Rain*X on your dish and LNB ?

I for one experience rainfade before a drop ever hits the dish, so if this product fixes that it would be a miracle. Does it make the dish grow bigger ? ;)
It looks like it works great for snow though.

dslate69 said:
I for one experience rainfade before a drop ever hits the dish, so if this product fixes that it would be a miracle. Does it make the dish grow bigger ? ;)
It looks like it works great for snow though.

WOW! That's cloud fade not rain fade, maybe your dish and/or LNBF need realigned, NEVER seen that phenomenon ever.

I also spray RAIN SHIELD on the LNBF cover to keep droplets of water from gathering there :eureka

It is good for snow (But alas there seems to be about 300 different types of snow) I know that the State lottery use it on their satellite dish for snow!

Last edited:
but cloud fade screws with my dish more than rain fade. I lose signal with heavy cloud fade (except the C-Band dish). It can rain out and I still have signal once the clouds break up :)

Usually KU goes first (FTA system), then DBS, then StarChoice. C-Band keeps trucking along :)

As I say I have NEVER lost signal because of clouds..........NEVER! Not with DBS or Ku. Of course it can't help with cloud fade at all, it simply repells water and keeps your dish and LNBF BONE dry. (Remember that rain/snow can add weight to your dish and pull it out of whack) That's one part of the equation delt with, really guys you have to try it to believe it!

Shame on you Iceberg you have a can of it there and you WILL not put it on your dish, got wonder why :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
He wont use it on his dish because he sprayed it on his head. (Now when it rains out his bald head never gets messed up. :D

Indeed :) I don't know if they make cans that big!

RUN!

smartasses

Right now I haven't done it because its been too damn hot for me to climb on my roof and spray it on there. I wanted to wait until I got everything all set up properly :)

It will get done one of these days...whenever it cools down and my knees stop acting up so I can get on a ladder :)

but all I'm saying is cloud fade is more of a killer than "rain fade". Never lost signal in the snow (OK once and that was due to a shorted out cable) but heavy dark cloud cover kills the signal more than rain.

Scott started it! :)

Your right its WAY too hot to do anything that does not HAVE to be done!
As stated above there is snow and there is snow! During heavy snow storms I get a lot of calls and e-mails about outages.

Can't wait until you try it!

Down side is you never know when its working :) During that really HEAVY thunderstorm a few weeks ago (You know the one where you mentioned you had lost all signal) I still had a 70+% signal quality!

Once again, this is only for RAIN FADE! And you WILL see when you get around to appying it that most outages (caused by Rain Fade) will become a dim and distant bad memory (Hopefully like my above bad joke) like it is for me :) Thank goodness Rain fade is not much of an issue with C-Band! (I did however coat my C-Band LNBF cover with rain Shield)

digiblur said:
You must not have something right..... I have a 18 inch pointed at 119 for NASA and audio feeds. When it drops out or I know rain is coming I swing the 90cm over and never had a problem. The Invacom QPH-031 just keeps on trucking.

You clearly have never been in a Florida afternoon thunderstorm. But regardless, even the dew point at night will cause havoc here with 148W or 82W. That's just a fact and theres plenty of documentation to back it up.

PSB said:
Sadoun is a GREAT GOLD sponsor here at SatelliteGuys.US they do not sell snake oil, I would retract that comment if I were you.

I hope you are not inferring that comments on satelliteguys are censored if someone becomes a gold sponsor? They sell stuff. If it makes people feel good to buy something, great. Besides, anything that gets water off the dish should bring a signal back faster, but that will not eliminate the effect in a wash out.

But while I am at it, I will add that I the Dish Legacy lnb on my 1.2M outperforms the Invacom QPH-031 by 30% by the time the signal hits the Dish IRD.

In fact my Toroidal .90M and 0.6 lnb outperforms the Invacom on a bigger 1.2M dish by 20% when the signal gets to the IRD.

Your point?

If you insist its something I am doing wrong, I'll put as much money on the table as you want to offer up you cannot show up here and get it to perform otherwise.

Last edited:
I have D* and both a 18 inch dish and the 36 inch Ka-KU (AT-9) and have NEVER lost siginal due to clouds of any type. Nothing sprayed on my dish. I have only lost siginal once in a year and that was this week when it was rainning buckets outside and it only lasted the 5 min it was rainning. Siginal was fine as the storm approched and durring the first 20 min untill the sky opened up. I dont see how the rain here is different than anywhere else, but I could be wrong.

