SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

Scott thanks for the review. It did move me closer to getting a mac mini. But I'm holding off now for the Boxee box review. I'm a little disappointed with the Google TV.

Do you think Sony's version is the same?

Thanks Scott for the review. I like it but I think my dsl speed is going to have to improve. My 6.0 just won't cut the mustard. I am downloading a movie from Dish right now that is HD. It said it will take over 3 hrs. Yikes!

Thanks Scott for the review. I like it but I think my dsl speed is going to have to improve. My 6.0 just won't cut the mustard. I am downloading a movie from Dish right now that is HD. It said it will take over 3 hrs. Yikes!

That is dish taking forever to download. Their servers are slower than dirt at serving stuff up. I could get HD streaming from Hulu and NBC and pretty much everyone with a 3Mbit DSL connection. It's the encoders and decoders that can make or break streaming video. Many sites use Flash, and my guess is that the video chip in the Revue supports hardware flash decoding.

Scott thanks for the review. It did move me closer to getting a mac mini. But I'm holding off now for the Boxee box review. I'm a little disappointed with the Google TV.

Do you think Sony's version is the same?
I have a Boxee Box on its way to me in November. I too am looking for one box to replace everything. At the moment I have Vudu, WDTV Live Plus, Roku HD, PlayOn, Internet enable Sony 3D Bluray Player, Internet enabled Panasonic 3DTV, streaming via PlayOn. Im my bedroom alone I have 6 different devices I can watch Netflix on.

As far as Sony's goes, the Bluray player for some reason takes the HDMI with 5.1 surround sound and downmixes it to stereo. While the Logitech Revue can passthrough the 5.1 surround (or if its 7.1 surround it downmixes it to 5.1) which I feel is MUCH better then Sony. From the pics I have seen the Sony software looks a lot like the Revue software... which I guess is the GoogleTV software in the big scope of things.

+1 I noticed that too when I played with one at Worst Buy. Needs a lot of work still.

Sounds like old webtv to me. I 'll pass for now, but thanks for the review Scott. You probably saved a lot of us from making the mistake of being beta testers for this box. I already made that mistake with the 922 and the 922 just this last week became more user friendly after 6 months of using it and external hard drive archiving at last!

Scott I went to best buy to try the google box again the picture looked really pixalated. Most of the folks left thinking that this is a piece of krap. The google rep looked dumb founded I do not think he knows how to work the box.

I have heard that this Thursday dish will take orders for the revue box for the 722, 722k and 622 owners only. The 922 is out of luck. I also heard it is a one year commitment to the $4.00 integration fees.

Scott did you get any word on when the 922 will integrate with the revue or if sales are bad dish will drop this?

As far as Sony's goes, the Bluray player for some reason takes the HDMI with 5.1 surround sound and downmixes it to stereo. While the Logitech Revue can passthrough the 5.1 surround (or if its 7.1 surround it downmixes it to 5.1) which I feel is MUCH better then Sony. From the pics I have seen the Sony software looks a lot like the Revue software... which I guess is the GoogleTV software in the big scope of things.
I checked on my Onkyo to see what it was getting from the Revue and it showed PCM-7.1-48hz

From Omar over at the Logitech Forums:
Revue can receive either PCM Stereo or AC3 5.1 from an HDMI input source. Assuming Revue is connected to an AVR and the AVR is configured correctly (this changes from brand to brand), Revue, can output following audio formats.

HDMI HDMI
(PCM/AC-3 5.1) Source Device ----> Revue ----> AVR - Either PCM Stereo and PCM 7.1/5.1 are output

HDMI SPDIF
(PCM/AC-3 5.1)Source Device ----> Revue ----> AVR - Either PCM Stereo and AC-3 5.1 are output
Revue always mixes incoming audio with internal audio sounds, even in cases where you are using a supported audio modes (see above), Revue will never pass the Audio as is (untouched) to the AVR.
Re: HDMI audio pass-through to an AVR for Processi... - Page 2 - Logitech Forums

Here's what I have seen on my Revue/Onkyo 608. When using the HDMI for audio the Onkyo told me it was receiving 7.1 PCM no matter the channel. I connected the optical cable and set the Optical Out on the Revue to Dolby. Now the Onkyo tells me it's getting DD 5.1 regardless of the channel. If I set the Optical Out to PCM then the Onkyo tells me PCM 7.1 regardless of the channel. So I leave the Revue set for Dolby. It actually improves the PCM sound from the Sirius music channels.

