New and Existing customer prices.

Do you have to have a tech set this up for you? I have a VIP722 now so the wiring should all be in place. I only want a hopper, no joeys. I'm capable of connecting the thing myself and setting it up.
if you're interested in getting it subsidized/leased, then it more than likely will require a tech visit.

If you buy your equipment outright, i'm guessing you can do whatever you want.
Do I have to sign a contract again with the $100 upgrade fee or is there a price where I don't have to sign a contract?
contracts and tech visit fees haven't been fully laid out by Dish. We're assuming there's a contract under their lease promotions based on how they've done it in the past.

Still not sure if I want to go this route just yet, but as an existing customer, can you have up to three Joeys for free for each Hopper you purchase? Or is there a fee for additional ones after the first three?

If I went all out on the H/J system I would need 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys so I need to know if that fourth Joey would cost anything.

May I ask- Why would you want a Hopper for a single TV? Your bill will be the same, and you'll be paying up front yet gain no additional TV capability. And at least for a short time, you'll lose OTA. Is the Guide, UI, extra tuner & PTAT as a whole the big draw? Or is a single feature of prime interest?
I don't want to speak for him, but the bigger hard drive along with the extra tuner/PTAT is nice. And some of us have enough or all of our locals on Dish already.

For me, I currently have a single tv, but the extra tuner, hd guide, larger hard drive and the ability to add Joeys in the future if needed is definitely worth it.

-Todd

Still not sure if I want to go this route just yet, but as an existing customer, can you have up to three Joeys for free for each Hopper you purchase? Or is there a fee for additional ones after the first three?

If I went all out on the H/J system I would need 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys so I need to know if that fourth Joey would cost anything.

Additional Joeys beyond the third will have to be purchased for $99.

I just got confirmation that a fourth Joey is only available with a two Hopper equipment configuration.

Scherrman said:
Additional Joeys beyond the third will have to be purchased for $99.
That is a deal breaker. I will need 2 Hoppers and 6 Joeys in order to replace everything I have. That upfront cost is too much right now. Maybe in the future I will be entice when the Joeys are all free.

Sean Mota said:
That is a deal breaker. I will need 2 Hoppers and 6 Joeys in order to replace everything I have. That upfront cost is too much right now. Maybe in the future I will be entice when the Joeys are all free.

A deal breaker? How are you doing it now? No way you can feed that many tvs independently without spending some cash.

It never was. Consensus is it was a mis-statement to begin with.

It was in the retailer chat.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-fo...retailer-chat-recap-hopper-4.html#post2779715

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-fo...retailer-chat-recap-hopper-4.html#post2779719

Upgrades for Joeys are $0 for Plan A and B and $100 for Plan C customers.

Last edited:
yaz96 said:
What happened to the FREE 1 Hopper/3 Joey for Plan A customers? Did that get scrapped already?

It was never said to be that way. The Hopper and three Joeys for free is only for new customers. The pics from the retailer chat are showing the info for new customers. Most of the confusion on here are people just misinterpreting the info.

I just got confirmation that a fourth Joey is only available with a two Hopper equipment configuration.

So that implies the Hopper can only handle 3 at once. What happens when one of the Joeys on the "wrong" Hopper needs to watch something on the one to which it's not attached? Or is this just another one of those infuriating rules out of nowhere, like the "no mixtures of VIPs and XIPs" rule?

Yes, they want to send a tech. And it's not wired the same as the ViPs. For a single unit, close, but not quite the same.

May I ask- Why would you want a Hopper for a single TV? Your bill will be the same, and you'll be paying up front yet gain no additional TV capability. And at least for a short time, you'll lose OTA. Is the Guide, UI, extra tuner & PTAT as a whole the big draw? Or is a single feature of prime interest?

3 sat tuners, PTAT and 250 hours recording capacity. Right now I use a VIP and a Tivo so I can have more tuners and more total space. I also use a EHD with the VIP. My OTA signal for the tivo is also flakey at my location, not due to distance but rather we're in a bit of a valley with some obsticles so I can't reliably get a couple of OTA stations.

The money I spend on the tivo I can use to ugprade my dish package and bring everything to one receiver instead of having to manage two. And with the storage capacity of the Hopper it would allow me to then use my EHD for other things.

Last edited:
Just to make it easier to find what the actual price will be to get the Hopper system I reposted this here. It lists what your cost would be if you're a New or Existing customer.

New customers pay a $99 fee to get the Hopper and up to three Joeys.
If the new customer subscribes to the AT200 or higher, that fee is credited back.
If the new customer would like a second Hopper, they would have to pay a $199 upgrade fee.

Existing customers will Have to pay $100 for the fist Hopper and $100 for the second Hopper.
Customers that are not in good standing or have recently signed up will have to pay $200 for the first Hopper and $200 for the second Hopper.
Existing customers will be able to get up to three Joeys for $0.
Existing customers that are not in good standing with Dish will have to pay $100 for each Joey they want.
Existing customers may also have to pay the technician visit fee of $15 or $95.

I hope this clears things up for everyone. Let me know if I have any known mistakes.

Is that price for the second hopper right or is that a typo? I haven't seen this price for a second hopper. The only price I've seen is either $199 to lease or $499 to own?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)