Questions about The Hopper?

Second, my wife was on the TV with a Hopper watching a show live on HGTV at the same time it was being recorded. At the same time, a game was being recorded on Fox Soccer Channel. PTAT is disabled on this Hopper. When I tried to watch something on the Joey TV paired to that Hopper, it indicated the tuners were all being used. It showed one HGTV show "Recording", the same HGTV show "Watching", and a soccer game as "Watching & Recording". The time remaining on the HGTV listings was the same, and changed at the same time, so I'm sure she was watching it live as it was being recorded. Is the Hopper really using 2 tuners for the 2 HGTV events, or is something just set up wrong?
This could be due to PIP on the hopper using two tuners. I consider it a bug that two tuners are used when PIP is not active. To test this theory, use swap to get the second tuner to the main Hopper output then play back program off the DVR. Then swap back to the original show. Viewing status should at this point show an available tuner. See if the Joey can then watch a third program.

You may also may be able to select the "Watching" show in Viewing Status on the Joey then change channels.

This could be due to PIP on the hopper using two tuners. I consider it a bug that two tuners are used when PIP is not active. To test this theory, use swap to get the second tuner to the main Hopper output then play back program off the DVR. Then swap back to the original show. Viewing status should at this point show an available tuner. See if the Joey can then watch a third program.

You may also may be able to select the "Watching" show in Viewing Status on the Joey then change channels.

I was able to do the steps you described on the Hopper TV and watch a third show on the Joey TV. Similarly, I tried to recreate the scenario from last night by recording two shows in process on the Hopper TV, and I could watch a third show on the Joey TV. I'm not sure what the difference was today vs last night.

joe.

I was able to do the steps you described on the Hopper TV and watch a third show on the Joey TV. Similarly, I tried to recreate the scenario from last night by recording two shows in process on the Hopper TV, and I could watch a third show on the Joey TV. I'm not sure what the difference was today vs last night.

joe.
I've seen two tuners reported as "available" so there appear to be scenarios that release the tuner PIP uses. For example, after three recordings finish a tuner is not assigned to PIP. I don't have a Joey so there may be others.

Dish really needs to give other activities higher priority than PIP or at least present an alert that allows taking over a tuner that's "in use" for PIP especially if PIP is currently not being used. I know if Sling is active, an alert appears if you try to activate PIP. (Sling uses one of Hopper's decoders so PIP and Sling are mutually exclusive.) So it seems realistic to do the same thing with tuners.

As long as PIP is not in use, the PIP tuner is available to Joeys. Joey will take the PIP tuner even though it shows watching on the status screen.

We have a very simple setup. One hopper and one Joey. On the hopper fast forward and rewind are very accurate, but on the Joey it looks like its tracking the fast forward correctly, but then when you hit play sometimes it will skip as much as eight minutes ahead from the last frame you saw.

Anybody else have this issue?

My joey software says S259 ZADH

How are timer conflicts presented on the Hopper? I miss my 721 receiver. It used to show 3 bars that graphically represented each tuner and easily showed what your new timer conflicted with (on both tuners). My 722k, when you tell it to restore a program that was skipped by priority, only asks if you want to skip the program on one tuner. Why doesn't it tell you what is scheduled on the other tuner so you can choose to skip that instead? I hope the Hopper and Joey system handles this more like the old 721.

Another thing that the 721 did that was kind of useful, was that if you recorded, say, an 8 hour block on one channel, when you selected that event and it displayed a list of all the programs that were in that DVR event. From there, you could select which program you wanted to watch, instead of having to fast forward through hours of programming to get where you wanted.

I don't know why DISH abandoned both of these features. I do know that the 721 had a completely different underlying code base. Does anyone know how each of these things are handled on the Hopper?

Thanks.

How are timer conflicts presented on the Hopper? I miss my 721 receiver. It used to show 3 bars that graphically represented each tuner and easily showed what your new timer conflicted with (on both tuners). My 722k, when you tell it to restore a program that was skipped by priority, only asks if you want to skip the program on one tuner. Why doesn't it tell you what is scheduled on the other tuner so you can choose to skip that instead? I hope the Hopper and Joey system handles this more like the old 721.
I'm guessing you have your 722k in single mode? Because in dual mode on mine, I get the entire list of conflicts when I go to restore an event.

I'm guessing you have your 722k in single mode? Because in dual mode on mine, I get the entire list of conflicts when I go to restore an event.
Yes, I do have it in single mode. I love the PIP feature. I do have a sling adapter attached, as well. I have used it occasionally in dual mode. I will have to test this.

