Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

I not sure the competition is passing or its the technology. I think streaming video is the wave of the future and the utlility of DVRs has been diminished. I still use my EHD enabled 211s to record programming but much less than six months ago. I instead use my Roku to access programming from numerous sources including Netflix and Amazon. With these two sources alone I have thousands of movies or TV shows available and Netflix interface makes it much easier to find something to watch than scrolling through a list of hundreds of movies and shows on my DVR. In addition I have dozens of news channels. Dish has realized streaming is vital component to their offerings. They are working on integrating Blockbuster into their offering and with "Hopper" they will have off air programming available just like many cable companies offer now.

DVRs will still be useful to pause live TV and if you know you will miss a favorite show that you can set a timer if you want to watch it the same day as its original airing. Otherwise you can wait till the next day and find the show from another streaming source. I think many people just want to watch TV and not be bothered setting up multiple timers.

I was initially interested in the 813 but I now would not pay one cent more than the $7.00 I pay for my second 211 and if fact may get rid of it and instead either use my SlingBox or the video out on my 211 to feed my two secondary TVs. I also may add additional Rokus.

I'm gonna disagree on the streaming b/c unless Dish is also your ISP, I think the ISPs are going to start jacking up the prices/limiting your data.... so you'd be paying "twice" when you stream... once to Dish so you can get the program at all, and twice to the ISP once you cross your nGB/month download limit.

The only saving grace for Dish right now is the absolutely crazy fees some of the other providers charge for the whole-house DVR feature...

So yes, while I think the streaming tech will be there, there are market forces directly opposed to streaming being a success... I really don't know how it will play out.

ie. Cell phone "talk" minutes eventually went commodity pricing... I thought we'd see mobile data prices also start to drop by now.. but if anything they are going up (ie. same cost, lower max-data/month)...

The failure of the 922 really hurt them. I remember a lot of excitement for that receiver on these forums, and they really laid an egg with it.

But the folks on these forums and the few that watch Charlie Chat are the only ones that even knew about the 922.

What has really set them back is the delay in getting a true multi room viewing solution.

The whole 922 concept was flawed. I would argue the 922 would never have been a big success even if it had delivered 100% on all promises out of the gate. Sling was/is never more than niche product and is just flat out the wrong answer for in-home TV2. Even if the extender been released and worked well 2 years ago, the inherent delays and quality issues would have frustrated users. I don't think most would have accepted the math of $200 extra for the receiver + $100-$200 for the extender + the extra $4/month. Many of those that did would not have liked the results.

Hopefully the work in the 922 will not have gone to waste. Hopefully it really has given them a head start on a stable XIP product. Only time will tell. We'll get a hint on the ninth, and hopefully see it in the real world before summer.

I'll be checking Pre-Hopper Teaser - DISH Network Monday to see what it reveals. Hopefully Scott is right and we will like what we hear.

I thought we'd see mobile data prices also start to drop by now.. but if anything they are going up (ie. same cost, lower max-data/month)...

Due respect the infrastructure costs are upfront and the aggregate rollouts probably measure upwards of a billion dollars. Gotta pay for it over time somehow.

If the DIRECTV solutions were what they were described to be, this might be a valid argument. As it is, a DVR that can serve two TVs is something that dish has been doing for many years.

With respect to DIRECTV's product that works like the XiP line (HR34), DIRECTV (nor anyone else) doesn't offer clients for it so that's not really existing is it?

I signed up as a brand new customer from cable to Direct last week specifically because Dish didn't have a product yet. I would have preferred Dish if they had a product. My new HR34 is installed and uses any existing HD tuner box as a "client" so a new "RVU" tv is not required.

I am able to record to the whole home DVR from any set top box and also view any other recording remotely. I have had some nights where I have been recording 3 programs at a time and still additionally streaming previous recordings to 2 other TV's all in HD. These are sending Ethernet over coax and it is built in to each receiver. There is only one coax from the satellite dish and to each device to support the 8 total tuners I have (5 in the HR34 DVR) + 3 set top boxes.

Dish could have a major advantage over the Direct HR34 if it would be able to manage the recording timers remotely after they were already entered as long as they put out a box that equals the tuner count. I am able to remotely cancel in progress and delete previously recorded shows but I can't manage previously entered future series timers.

I hope the new XiP comes close, I sure wish it would have been out sooner.

Charlie is more interested in Echostar and new companies he is trying to start up now. He turned over the day to day business of running DISH to Joe Clayton now. The Dirt team is here to answer any tech questions, so why bother with an hour long infomercial for DISH anyway?

Charlie is more interested in Echostar and new companies he is trying to start up now. He turned over the day to day business of running DISH to Joe Clayton now. The Dirt team is here to answer any tech questions, so why bother with an hour long infomercial for DISH anyway?

It was good for a laugh. But seriously, at least the tech chats were informative once in a while.

Has Dish abandonded the Charlie and Tech chats? Haven't seen one in ages.

Yes. I miss them. We had "Chat Chats" on SatGuys, and I miss them moreso. Maybe we ought to come up with some excuse to have another one.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I don't feel like going through 63 pages in this thread or the other multiple multiple threads.

Will Hopper/Joey be compatible with the ViP 612/622/722/722K/922 EHD content? How about the 411/211/211K?

Yes, it will be compatible with the current ehd from the 722, but not the 211. Better place to ask is in the stickey thread about Hopper/Joey Spec Sheet thread.