Questions about The Hopper?

Mkv is undoubtedly 1 of the best video formats available in regards to size & quality.

Unless I find out otherwise before March 15, I intend to only power up one Hopper at a time. Once that Hopper is authorized, I will power up the two Joeys I intend to associate with it. Next I will remove power from that Hopper and two associated Joeys. Then I will repeat by powering up and authorizing Hopper #2--then adding its two associated Joeys. Once done, I will power back up the first Hopper and its two Joeys. Hopefully this will work for my six HDTV H/J architecture..........

Unless I find out otherwise before March 15, I intend to only power up one Hopper at a time. Once that Hopper is authorized, I will power up the two Joeys I intend to associate with it. Next I will remove power from that Hopper and two associated Joeys. Then I will repeat by powering up and authorizing Hopper #2--then adding its two associated Joeys. Once done, I will power back up the first Hopper and its two Joeys. Hopefully this will work for my six HDTV H/J architecture..........

I'd like to do this also... Keeping the VIP's on the picture until the whole swap is complete.

You'll only have one line available from the dish, unless you have a switch. I suspect the ViPs will have to be deactivated before they'll allow the H/J to be activated.

Scott, you and the rest that have been supportive of this new platform have been a tremendous resource in
determining wether I upgrade or not. So here are my answers to the questions:

1. YES, I will upgrade to the Hopper/Joey equipment from my 722K, 622, 211 combo (NOTE: not itegrated :D)
2. YES I will get a 2 Hopper/4 Joey setup as soon as Dish allows, hopefully right away. 6 HD TVs are my goal.
3. YES I will pay the increased fees and upgrade cost because as I am a computer technologist,
every time a new platform/upgrade comes out it costs more due to input costs. Satellites cost $$$$$$$$$
4. NO I will not get any OTA equipment even if it were available from the beginning. I tried HD OTA
before I got DISH and it stunk, even with a amplified antenna. But now Dish has so much programming
I can't watch all of what I like now. Dish, Outdoor Channel is HD would be greatly appreciated.
5. YES I will greatly anticipate full integration between Hoppers and I do believe it will sell a lot more
than having an OTA option.
6. YES, you can do OTA DVR without Dish equipment. A solution is possible even if Dish no longer
supports OTA in this new platform.
7. YES I will be staying with Dish even though Direct has NFL ticket, wish it weren't so.

I wish all the very best and that all end up very happy with this infrastructure.

Sorry I don't know all the tech terms, but currently I have my dish, with cables running to some type of box (reminiscent of the Hopper nodes), which sends 2 coax cables through my wall. Those two run to my 722. Looking at the wiring diagram for the H/J, it looks like I keep the dish, the single or duo- node replaces whatever that other thing outside is, and of the two existing cables that enter my wall, one would go to a Hopper, and the other would go to a Joey. And if I already have RG6 going to second TV, then the installer really will only be swapping the 722 with the Hopper, and adding the Joey at the end of the RG6 line. Is that correct?

I don't mind the extra fees on more than a matter of principle, as I am grossly overpaid for what I do! I want the PTAT and the new GUI. Also, if I get the Joey now, could I later upgrade it to a second Hopper when they get the integration enabled? Or would it be better to go ahead and get two Hoppers right away, since the fees are the same? Can we even have a two Hopper zero Joey system?

Sorry I don't know all the tech terms, but currently I have my dish, with cables running to some type of box (reminiscent of the Hopper nodes), which sends 2 coax cables through my wall. Those two run to my 722. Looking at the wiring diagram for the H/J, it looks like I keep the dish, the single or duo- node replaces whatever that other thing outside is, and of the two existing cables that enter my wall, one would go to a Hopper, and the other would go to a Joey. And if I already have RG6 going to second TV, then the installer really will only be swapping the 722 with the Hopper, and adding the Joey at the end of the RG6 line. Is that correct?

I don't mind the extra fees on more than a matter of principle, as I am grossly overpaid for what I do! I want the PTAT and the new GUI. Also, if I get the Joey now, could I later upgrade it to a second Hopper when they get the integration enabled? Or would it be better to go ahead and get two Hoppers right away, since the fees are the same? Can we even have a two Hopper zero Joey system?

I think it would be better to get two Hoppers right away. Yes you can have a 2 Hopper 0 Joey system. Yes the installer would install the Hopper where the 722 is now and install the Joey using the cable that goes to the second TV.

I was comparing my current config with the drawings and I currently have a Dish Plus dish with no switches like a DPP44. The three outputs go to three different receivers. Two lines used existing coax to an On distribution panel, the third line had to come through a ground floor wall, which I had hoped to avoid. Getting two Hoppers, it appears that four lines have to come into the house (Page 12 drawing)?

In any event it will be interesting to see how the installer tackles this one. I'm thinking of having the dish moved closer to the On distribution panel to make more use of the in house coax.

Thanks isaacm. So the duo-node will replace the thingy that's currently outside? No more holes in the house! Yay!

I was comparing my current config with the drawings and I currently have a Dish Plus dish with no switches like a DPP44. The three outputs go to three different receivers. Two lines used existing coax to an On distribution panel, the third line had to come through a ground floor wall, which I had hoped to avoid. Getting two Hoppers, it appears that four lines have to come into the house (Page 12 drawing)?

In any event it will be interesting to see how the installer tackles this one. I'm thinking of having the dish moved closer to the On distribution panel to make more use of the in house coax.

Nope, you need just 3 lines going into the Duo Node. They will just split the two client outputs on the Node for your 4 Joeys.

Not sure what it's called. Some sort of distribution block for coax? Looks a bit like a big splitter with heat sink fins... I think three lines run from the dish to it, but two run from it to inside the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts