Ginyard out, UK should play them close, very close.

If Porter is the point guard, KY has problems and there's no doubt about that. He's a nice young man but just slightly slow to play point guard at the highest levels. However, Ky has Liggins, the freshman out of Chicago, and a JUCO transfer named Galloway who both have prime time talent. Whether either will be able to merge with Coach Billy Gillespie's game plan by Nov. 18 is the big question. Both seem to be bigger and quicker than Porter, who claims he is a No. 2 shooting guard anyway. Porter supposedly spent all summer honing his shooting skills, so we'll just have to wait and see.

If KY should happen to win that game, just remember that UNC should win the NCAA championship this year (and maybe next year as well). That Roy Williams fellow can flat-out recruit.:)

Best regards, and good luck this year against everyone except UK. Especially beat Coach K and the dookies!

fitzie

When it comes to college hoops I'm more of a UConn guy anyways. I've met Jim Calhoun a few times (he grew up one town over from me), and he's a very classy guy!

Though I am not a Hurricanes college hoops fan...I think they are gonna make alot of noise in the ALWAYS tough ACC(THE toughest in my opinion).

Now that Tennessee has the worst football team I can remember in my 22 years in Knoxville. I'll turn my attention to basketball. Tennessee has some good OOC matchups this year.

12/16 - #16 Marquette
1/3 - at #24 Kansas
1/7 - #10 Gonzaga
1/24 - #13 Memphis

A player with an incipient stress fracture is not going to be running up and down the court, or skipping rope, etc. Unless Hansbrough does a lot of swimming, he will lose his lung condition and some muscle tone. In addition, he will lose two weeks of hard practice with the team. He's a banger, and if he can't bang, how good can he be?
Hansbrough is a horse. He's not losing any muscle tone. As far as how good he can be without banging, ask Rick Pitino about the two cold blooded jumpers Hansbrough hit at the end of the RF against Louisville. Good luck to Patrick Patterson, or anyone else, tying to guard Hansbrough on the perimeter. I suspect Roy may cut Hansbrough's minutes a bit, but that's all. He'll still give 110% when he's out there. Besides the 2nd half will mostly be garbage time so we can put the freshmen out there and see what they can do. :D

Hansbrough is a horse. He's not losing any muscle tone. As far as how good he can be without banging, ask Rick Pitino about the two cold blooded jumpers Hansbrough hit at the end of the RF against Louisville. Good luck to Patrick Patterson, or anyone else, tying to guard Hansbrough on the perimeter. I suspect Roy may cut Hansbrough's minutes a bit, but that's all. He'll still give 110% when he's out there. Besides the 2nd half will mostly be garbage time so we can put the freshmen out there and see what they can do. :D

Even horses can lose muscle tone. Yeah, I think Roy will cut his playing time the first game or two back. I'll admit Hansbrough surprised me a little at the end of the year, he had improved some. But worry about the perimeter? Not with Hansbrough on a potential stress fracture...

If you watched UNC-UK last year, you know the game was over about half-time. Lots of garbage happened in the last 15 minutes of that game, none of which made UK fans happy. We may see the UNC freshmen this year, but I don't think for garbagetime: they'll be all out trying to make up for Hansbrough and Ginyard's lack of production. Maybe we'll get to see freshmen Liggins and Miller for UK matching up with the UNC freshmen in a desperate battle for the win. That would be fun.;)

fitzie

Jai Lucas transferring from Florida.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3684583"]Florida Gators guard Jai Lucas to transfer - ESPN[/ame]

2009 Men's NCAA Basketball Tournament

MLB Net Adds Live Saturday Games

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts