So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

Based on Scott's previous info, each hopper can support one USB OTA tuner. If you need more than one OTA tuner, you can plug in the additional one on a second hopper.
Hi guys, I am new to posting to the forums and a bit late on this topic, but Dish if you are listening (which I see a rep is) -- PLEASE keep the option open in the future to support more than 1 USB OTA tuner. I have 4 OTA ATSC tuners in my PC and it handles it great. From what I can tell of the processing speed and abilities of the hopper, I'm willing to bet it can handle more than 1 OTA tuner. I realize there are limited USB ports, but for those of us who will use a powered USB hub, please work on supporting at least 2 OTA tuners and preferably 4. If you have to release your own brand of USB OTA tuner, design one that supports 2 tuners per stick and allow at least 2 sticks to be attached to the system. When I first read the specs on the hopper, I was pretty disappointed that it only had 3 tuners. 4 would be perfect IMO, especially if you dedicate one to the primetime anytime feature. My ideal system would have 4 Sat tuners and at least 2 OTA tuners. Most often I run into programming conflicts with those annoying shows that insist on starting and ending 5 minutes late. The scheduler is then technically "busy" so it won't start on an event that starts at the normal "top of the hour" time.

Also, on an unrelated note - perhaps someone has the answer. Does the hopper still have to reboot once every 24h like the 722 does? And does it still have a hard time downloading the guide sometimes if you keep the tuners busy? If so, why not allow the option for it to download the guide updates continuously over the internet?

I'm going to guess the Hopper only has USB 2.0 ports, even tho USB 3.0 has been around for 2 years now?

I actually have no use for the Joeys. I'm in a single user home and long ago took the trouble to run HDMI split out to 5 TV's around the house. I just record an insane amount of stuff. :)

While we are on suggestions how about a USB OTA Tuner *LIKE* device that only does AV in or just Analog Channel 3 or Channel 4.
Or can the new USB OTA scan Analog Channel 3 or 4?

The purpose would be to have it then show up on the Guide as AV Input or maybe something you can customer label like Front Door Cam or Security.
The idea would be to use it as a security camera input on the Guide Menu or have a hot button to it like one of the Colored buttons.

OTA channels are about 3x the size of a SAT HD channel. You would overload the moca network by adding a second OTA module along with DVR contents and other data that is being sent on the network and i'm sure the software was not designed to support this. The USB ports are 2.0 but there is an ESATA port which is for future use. The Hopper attempts to check for updates at 1am and again an hour later and if you are viewing during those times you will receive a message and can skip that if you prefer. If you don't skip it, then the Hopper will reboot. If you wanted 4 SAT tuners and 2 OTA, you could go with 2 Hoppers and 2 OTA modules which would give you a total of 6 SAT tuners and 2 OTA tuners. Tuner sharing isn't something that is incorporated right now but you can share your DVR recordings between the 2 Hoppers.

ScottChez A great topic that no one has addressed in ages. I missed how my old 500 had an AV input. I fed my old analog front door cam into it and used it to check the video with a simple channel change. I would love it if Dish could release an add-on module that accepted an HDMI input that it would turn into a selectable channel for viewing. I have an NVR system with HDMI output that I would love to feed into the Hopper to show up as a virtual channel.

I have a Q-See 16 camera NVR system with all 720p and 1080p cameras feeding it. It has an HDMI output 1080P. How great it would be to input that into the Hopper and be able to switch to it as a virtual channel so I could check on all the cameras without having to run the HDMI from the NVR to each of my 5 TV's. Come on dish, you've finally built an extensible platform, start thinking outside the box and add some of these advanced features. You'd gain major industry respect and be miles ahead of your competitors. Of course I can could tie the NVR into a NTSC channel modulator (completely losing the high def detail), and then assign it a channel that the DVR could tune into, but really.. That would just suck. Think about all the people who centrally locate a DVD/BluRay device in their wiring closet and would love to assign that device to a virtual channel on their Hopper. Build the Hopper as a central super media hub capable of carrying anything out to the TV's. If you can't do it with this model, then get to work on The Hopper model 1.5. I'd pay good money to have these advantages.

I never understood why the model 500 was the last to see a simple composite level video/audio input. That was really useful to many of us.. Now take a step further and do either an add-on box, or built in HDMI IN port that can redistribute the signal.

OTA channels are about 3x the size of a SAT HD channel. You would overload the moca network by adding a second OTA module along with DVR contents and other data that is being sent on the network and i'm sure the software was not designed to support this. The USB ports are 2.0 but there is an ESATA port which is for future use. The Hopper attempts to check for updates at 1am and again an hour later and if you are viewing during those times you will receive a message and can skip that if you prefer. If you don't skip it, then the Hopper will reboot. If you wanted 4 SAT tuners and 2 OTA, you could go with 2 Hoppers and 2 OTA modules which would give you a total of 6 SAT tuners and 2 OTA tuners. Tuner sharing isn't something that is incorporated right now but you can share your DVR recordings between the 2 Hoppers.

Unless stacking two Hoppers can blend their resources into a single device output, it isn't much use to me - especially if I have to redistribute a second run of HDMI throughout the house (and likely use a 2nd remote) -- forgive me if I don't yet understand just what stacking two hoppers does. But I assume it means I get to pay an extra $20/m to have it on my account. I'd rather spend another $100 and have a beefed up single box personally.

Unless stacking two Hoppers can blend their resources into a single device output, it isn't much use to me - especially if I have to redistribute a second run of HDMI throughout the house (and likely use a 2nd remote) -- forgive me if I don't yet understand just what stacking two hoppers does. But I assume it means I get to pay an extra $20/m to have it on my account. I'd rather spend another $100 and have a beefed up single box personally.

Direct TV Multi-room might be the way to go. Their latest HD DVR supports four clients. It appears to me they can all blend together.

The Hopper/Joey system works thru a central node.Coax from the node goes to each Joey/Hopper. For a 2 Hopper system they use a dual node. As far as cost, after the intial cost of a 2nd Hopper, there is no difference between a Joey or Hopper. Each is $7/mo.

I agree that the single OTA tuner per Hopper is likely a limitation of the current version of moca. Multiple live sat streams and DVR streams, plus OTA.

BTW, I have a couple of ViP722 units and I almost never have to reboot them.

I should be getting a two Hopper one Joey setup this week. From what read earlier it sounds like the Joey can control both Hoppers, but the Hoppers can't see each other. If that's the case, does it make more sense to install the Joey in the main room?

The Hoppers can see each other's stored programs on the internal drive, just not on the EHDs.

I had Directv. Three DVRs each with two OTA tuners for a total of six. All this worked fine over MOCA.

I agree that the single OTA tuner per Hopper is likely a limitation of the current version of moca. Multiple live sat streams and DVR streams, plus OTA.

BTW, I have a couple of ViP722 units and I almost never have to reboot them.

Yes. Seeing recordings from both hoppers is very simple. Switching to a different hopper is a couple more button clicks but once you know how its not bad.
Thanks for the info. Are there any drawbacks that you know of to having the Joey in the main room?

AKGolf said:
Thanks for the info. Are there any drawbacks that you know of to having the Joey in the main room?

No pip functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes. Seeing recordings from both hoppers is very simple. Switching to a different hopper is a couple more button clicks but once you know how its not bad.

In a two Hopper four Joey setup, if you have one Hopper watching a play back can the other Hopper and all four Joeys be watching the same thing?

Barry Erick said:
I think if I check this site every day, I might see the OTA has been released by 12/31/12, but more likely by 12/31/13

You're getting the hang of it now!

charlesrshell said:
In a two Hopper four Joey setup, if you have one Hopper watching a play back can the other Hopper and all four Joeys be watching the same thing?

Independently they can. They will not watch the same stream from the Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)