Predictions on last week's sales

I'll be curious to see the actual numbers behind this, but it's definitely noteworthy, especially the HP numbers, which I expected to be much stronger for BD.

I'm also curious how HP stands if you add up HD and BD and compare that to the Bourne sales.

Well, from Hollywood Reporter, we know:

On the HD DVD chart, "Bourne" outsold "Potter" by a margin of nearly 2-to-1. On the Blu-ray Disc chart, "Pirates" remained in the top sales spot for the second week, with newcomer "Potter" debuting at No. 2.

So, between Dave Vaughn's & HR info, we don't know numbers but know sale ratios are:

1- Bourne Ultimatum 100.00
2- POTC 3 >67 <100
3- HP5 BD 67
4- HP5 HD 50 or slightly higher

So, Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix BD & HD combined were at least 117% of Bourne's sales. And that's just the single title, not including box sets.

You're right, anything's possible. HD-DVD could do a good BOGO to shift things too. Maybe "official" is too strong. "Unlikely" is probably better.

Their two minor BOGO's were matched by Blu nearly every time.

Universal and Fry's have a laughable catalog sale this weekend. ($16.99 for ooooooold catalog titles. I will probably buy Serenity.)

I will take 1.2:1 for Potter. That is kickass considering a nearly 5:1 HW advantage plus HD-DVD supporters were distracted by Bourne.

I admit I did not do my part. I waited until the BOGO free sale at Worst Buy this week to get Potter and Bourne.

I admit I did not do my part. I waited until the BOGO free sale at Worst Buy this week to get Potter and Bourne.

Stupid question: do the "weeks" for these numbers run from Tuesday to Monday, since Tuesday is release day? Or are they actual calendar weeks.

Just asking since that BB sale started on Sunday, so at least a couple days' worth of it would have been included in those numbers, and I can see a bunch of people picking up Bourne and Potter together on HD-DVD...

Stupid question: do the "weeks" for these numbers run from Tuesday to Monday, since Tuesday is release day? Or are they actual calendar weeks.

Just asking since that BB sale started on Sunday, so at least a couple days' worth of it would have been included in those numbers, and I can see a bunch of people picking up Bourne and Potter together on HD-DVD...

That's not even close to a stupid question. I've heard they run Saturday through Sunday. However, I've never read a definitive this is how it goes.

I do know that Worst Buy sales make up the bulk of the numbers.

That's not even close to a stupid question. I've heard they run Saturday through Sunday. However, I've never read a definitive this is how it goes.

The Nielsen VideoScan reports are for Monday through Sunday. Take a look at last week's Top 10 Title report - notice it says Week Ending Dec. 9.

hd12-17-07-top10.jpg

So, for a new release, the first week's report on VS actually only covers 6 days - Tues. through Sunday.
I do know that Worst Buy sales make up the bulk of the numbers.

Yes, a recent Video Business article reported -

OCT. 5 | Best Buy has emerged as the leading retailer of Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD titles by a wide margin, easily topping DVD-dominant Wal-Mart, according to the NPD Group.

Wal-Mart carries a third-place share of the high-definition software market, followed by Circuit City and Target. Amazon.com sits in second.

Yes, a recent Video Business article reported -

Quote:
OCT. 5 | Best Buy has emerged as the leading retailer of Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD titles by a wide margin, easily topping DVD-dominant Wal-Mart, according to the NPD Group.

Wal-Mart carries a third-place share of the high-definition software market, followed by Circuit City and Target. Amazon.com sits in second.

Not hard to do around here. Walmart dropped carrying BD and HD-DVD here, just a few discs scattered here and there left over from when they used to stock them. BB has an entire isle now of HD movies, 4 BD and 3 HD-DVD sections.

Not hard to do around here. Walmart dropped carrying BD and HD-DVD here, just a few discs scattered here and there left over from when they used to stock them. BB has an entire isle now of HD movies, 4 BD and 3 HD-DVD sections.

Yep, that way in Tucson - Best Buy has a whole aisle of HD, evenly split with BD on one side, HD DVD on the other. Last week with the BOGO sale it was packed - and with the BOGO, I made my 2nd high-def purchase from BB. The Walmart a few blocks away in East Tucson doesn't carry any High-def. You have to drive down to South Tucson, where they carry 20-25 titles - locked in a glass case that always takes a 5 minute search for the clerk of the day with the key. But, I don't bother them much, most titles are $29.95. Thank goodness for Amazon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)