Roger Goodell Think HDTV Is Killing NFL Ticket Sales

No High Ticket Prices, Parking Prices, Food Prices and Beer Prices are killing ticket sales.

A normal family can no longer afford to take their family to the game.

Heh, so overblown, he never said it's killing anything. Competing with the living room experience has been a point of emphasis the last couple of years. It's why wifi is going to be a standard thing at games, they show the ref's video on the in-stadium screens during challenges and some teams have rolled out devices that provide access to things like their fantasy teams and sunday ticket in the stadium.

It's not 'HDTV' that's killing anything, it's how rich the experience has gotten at home... the ability to flip around to the different games, monitor your fantasy football team, etc.

None of Scott's points are invalid, but this article is taking an extreme headline as if it were a direct quote, and building on it from there.

Cost is the #1 reason. No matter how much the home experience has developed, people would still go to the game if the overall cost was not horrific. Add a bad economy and whamo - people stay home. A very good football community - Tampa can not sell out the stadium to avoid TV blackouts. The team is not horrific - in fact doing quite well. People just can not afford it. I don't think the game being in SD would really influence that many in some communities to pay that kind of money right now. Especially in Football, there are so limited amount of home games in a season there should be enough people to only go once or twice a year to fill the stadium, can't even afford to go that few amount of times.

Roger Goodell please go away....TV is the NFL's number 1 cash cow.Just like Scott said if you want more folks in stadiums lower the prices.

HD does not seem to be affecting MLB

MLB's 2,423 dates this regular season drew an average of 30,895 fans per game, up from 30,362 per game in 2011. The 2012 attendance total ranks behind only the 2007 (first), 2008 (second), 2006 (third) and 2005 (fourth) seasons. Overall, the last nine years are now the nine best-attended seasons in the history of MLB, including the four successive record-breaking seasons from 2004-07.

MLB had the 5th largest ticket sales last year. The overall trend has been an increase in the number of those attending the games even though more games can now be seen on TV.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121004&content_id=39485178&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I went to 1 Red Sox game last year, the tickets were $12 a piece. If I could go to a Patriots game for 12 bucks, I'd go to everyone of them.

2 years ago I went to a Rays/Sox game in Tampa, I paid $5 to sit in the outfield.

I went to the Bills/Pats game at Gillette last week, here is a breakdown of my costs.

2 Tickets $340
Parking $40
Tailgating $20
2 Drinks in side the stadium $16

That's $416 for 2 of us, sometimes we go with 4 :eek:

That doesn't include hotel and gas.

HDTV doesn't have anything to do with it.

MONEY DOES!:doh:

Hart5150 said:
I went to 1 Red Sox game last year, the tickets were $12 a piece. If I could go to a Patriots game for 12 bucks, I'd go to everyone of them.

2 years ago I went to a Rays/Sox game in Tampa, I paid $5 to sit in the outfield.

I went to the Bills/Pats game at Gillette last week, here is a breakdown of my costs.

2 Tickets $340
Parking $40
Tailgating $20
2 Drinks in side the stadium $16

That's $416 for 2 of us, sometimes we go with 4 :eek:

That doesn't include hotel and gas.

HDTV doesn't have anything to do with it.

MONEY DOES!:doh:

Throw in if you decide on flying to a city for a game...like you did to Tampa..and how much is that football game?

Last edited:
The sad thing is that the league will raise right fees to make up for lost stadium revenues until subs drop subscription TV because they no longer can afford it either and hope the broadcast networks still can afford to broadcast their local team.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The one and only time I've been to a Cowboys game was in 2010 and it's only because I had a free ticket. We were up in the 400 section and the field was so far away we had to watch the game on the big screen above the field. The face value of that ticket was $79. We parked at the convention center for $20 and walked a good 20 minutes to get to the stadium.

No way would I pay those outrageous prices to go see a bunch of grown adults playing a game.

Now high school football is a different story. $6-8 each week depending on a home or away game, no parking fee, and reasonable food and drink prices. The plus is we get to watch a bunch of high schoolers who aren't paid play a game they love.

The sad thing is that the league will raise right fees to make up for lost stadium revenues until subs drop subscription TV because they no longer can afford it either and hope the broadcast networks still can afford to broadcast their local team.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

They are getting more for TV rights because the networks are willing to pay for it and their broadcasts are among the highest rated for the year, if not in television history.

This is going over most of your heads, I am pretty sure there have still been fewer blackouts this year than last, people are still attending games. Much like a UFC fight, many more people are comfortable sitting in their own home where they have a better experience waiting for them.

Economies of scale are much different for Baseball, if there were 50 NFL games a year in your local stadium you can bet they wouldn't be $70+ a ticket.

Last edited:
When I was in media in Chicago, Bill Wirtz would NOT television Blackhawk games UNLESS it was picked up nationally......and THAT wouldn't happen to the playoffs. Ole "Dollar Bill" Wirtz even introduced "Hawkvision" pay-per-view for Blackhawk games...

What is happening with the season's tickets waiting lists? I remember that the Giants and Redskins used to have tens of thousands of people on their lists, and one year, only about half a dozen Giants tickets ownership changed hands.

Might sound out of the box but there might be a couple of other reasons why people are not going to NFL games. I think far and away its the money issue and people cant afford it. I also think on a very,very small scale that the London Effect has something to do with it. I do think that some fans are put off with the fact that Goodell has mentioned in the past that a Super Bowl could come to London, an NFL franchise could come to London and the fact that they already play a game and in the fact will play more games in London during the regular season. Maybe some fans, including yours truly feel that the NFL is AMERICA'S GAME and have no business in England. Thats just my opinion.

Might sound out of the box but there might be a couple of other reasons why people are not going to NFL games. I think far and away its the money issue and people cant afford it. I also think on a very,very small scale that the London Effect has something to do with it. I do think that some fans are put off with the fact that Goodell has mentioned in the past that a Super Bowl could come to London, an NFL franchise could come to London and the fact that they already play a game and in the fact will play more games in London during the regular season. Maybe some fans, including yours truly feel that the NFL is AMERICA'S GAME and have no business in England. Thats just my opinion.

Makes ya wonder if Goodell has homes or business in London ...

I also think that a SB in London is a very BAD idea.

Ricky Hatton vs. Vyacheslav Senchenko

Thoughts to Ponder-NFL Edition

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)