Statement from DISH - Not Getting the New HD?

There are a very limited number of SD QPSK channels left on 61.5. But beyond that, and in particular all the EA MPEG-4 SD channels (as well as all HD channels) will not be seen by a 301.

So what will the tech do? give me a new receiver to replace the 301D? or is there a way to get the eastern arc satellite but keep the western ones to feed my sd 301 receiver?

Ron

I called for the third time today and spoke to another technician. I complained that I am being charged $99.00 when most others that posted are only being charged $15.00. I have a home protection plan. "KevIn" said that $15.00 is the cost of a technician visit but to install a new Dish it costs $99.00. This is the same thing the other two technicians said. I currently have two Dish 500s one pointing at 110/119 and the other pointing at 61.5. The other thing is I have a 501 DVR and I said that it would not work with the Dish 1000. All three of the technicians said that it would. Using this forum as a reference made no difference.

He finally said he would give me a $20.00 credit, $10.00 for two months.

As stated in my post i'm geting the dish upgrade for free, and I don't havew to purchase anything or make any commitments to get the job done for free.

Ron

I'm still interested in Dish Network,but bad line of sight was why I went to D* instead. Eastern Arc would work for me here(I live in the Augusta,GA market),but I cannot find if Eastern Arc is available for my area. All of the information about availability is 2 years old & outdated. Also,none of my local channels are broadcast in HD by Dish network,at least not yet. Not having a definitive answer about Eastern Arc is keeping me from going to Dish.

Sorry for possibly asking a stupid question, but I currently live in zipcode 06033 (Glastonbury, CT) and have 2 500 Dishes for 61.5/110/119 . . . I am assuming one is pointed towards 61.5 and the other at 110/119. My question then is this . . . if I go and order a 1000.4 will that replace both dishes and will there be any differences in my programming and such?

So what will the tech do? give me a new receiver to replace the 301? or is there a way to get the eastern arc satellite but keep the western ones to feed my sd 301 receiver?
An excellent question. I don't think the tech will just swap out receivers unless it's on the work order and Dish is paying for an upgrade. But they could leave up your Dish 500 to service your 301, and connect up the new 1000.4 to your HD receivers.

An excellent question. I don't think the tech will just swap out receivers unless it's on the work order and Dish is paying for an upgrade. But they could leave up your Dish 500 to service your 301, and connect up the new 1000.4 to your HD receivers.

Should i call back E*and ask them what they'll do about my 301D? Also if they left everything as is and added a Dish 300 pointed at the needed eastern arc satellites and naturally tie them all together with the proper switches would that solve all my problems? That being getting all of the hd i'm paying for and still being able to operate my old mpeg2 receiver? Which way would be better the way i suggested or yours with a dish 500 and a dish 1000.4 on the roof? Truly don't want to many dishes on the roof. If possible would like to keep it at the present count of two if possible.

Ron

Last edited:
Hey Scott, I was having this issue, and it took me two hour-long phone calls to Dish Network. One was last night without me knowing all of the exact specifics on where my programming was located HD Locals, International Channels, etc. Then after using Satellite Guys as my source, I called back this morning with my facts straight so they couldn't throw me any typical CSR BS without having something to contradict them. Hahaha. I'll copy and paste my post from another thread for more details into what I said to them exactly.

"Hey Guys, I just wanted to give you all a final update on my situation:

I decided to call dish network one last time before going ahead and buying and installing the dish myself, to see if they would possibly install it for me. After talking to a couple different people and explaining the situation to them, they all told me different reasons why I couldn't make the switch to the eastern arc. I was finally transferred to someone who was VERY nice and listened intently as I explained to her that I KNEW that it was possible to get Eastern Arc in my area, and went through the technical explanations of why that was and that all I needed was to have someone come out here and set up a 1000.4 dish.

I then told her that the new channels that were added yesterday were very important to me, and if I couldn't receive them I would have to switch providers. As soon as I said that, she put me on hold for quite some time. Finally she came back to tell me that she was working around certain errors in the system that was making it a bit difficult to set up, and to keep my upgrade cost low.

She put me back on hold, and then all of a sudden I got an email from Dish Network telling me about my service request. Before I could talk to her again my phone died and I lost the call! I had to call back to confirm the date on the order. I have them set up to come here from 8am-12pm this Sunday! Two hours before the soccer game starts! It couldn't have worked out any better!

The only thing I forgot to ask about was the cost to me for the upgrade, so I had to call back AGAIN. But that was totally my fault. And it's a good thing I did, too. They were going to charge me $99 for the upgrade, even though I signed up for the protection plan (yesterday:p). Once I told the CSR about that, he put me on hold and fixed that for me. So now I'm ALL set.

I just want to thank everyone for their help with this issue, and i'm REALLY thankful that SatelliteGuys exists. :p It's the only way to keep up with everything Dish Network does."

So if you're calling to get the upgrade, make sure you know what you're talking about, and can contradict their typical lines to avoid upgrading you. For example, they told me at one point that my previous installer had said that there was no line of sight for EA when they originally installed everything. I had to explain to the rep that my original HD install was 2 or 3 years ago, and that EA was introduced last year. :rolleyes: Oh, and make sure you sign up for the protection plan BEFORE you call to avoid the $99 fee.