I doubt if the Revue would have any effect. I do have the volume equalizer on my 922 on. Don't watch commercials but the volume on SD and HD is a lot closer.

After trying it for almost a week and thinking long and hard I have boxed mine up and will send it back to Amazon. It does a lot that I'm not really interested in and very little that I am. Maybe next year after the Revue gains access to the App Market and they get some of the early bugs such as frame rate worked out I may get one from Dish if they ever get any in stock and still offer the $179 deal.

Scott,
Great review. I am waiting for my Logitech Revue from Dish. As of today 10/28 Dish says they have them in stock but are not shipping them yet. They still have to get there internal procedures running first. Should be soon?? I am planing to connect it to my Samsung TV, Denon 910 receiver and my Dish 922 box. My question is will I need a HDMI splitter to connect all these units. Have you tested your Revue with a AV receiver.

Thx

Scott,
Great review. I am waiting for my Logitech Revue from Dish. As of today 10/28 Dish says they have them in stock but are not shipping them yet. They still have to get there internal procedures running first. Should be soon?? I am planing to connect it to my Samsung TV, Denon 910 receiver and my Dish 922 box. My question is will I need a HDMI splitter to connect all these units. Have you tested your Revue with a AV receiver.

Thx
I have not tested mine with an AV Receiver, but I have been told by a few it works great.

You just take the HDMI from your DISH Receiver plugged into the HDMI In on the Revue, then take the HDMI out and plug it into your AV receiver, and finally the HDMI output from your AV receiver goes to your TV (it should already be plugged in there) :)

Scott,

Thx

So will you be forced to pay the $4 integration fee even though the 922 doesn't integrate with the Revue?

News: I called yesterday (28th) and the rep says they are not just in stock but sent it UPS Blue 2nd day (which will turn out to be about 4 days considering the weekend). So I should have mine mid next week.

My plan is to not connect it to the TV as the TV is fed only from my Denon AVR that switches the Blu-Ray, Apple TV, and 722K as it would seriously degrade the 1080p/24 signal from the Blu-Ray. So I plan to connect it 722K -> Google TV -> Denon AVR. I don't see the need to overlay GTV over my Blu-Ray or other components. That way it can take the crappy signal that the 722k puts out and do whatever it wants with it, can't degrade it worse than what it is now (compared to the Sony Blu-Ray player I have).

Is this the way that most people are hooking, or planning to hook, theirs up?

The "Coming Soon" button on the GoogleTV Dish page has changed to a "Order Now" button that takes you to their accessories store. However, the Revue isn't listed yet. Could someone with a supported receiver on their account check and see if it's listed on their order accessories page? I just want to know if it matters that I only have a 922 on my account and that's keeping it from being listed.

Last edited:
When I go to the store after clicking the order now button I see the Revue listed there but it is listed out of stock.

I do notice that there is no mention of them requiring a commitment of $4 a month for a year, so good luck to them enforcing that since its not mentioned on the website..but it does mention that the $4 a month charge will be automaticlly added to you bill.

Logitech Revue with Google TV

Get the entertainment industry's first true seamless integration of rich web content and TV in one product. The Logitech Revue© with Google TV© provides a simple and easy to use Google interface and Harmony© technology keyboard.
$4.00 Monthly DVR Integration Service is added at time of purchase.
Online purchase limited to one (1) item.
Receiver models: 622, 722, 722k
Includes a one (1) year warranty from the date of purchase.
Item includes a thirty (30) day return policy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)