Questions about The Hopper?

gregleg

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jun 5, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I would think it would be easier to just dump the whole transponder and demux later on demand -- one (fat) stream to write instead of 4 for the same net effect.

As for why you can only then pull out the "Big 4" initially, that's probably a matter of licensing (the big 4 agreed to it) and consistency (different regions will have a different mix of channels on the relevant transponder, but they'll all have at least their big 4. Much easier to market "records all 4" than saying "records 4 in some markets, 5 or 6 in others...")

Lt Disher

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 26, 2009
Iowa
I would think it would be easier to just dump the whole transponder and demux later on demand -- one (fat) stream to write instead of 4 for the same net effect.

As for why you can only then pull out the "Big 4" initially, that's probably a matter of licensing (the big 4 agreed to it) and consistency (different regions will have a different mix of channels on the relevant transponder, but they'll all have at least their big 4. Much easier to market "records all 4" than saying "records 4 in some markets, 5 or 6 in others...")

This is a guess, but I don't think there is any licencing or agreement from the big 4 involved at all. The right to record for personal usage has been established already. This is why there is an ON/OFF switch on the PTAT. When the Hopper is initially installed the default for PTAT is OFF. The USER must turn it on. This makes it a personal recording. I think this is how DISH gets out of any need for licencing or agreements.

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
When you have two hoppers connected seamlessly, how many days of Primetime Anytime will be recorded?

If I understand correctly, one hopper can store 8 days worth of Primetime Anytime. Would you get 16 days with two? or could you set the other hopper to record some other set of channels on the same transponder?

(i'm guessing it's 8 days, but there seems to be a lot of unused potential for that second hopper)

If/when two hoppers are connected seamlessly, I would be more interested in seeing the full internal drive on the second Hopper be available for our use. Would Dish really need to reserve half of both Hoppers?? Seems like it would just be duplication....

hojni

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 30, 2003
I really like the whole Hopper/Joey strategy, but don't know if I can make it work. I've got 8 televisions and 4 users, so I would need 2 hoppers and 6 Joeys. Is this going to be a supported configuration? Or, as we've seen in the installation guides, is the number of Joeys limited to 4 in a 2 Hopper setup?

dwarren2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
Rochester, NY Region
If/when two hoppers are connected seamlessly, I would be more interested in seeing the full internal drive on the second Hopper be available for our use. Would Dish really need to reserve half of both Hoppers?? Seems like it would just be duplication....

And if you had an ehd attached to each receiver, havethem integrate seamlessly.

FitzAusTex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 3, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm currently using one leased 622 with a 1000+ antenna, but I also have an owned deactivated 622 as a backup unit sitting in storage, should my leased 622 fail. If I move over to the Hopper system (with no Joeys), and my Hopper failed/needed replacement, would I be able to activate my owned 622 while I waited for Dish to send me a replacement Hopper?

I realize Dish isn't going to allow VIPs with the H/J system, but what would happen if we have H/J nodes/wiring but want to revert to a VIP (without any active H/J)?

I take great comfort in knowing I currently don't have to wait days to receive a replacement VIP, should my active 622 fail.

lern4483

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 6, 2004
Pompano beach, Fl
Final question
Pricing. I currently have a 922, two 722k and one 612.
I don't need extra tuners.

A hopper and three Joeys is all i need. My bill should go down right?

JM42

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2010
GA
Yes:

Current:
922 - "included"
722K - $17
722K - $17
612 - $10
DVR - $10
Total: $54.00

Hopper:
Hopper - "included"
Joey - $7
Joey - $7
Joey - $7
DVR - $10
Total: $31.00

With those savings I'd probably go ahead and get the second Hopper to replace a Joey.

Last edited:

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2006
I thought the 612 was $10, which is where my $54 number came from.
I pay $10 for my 612 but I think it is called solo HD DVR on the bill. I do own the 612, if that matters. And that's all except the AT250 free for $10 and DVR service for $6 (and the 69.99 for AT250 itself).

Last edited:

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
Advantage, more tuners. Disadvantage, they won't be integrated yet and would act as two separate systems/receivers just like the ViPs do now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)