Good luck everyone!

I am going to hav e to make this call also. I would think that the upgrade should be for free since we actually need it to receive programing we are already paying for . It's not like you are doing an upgrade becuase you want to have a better receiver etc. It is only to be able to receive what you are already paying for.

Ross

I'm hoping I can get some help with my question... I live in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton PA market. I have the 2 dish setup. I believe I get my locals from 61.5. An example of one of my locals would be WNEP. I checked the Lyngsat site and it also has all my locals listed as being on 119 as well. So can I just re-point the 61.5 dish to get these new channels and not lose anything or am I missing something here? Thanks!

Sorry for possibly asking a stupid question, but I currently live in zipcode 06033 (Glastonbury, CT) and have 2 500 Dishes for 61.5/110/119 . . . I am assuming one is pointed towards 61.5 and the other at 110/119. My question then is this . . . if I go and order a 1000.4 will that replace both dishes and will there be any differences in my programming and such?

CJWCT,

An Eastern arc dish will replace the two other Dishes. The question becomes what local market are you in. I don't know if your locals are available from the Eastern Arc Dish, though.

Secondly, the Eastern Arc Dish will not work unless all of your receivers (if you have more than one) are VIP receivers. If you have any SD receivers you will NOT be able to use the Eastern Arc Dish.

John

If you are one of the Dish Network customers who is not getting the 9 new HD channels because you are getting your HD from 61.5 then you need to call DISH Network for an upgrade.

SatelliteGuys.US has just received the following official statement from DISH Network regarding this issue...

When you call please post your results here to SatelliteGuys as we want to make sure that all members get a fair deal from DISH Network.
The number for Dish Network is 1-800-333-DISH.

I have updated this post and added a PDF which was sent to retailers which explans what channels were added, where to find them and what packages they are part of. Enjoy!

Thanks!

How are you going to make sure that "all members get a fair deal from Dish Network"?

So what are we supposed to do?

We are on 110/119/61.5 as everyone in the area is. We have a 722/322/311 - two of the receivers won't work on EA.

Will Dish upgrade them for free without making us sign a new contract? If not, it's another reason to cancel Dish once we get hit with the price increase.

I'm hoping I can get some help with my question... I live in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton PA market. I have the 2 dish setup. I believe I get my locals from 61.5. An example of one of my locals would be WNEP. I checked the Lyngsat site and it also has all my locals listed as being on 119 as well. So can I just re-point the 61.5 dish to get these new channels and not lose anything or am I missing something here? Thanks!

If you move the 61.5 dish to 129 (assuming you can see 129), you'll lose your HD locals (assuming you're in the part of the market that can get them.)

This is terrible. I am on an online chat with Dish, the CSR is completely unprofessional (types like a 13 year old on AIM) and is telling me that I chose my receivers and got the best set up for my area at the time, and the only way that I can get the new channels is to pay to upgrade all my receivers to HD ones. He's telling me that Dish "doesn't just give out random receivers" and that it's my fault I don't get the channels because I "picked out my receivers."

I also asked to be transferred to a supervisor and he is not transferring me.

This is about my last straw with this company.

Spoke with a supervisor and he'll only give an upgrade to EA with a new 2-year contract. Not interested!

Emailing CEO as the last CSR experience was one of the worst I have ever had. Hopefully they are more understanding.

I am going to hav e to make this call also. I would think that the upgrade should be for free since we actually need it to receive programing we are already paying for . It's not like you are doing an upgrade becuase you want to have a better receiver etc. It is only to be able to receive what you are already paying for.

Ross

My thoughts exactly and it got me no where. As a 6 day old customer, Dish expects you to pay $15 for the service call. It's not the $15 as much as the principal I am fighting. I have already paid $100 for the 2 HD DVR, $54 for the OTA module plus 2 month of service. See my entire conversation I had with 2 Dish customer service people here.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/202700-new-hd-up-20.html#post2105778

Last edited:
My currrent set up: 110/119 and a 61.5. Dish's in seperate locations due to trees. Boston locals on 61.5 so either I must switch to EA which I assume is a go since I already can see 61.5 or add a 1000.2 in place of the Dish 500. I have not seen an EA set ups in my area, don't know why maybe it's????? In any event the following is my position and how I intend on dealing with this issue:

1. We should not have to pay anything for Dish to "fix" things so we can receive any channels they add to our respective packages.
2. I do not look at this as an upgrade in the sense that I want to move from a VIP722 to a VIP 722K or upgrade my 322 duo SD to an equivalent HD box. Those are personal choices and I don't have a problem paying a nominal fee if it is a "discretionary upgrade"
3. If when I call I end up having to pay any amount of money (I have DHPP) to resolve this issue I will say thank you try again, and maybe again.
4. If I am still going to be required to pay I will call my retailer since I trust him and would rather put the money in his pocket than a random tech who may or may not have a clue as to what he is doing.

Ross

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)