When I added a timer that causes a conflict, a screen that looks like the EPG with the channels in conflict is displayed. You can edit the timers or skip them. You have to click the save button to really know if you have eliminated the conflicts. A indicator would be useful when you have eliminated the conflict without the Save and close.

I seem to have a new problem which has happened twice now, once last week and once today.

1H1J system, when I go to watch TV on the Hopper it will have either the screensaver or a blank screen, with audio playing in the background. If I press menu I can get all the menus and settings, but no video. So far this has happened after the Hopper was powered off (from the remote) the night before. Last time it required a rest to get video again.

Rest of the time this has not happened, anyone seen a similar issue or timing? Wondering if it could be related to diagnostics or an update happening overnight?

When I added a timer that causes a conflict, a screen that looks like the EPG with the channels in conflict is displayed. You can edit the timers or skip them. You have to click the save button to really know if you have eliminated the conflicts. A indicator would be useful when you have eliminated the conflict without the Save and close.

Thanks for the information. That sounds like a big improvement.

Two issues I am hoping one of you can solve:

1) I heard that you can program a second remote (such as my old 722k UHF remote) with a Joey but I have not been able to get it to work. I use one of my Joeys with an RF Modulator to split the signal with two TV's and one TV uses the remote that came with the Joey and I would like to to use my old 722k remote with the other TV. Can someone tell me the steps to program the second remote?

2) Most of the time, my Hopper is showing that my living room TV that is connected directly to is using two tuners just like if I were using PIP. Even when click "Swap" on the PIP setting, it does change to the other channel. However, when I click to cancel PIP, it does not release the other tuner. This is a real problem when PTAT is running because then the other TV's hooked to Joeys do not have an available tuner. Any idea on how to stop this?

Thanks,

^^^
1) 722k remote won't work with H/J in UHF mode, only IR mode. For UHF, you'll need a model 32.0 or 40.0. I think 40's are around $20 from Dish. I picked up a couple of 32's for around $10 each from eBay. All work fine.

Folks, I am interested in how "hot" the Hopper typically runs. My 722 is a bit of a "burner-plate" requiring its own fan controlled environment. I would like to redesign my screening room set up and would like to plan in advance for the unique needs of the Hopper--if there are any.
Also, has anyone heard a definitive date for the release of the OTA module beyond the vague "this summer" announcement from Dish a few weeks ago?

From my own experience and a few other posts I've seen, average temp is around 115 F.

And I have to say spoiler1041's last post was very informative. It appears to be 5 in morse code, which answer's several questions, like how much is a sub at subway, and how many fingers does it take to hold a hopper remote.

Last edited:
I'd say it runs about the same as my 722 did. I kept the same exhaust fan running that I had with my 722. I wouldn't recommend putting it in a cabinet without an exhaust fan. My average temp is 113º.

Todd

After reading a lot on this forum I am a bit concerned with all the problems and issues I see with the Hopper system. I totally understand the system is still new, but that really shouldn't be a valid reason for a lot of what seems to be basic issues. And yes, I get the fact that engineering cannot possible test all "end user" type scenarios including button pushing sequences, etc... But my question is are the issues here mostly isolated issues to a few (i.e., maybe faulty equipment?) or are the things discussed in the forums more typical of what the experts in this forum are seeing/hearing elsewhere?

I know I can't judge the entire Hopper system just by this forum since not everyone with problems (or successes) will go online and post feedback. Just trying to gauge whether it's worth getting the system now or waiting longer...and when. And yes, I like many in this group love new technology (and Dish) and want it now so please don't reply with "just wait then"! Because you didn't have the patience either and hopped on the Hopper system quickly! :p <sarcasm, not jabs!>

This system will really help me out of a jam with the family recording and watching habits so that's the main reason I really want to upgrade, and quick.

Thanks!

Compared to the previous vip922 ( Hopper is the next generation) the Hopper and Joey system is a walk in the park. Sling works well for me, EHD works with minor annoyances (icons not showing up and occasional error message) but I have experienced no losses.
If you have two Hoppers you cannot presently link them together, "coming soon" according to Dish.
My install took a little over two hours, no problems.
I generally like the system, that said I liked the vip922 also (many did not) ...with it's worts and all.
I've had no major issues, we use and like the PTAT feature. I have a 2 Hopper 1 Joey system. :coffee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts