New Fee

Yeah well, right now that is all in the future. There is no reason for any channels to be in SD. People are willing to pay for HD, so why doesn't Dish capitalize on that? I'd pay a little more for an "all HD" experience. Is it a bandwidth issue?

I would rather have a channel in HD. However, having access to that channel in any form is okay by me. Many diginets are not available in HD. METV is one of the few. So many of the cheaper TV's do poorly with SD. My brother-in-law has a 40" Vizio and the pq on SD is terrible, yet my Toshiba looks pretty decent. Not quite as good as my old 30" Toshiba CRT EDTV (480p), but still fine. It will be sometime until all channels are available in HD and then Dish will need the extra space. Yes, there is a bandwidth issue. Dish can add SD channels all day and have room, but with an HD signal taking 4 times the space, there just is not enough room.

Customers may leave, but Charlie is going to milk all the money that he can out of those left. You notice that Dish's net income goes up every year, even though the customer count goes down.
Actually, I remember that that wasn’t true a few quarters back for the first time I can remember their profits dropped along with their sub count. This was one that didn’t account for Lawsuit payouts like the TiVo case DISH had to pay all at once. I just can’t remember if it was last year or 2016. Either way the days when DISH could rely on ever increasing profits are dwindling. Their Sling tv numbers are up to 2 million and that doesn’t rake in the revenue like the satellite side does neither additional receiver fees and Dvr fees ,etc.

Reactions: pattykay
Cells will be mounted on telephone poles..much closer to homes
That would require telephone or power poles. Those do not exist in extremely remote locations. No cable, no landlines, no cellphone towers, no utility power, no OTA broadcast stations within your line of sight, no true broadband. Where satellite TV and satellite internet are the only options. Streaming services are not an opton over satellite internet. Too many users on the limited bandwidth available due to a lack of other options. I chose to live off-grid, so I'm not complaining. I love the freedom and self-reliance that it requires to live like this. I just wanted to point out that there are many off-grid or limited grid families that have little to no options. Unlike me, for some of those it's not by choice. Many were raised this way, living off of the land, and they lack the resources to move closer to services.

Bob

That would require telephone or power poles. Those do not exist in extremely remote locations. No cable, no landlines, no cellphone towers, no utility power, no OTA broadcast stations within your line of sight, no true broadband. Where satellite TV and satellite internet are the only options. Streaming services are not an opton over satellite internet. Too many users on the limited bandwidth available due to a lack of other options. I chose to live off-grid, so I'm not complaining. I love the freedom and self-reliance that it requires to live like this. I just wanted to point out that there are many off-grid or limited grid families that have little to no options. Unlike me, for some of those it's not by choice. Many were raised this way, living off of the land, and they lack the resources to move closer to services.

Bob
How do you get electricity? Wind mill out back?..Hard to imagine a dirt floor..non electrified..back woods cabin with a satellite dish

We have a couple of customers who are off the grid and have their own solar power systems and back-up generators.

Solar power I can see, with local battery storage. I wouldn't call a diesel or gas-powered generator as "off-the-grid", as you're still reliant on a "utlity" company to furnish your energy.

No, it’s unlimited internet. But as far as Data caps go, yes, there are data caps for the speed. And those have gotten much better. But my Cox internet has Data caps. DSL has data caps...

So looking at HughesNet, they have Gen 5 unlimited plans. There is a data cap, but once crossed, still downloads between 1-3 Mbps. That’s enough for low quality streaming, and matches some DSL providers.
As to comfortably_numb, yours may not, but plenty do. Same with cable, and cellular.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts