Statement from DISH - Not Getting the New HD?

Sorry Krell and Laddy was traveling, thank you for the reply. I was lazy on my post, three 722's.

The Dish team is coming out Saturday morning, I hope they are not afraid of heights, 23rd floor.

I am really confused, as I keep hearing that I need three lines from the West Dish to the centrally located switch, but believe you folks are right.

At the end of the day would just like to have the ability to see and record all HD somewhere on one of the three receivers, can live with locals on just a few, if all other issues are solved.

Often watch Fox, MSNBC and CNBC channels and freeze two to hear critical info on one, then catch up at commercials. The plasmas are side by side and at parties put the same on all three for art and impact.

The problem is confidence...I have none in the technicians that I have seen or spoken to so far, and I see more intelligence and insight on this Forum than from the supplier! What is wrong with this picture?

I am really confused, as I keep hearing that I need three lines from the West Dish to the centrally located switch, but believe you folks are right.
OK, let's see if I can un-confuse you. ;) Both dish antennas, the 1000.2 and the 1000.4, have a built-in switch and 3 outputs. This means each one can drive a maximum of 3 dual-tuner receivers such as your 722's without the need for auxiliary switches such as the one you have now. You can drive fewer receivers from each one, as the Dish TSRs proposed. Whether one or two (or three) receivers are connected to a 1000.2 or 1000.4, they will be able to switch the internal switch to any satellite location. The 1000.2 was built for 110/119/129, while the 1000.4 was built for 61.5/72/77 west logitude locations.

The trouble, as I mentioned on the previous page, is the location of your HD locals. If your DMA is not duplicated on both arcs, then the one missing the HD locals will not be able to supply it's receiver with those channels. If that is not a biggie, then the Dish plan will work. IF, on the other hand, your HD locals are only one one arc and you want them to appear on all receivers, then that central switch will still be necessary. The DPP44 switch will, when connected to a 1000.2 or 1000.4, turn off the built-in switches on the dish and just take in the signals from one orbital location on each coax. So, for example, you could hook up 61.5, 72.7, 110, and 119 if your locals are only on 61.5.

Which DMA are you in?

Last edited:
OK, let's see if I can un-confuse you. ;) Both dish antennas, the 1000.2 and the 1000.4, have a built-in switch and 3 outputs. This means each one can drive a maximum of 3 dual-tuner receivers such as your 722's without the need for auxiliary switches such as the one you have now. You can drive fewer receivers from each one, as the Dish TSRs proposed. Whether one or two (or three) receivers are connected to a 1000.2 or 1000.4, they will be able to switch the internal switch to any satellite location. The 1000.2 was built for 110/119/129, while the 1000.4 was built for 61.5/72/77 west logitude locations.

The trouble, as I mentioned on the previous page, is the location of your HD locals. If your DMA is not duplicated on both arcs, then the one missing the HD locals will not be able to supply it's receiver with those channels. If that is not a biggie, then the Dish plan will work. IF, on the other hand, your HD locals are only one one arc and you want them to appear on all receivers, then that central switch will still be necessary. The DPP44 switch will, when connected to a 1000.2 or 1000.4, turn off the built-in switches on the dish and just take in the signals from one orbital location on each coax. So, for example, you could hook up 61.5, 72.7, 110, and 119 if your locals are only on 61.5.

Which DMA are you in?

Both the 1000.2 and 1000.4 have an LNB IN port for a 4th satellite position. No external switch is needed for that, especially if they are putting an external switch outside by one of the antennas. They can use the one built into the LNB assembly.

Am in Fort Lauderdale 33305, and will let you know how it goes.
OK, from looking at The List!, Miami/Ft Lauderdale are on Western Arc 110 and 119. Huh. Your SD locals are on 119, and your HD locals are on 110. WJAN is mysteriously on 77! Your Western Arc dish should get all but WJAN, while your Eastern Arc dish will get only WJAN (and the national channels).

To preserve your DPP44 option, have the installers connect up the coaxs to 110/119 and 61.5/72 on those dishes.

OK, from looking at The List!, Miami/Ft Lauderdale are on Western Arc 110 and 119. Huh. Your SD locals are on 119, and your HD locals are on 110. WJAN is mysteriously on 77! Your Western Arc dish should get all but WJAN, while your Eastern Arc dish will get only WJAN (and the national channels).

To preserve your DPP44 option, have the installers connect up the coaxs to 110/119 and 61.5/72 on those dishes.

And give up 129? You end up with a hybrid install if you do that. I wouldn't do it and I'm not sure they are allowed to do it given the costs E* currently is incurring to move subs to nonhybrid installs. WJAN is on 119 on the western arc according to The List!. In my opinion the best combination is adding 110 for the HD locals to the eastern arc dish.

THe tech is here now and scratching his head. He says I do not need a 1000 facing East, and I cannot get an explanation that makes sense about 72 and 77. Had a full head of hair when I woke up, and have pulled half out in the past half hour. He is assembling 1000 for the West facing dish now

THe tech is here now and scratching his head. He says I do not need a 1000 facing East, and I cannot get an explanation that makes sense about 72 and 77. Had a full head of hair when I woke up, and have pulled half out in the past half hour. He is assembling 1000 for the West facing dish now

I guess he's planning to run a third line from the western arc 1000.2. That's about all I can surmise. This is normally what would be done, but you stated you only had two lines in from the satellite on the west into the living unit. Without being there it is difficult to see the layout and what's possible. There really is no need to have 72 and 77 or 61.5 for that matter if you have the western arc 110/119/129.

And give up 129? You end up with a hybrid install if you do that.
True, but what other option does the OP have to put all current channels on 3 receivers without running a 3rd line from the 1000.2?

THe tech is here now and scratching his head. He says I do not need a 1000 facing East...
I have yet to meet an installer who knows where the channels are, and what to do in oddball situations like yours! So, what's on your work order? If you agreed to pay the $95 for the 1000.4, why is he deciding he knows better? :rolleyes:

Complete debacle. Nice installer, English second language, so communication awkward, but at the end of the day, there is no way to get a third line from the Western dish to the receivers, and that is the only thing that helps. Changing the 500 to a 1000.2 means bypassing the 44 switch, so I left the set up as it was and canceled work order.

When 61.5 goes away, I will have do something. For now I will lick my wounds. FYI
they do not have the 1000.4 dish released here in Southern Florida. Thank you Laddy and Krell, you are most kind to try and help.

Complete debacle.
Unbelievable! (I mean that rhetorically.)

If you already have a DPP44, then you are good to go with the hybrid setup I mentioned above. In fact, you don't even need a 1000.2 to the west; just keep your 500 where it is. The small dish to the east needs to be replaced with a bigger 1000.4 Eastern Arc dish. Like the 1000.2, when it's connected to the DPP44, it's internal switch is disabled and you just get one satellite from each output. Make sure the orbital locations being connected are 61.5 and 72.7, and you're done... Except for the Check Switch on all 3 receivers.
When 61.5 goes away, I will have do something. For now I will lick my wounds.
61.5 is not going away. In fact, it's in line for the next new satellite, Echostar 16, which is scheduled for launch in July. At that point, it's anybody's guess what Dish will do, but at that time they will have all 32 transponders to play with, whereas they have only 27 now.

Last edited:
Complete debacle. Nice installer, English second language, so communication awkward, but at the end of the day, there is no way to get a third line from the Western dish to the receivers, and that is the only thing that helps. Changing the 500 to a 1000.2 means bypassing the 44 switch, so I left the set up as it was and canceled work order.

When 61.5 goes away, I will have do something. For now I will lick my wounds. FYI
they do not have the 1000.4 dish released here in Southern Florida. Thank you Laddy and Krell, you are most kind to try and help.

What a joke. All they have to do is request one (the 1000.4). Are you going through E* or through a local retailer? Do you know what antennas were on the work order? If it was both a 1000.2 and a 1000.4, they should have been able to get one. Ft. Myers is an eastern arc market as is Tampa-St. Pete. If you aren't using all three sets at the same time and don't need independent programming, you can either split the HDMI out from one receiver to two TVs or run HDMI to one set and component out to a second one. The sling extender will probably be out later this year as well. That way you would only need the 1000.2 for two receivers.

There are some good ones. I've always had top service (in Northern VA). Last week after calling DISH for an upgrade from 61.5/110/119, they came out, installed new hardware incl. a 1000.4. All within 3 days of calling DISH.

I know this probably doesn't matter now but hey figured i throw it in here any way in case some read it again. and besides, with 61.5 full they are launching a new one for that in July. I think E15 is for 61.5

The dish must be a 1000.2 to pick up 110W, 119W and 129W.

The DISH 1000.4 gets you 61.5W, 72.7W and 77W.

The 1K.4 Dish will be just fine with 119, 110, and 129. It is a bigger dish and besides it may make the signal better. Now a 1K.2 is a bad decision with EA installs, too small.

With regard to Saturday's mess, I strongly suspect that the tech was a Dish employee as he was in a DISH Network white van with official branding. On the phone making the order (thanks to this Forum) I asked for a 1000.2 and 1000.4 and spent forever describing my unfortunate situation. I thought that was what was coming. The 1000.2 on West arc could do two receivers by jumping the 44, and going direct from the 1000.2, and the final receiver would get the 1000.4 on the East arc, also jumping the 44. I believe this would have then provided all HD to all receivers, and the locals to two of the receivers (which was fine with me).

Frankly everyone that comes out takes a look at the location of the East facing dish, and gets queasy, it is three feet from my balcony on the 23rd floor. It was a bitch getting in, and I do not think anyone wants to fool with it, and it influences the story I get. They then suggest me ripping the place apart to get three lines in from the West facing Dish.

I just love the set-up I have now (six years with various receivers) and now that I know that the 61.5 slot may continue (thanks to Krell!) will await developments, the extra HD I am missing is not hurting me.

East facing dish photo

Attachments

• IMG00406-20100531-0756.jpg
    IMG00406-20100531-0756.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 182
The 1K.4 Dish will be just fine with 119, 110, and 129. It is a bigger dish and besides it may make the signal better. Now a 1K.2 is a bad decision with EA installs, too small.
I'm dubious about the LNB being able to see 129W given the huge difference in spacing.

1K.4 spacing 0, 10.5, 15.5 off center -11.2, 0, 4.3
1K.2 spacing 0, 9, 19 off center -9, 0, 10

Also, I think you're wrong about the size differential between the 1K.2 and 1K.4. The 1K.4 may be a little larger than the 1K.2, but not much.

As the 1K.4 uses the new LNB mount keying system, it is probably academic.

I am new on here... I am in the market that had locals launched on June 3. I havent been able to get all of them yet (apparently some of the locals stations are still in discussion with dish) but that is a separate issue. While researching for info on the locals I found this information on the new HD channels that launched in February. I had no idea about them and havent been getting them either.

I only upgraded to HD on Dish in December of 2009. The installer came out and pointed the dish at 61.5 and all has been well. After finding this post and doing more research it appears new HD channels will be coming out on 72.7. So I called Dish about getting upgraded to the new stuff. It was going to cost me 95 bucks unless I signed up for the $6 monthly service plan which lowered the installation to $15. I went ahead and scheduled all this but I have to say I am just a bit upset after being a Dish customer since 2001/2002. I mean to have a HD Dish installed pointing at 61.5 less than two months before the 72.7 launch seems a bit silly and even more silly that I have to pay for the upgrade after just paying for the upgrade to HD. Maybe its just me.

Anyway, thanks to this website for bringing this matter to my attention. I know now to come here often for updates.

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)