When people talk of Rainfade, I think we all take for granted they are not limititing droplets on there dish as the only factor. When some one loses signal because of a storm it is called "rainfade" by 99.9% time and "atmospheric changes" by the .1% selling rainshield.

I have never lost signal to droplets on my dish, never. I lose it from storms moving in or passing by to my SW. I guess weather patterns determine if someone may never lose signal do to storms not comming or leaving to the SW.

If I spray my dish with the garden hose without rainshield, will I lose signal?
No.

Try it! Your signal will drop! (flood dish and LNB)

Like Scott and Sadoun I have seen side by side tests :)

This product was designed for the Radome industry and they have HUNDREDS of customers that use it and KNOW it works!

You can lead a blind horse to water, but you can't make it drink :)

I lose it from storms moving in or passing by to my SW. I guess weather patterns determine if someone may never lose signal do to storms not comming or leaving to the SW
and that's when I lose signal most of the time. I lose it due to the heavy dark clouds.

My favorite is when my grandma calls me hollerin because the dish is out and its not raining. Always a treat explaining it to her (or better yet...why is it not raining at her house 2 miles away from me yet its just pouring here) :)

PSB said:
Try it! Your signal will drop! (flood dish and LNB)

Like Scott and Sadoun I have seen side by side tests :)

This product was designed for the Radome industry and they have HUNDREDS of customers that use it and KNOW it works!

You can lead a blind horse to water, but you can't make it drink :)

As I said, I don't have any problem with rain on my dish, I have a problem with rain in the clouds.
It would be a waste of my money to buy rainshield since rain on or around my dish is not a problem. I don't lose my signal during the rain, water on my dish has no effect on my signal. As others have said, I can tell when a gully-washer is a comming though.

Do you sell cloudshield ? I'll take a case. :)

The ad for Rain Shield, as I pointed out earlier, is filled full of snake-oil claims and statements. Generally when a product is advertised with dubious claims, it is usually not what it claims to be. Especially when it also appears to be overpriced, which at $26 per aerosol can, this one certainly is. So don't blame anyone here for doubting the product, as it has all of the classic signs of snake oil.

It is also funny when a person advocating the product makes a statement that their 36" dish with Rain Shield treatment doesn't have as many rain fades as their neighbors, with their untreated 18"-20" dishes.

Seriously, how much less rain would be on my Dish if I used Rain Shield vs if I used a good quality car wax? Or Rain-X on the dish and Armorall on the LNB. The difference in terms of picking up a signal or not would have to be extremely small. For one thing, there is no evidence that any of these actually make a difference, so the differences between the different treatments is likely to be far smaller yet.

Another one of these super repellent products is WX2100, which sells for $30 for an 11 ounce can. It claims that it not only works, but it works for 10 years!

One usually doesn't get hit as much by "cloud fade" in the deep south because the dishes are pointed up at a higher angle, so they would not be shooting through as thick a portion of dense clouds as those in northern locations.

A 36" dish in the deep south should have far fewer cloud fades than a D500 or D1000 in a northern location.

Heck, I'm tossing around the idea of making my wonderous 'Dish Fairy Dust' available for public consumption, no need to (re)align your dish, just sprinkle some 'Dish Fairy Dust' on the LNB and dish, and the satellites will line themselves up to your dish FOR you! ;)

You have never tried it or seen it unlike Sadoun, Scott the owner of this forum and myself.

This is just your "educated opinion"

I rest my case:hatsoff:

The ad for Rain Shield, as I pointed out earlier, is filled full of snake-oil claims and statements.
That's what I thought, I thought this was the biggest scam going... until I saw it for myself and tried it for myself.

I realy does work. (I was SHOCKED!)

While it won't protect you from Rain in the Atmosphere it does work for rain or snow hitting the dish.

I would love to video tape their demo and put it up for all to see. Again I did not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

PSB said:
You have never tried it or seen it unlike Sadoun, Scott the owner of this forum and myself.

This is just your "educated opinion"

I rest my case:hatsoff:

I don't have to try Magnet Bracelets either to know they don't/can't work, based simply on the fact that it defies physics and science.

I assume the makers of these products all know more than NASA does, which you refer to as 'my opinion', I mean what does NASA know.

Caveat Emptor.