Statement from DISH - Not Getting the New HD?

How would I go about doing this? My front 500 on on the roof @ 110/119 and the installer left an extra LNB up there....I'm not sure what kind of shape it's in now. And my rear dish is pointing at 61.5 - I *think* it's a 500, but I guess it could be a 300. If it's a 500 and I can get my hands on an extension ladder, how would I configure this? I think the 61.5 goes into the 110/119 LNB, which goes into my only receiver, a ViP 722.
You can't do 4 satellites, 110/119 plus 72/61.5 without a rather pricey DPP44 switch. But why would you want to? I am guessing you have 61.5 for HD locals. What Dish will probably do for you (at little or no cost) is to upgrade your 61.5 dish to an EA dish 1000.4.

Well, I guess I'll add my story to the on-going thread...

I just used live chat to talk with Dish and said my one receiver (Dish 625) would need an upgrade to a VIP receiver and thus require a new 24 month contract. (ugh)

I also need a new dish and the technician charge will cost $95 unless I pay for DHPP ($6/month) in which it will be reduced to $15.

I'm very happy to be out of a contract so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'll probably try to find a cheap used VIP receiver and then perform the switch.

Oh, and I also asked about VIP 922 eligibility if I "upgrade" now and she wasn't sure so I'm also worried that I upgrade my equipment now I won't be eligible for the 922 in the near future...

I just used live chat to talk with Dish and said my one receiver (Dish 625) would need an upgrade to a VIP receiver and thus require a new 24 month contract.
OK, I'll bite. Why do you care about the new HD channels if you are happy with your 625?

You can't do 4 satellites, 110/119 plus 72/61.5 without a rather pricey DPP44 switch. But why would you want to? I am guessing you have 61.5 for HD locals. What Dish will probably do for you (at little or no cost) is to upgrade your 61.5 dish to an EA dish 1000.4.

Yep, I was lucky they used a DPP44 when they upgraded me to HD a couple of years ago. Told the installer I didn't want to have to run a second coax to the new 722 and that's what he gave me. If I currently had all VIP receivers I'd go for the EA upgrade. But with a couple of 508's in the mix the 110/119/61.5/72.7 hybrid is working well.

brettb, I'd think you'd just be able to just repoint your D500 to 61.5/72.7 - and then your wing dish to 77. That is unless your locals are only on 110.

Looks like Executive Resolutions finally came through for me - and I'm in Buffalo, a market said not to be able to receive the new channels. They said they'll set up a 2nd dish for the SD locals/guide data. Sent a response asking what they'll set up - hoping it's EA with a wing at 110 as opposed to WA with a wing at 61.5 - as I don't know if signal on 129 here will be too good.

Looks like Executive Resolutions finally came through for me - and I'm in Buffalo, a market said not to be able to receive the new channels. They said they'll set up a 2nd dish for the SD locals/guide data. Sent a response asking what they'll set up - hoping it's EA with a wing at 110 as opposed to WA with a wing at 61.5 - as I don't know if signal on 129 here will be too good.

The Buffalo SD locals are on 110 and easy to get in Buffalo. The HD locals on 61.5 are poor. 129 doesn't have the Buffalo locals.

Yep. Dish came through finally as well - they're upgrading me to EA - replacing two receivers and my D500 at 61.5 to a 1000.4, plus keeping the D500 at 110 for SD locals. Just hope the installer actually has a 1000.4.

As I have mentioned before. They did the western arc with my wing at 61.5 and I am perfectly happy. The signal from 129 is higher than my 61.5 and just as high as my 110 and 119. As long as you have LOS from 129 I would not rule it out.

I'd be willing to try it but they told me they're giving me EA, which is perfectly fine with me. They're going to leave a wing at 119 for SD locals. Although I'm reading here that Buffalo SD locals have been uplinked on EA - so the wing probably won't be needed for very long.

I hope you have better luck than I have. I got the same story from Dish when the new HD first arrived. I have 110/119 and 61.5 wing dish. I do not think I can get 129 (big hill to the west of me. I know you need 110 for Buffalo SD locals to get local guide information and 61.5 for buffalo HD locals. They told me that they would install a 1000.4 EA for me. Then the Intertec installer showed up and had no clue why he was there (equipment problems?) I explained to him all about the new HD channels and the EA Dish. He called his boss and they do not even have any EA dishes. The word I got is that a EA will not work in western NY. Not to sure of the accuracy of that statement. The latest word (April 8, 2010) from Intertec regarding a installation plan in western New York state to recieve the new HD I have is......

"They do have a plan but the dates have not been specified yet. It may be a few months or even into the fall. That is all the info I have right now."

I have been recieving the new HD since it came out by installing a wing dish pointed at 72.7 myself. Not the greatest signal, but it works. I have been thinking of trying a 2nd LNB on my 61.5 dish 500 dish and seeing if that improves the signal strength. Odds are I would be better off with the 2 wing dish setup.

Good luck, let me know how this works out for you.

P.S. I am located out in the Batavia area. I am in the Buffalo DMA.

Last edited:
The confirmation email I got said they will be changing two receivers and the dish, all accurate. Hopefully this translates to the work order. I am going to call Intertech beforehand and make sure they actually have everything.

I hope you have better luck than I have. I got the same story from Dish when the new HD first arrived. I have 110/119 and 61.5 wing dish. I do not think I can get 129 (big hill to the west of me. I know you need 110 for Buffalo SD locals to get local guide information and 61.5 for buffalo HD locals. They told me that they would install a 1000.4 EA for me. Then the Intertec installer showed up and had no clue why he was there (equipment problems?) I explained to him all about the new HD channels and the EA Dish. He called his boss and they do not even have any EA dishes. The word I got is that a EA will not work in western NY. Not to sure of the accuracy of that statement. The latest word (April 8, 2010) from Intertec regarding a installation plan in western New York state to recieve the new HD I have is......

"They do have a plan but the dates have not been specified yet. It may be a few months or even into the fall. That is all the info I have right now."

I have been recieving the new HD since it came out by installing a wing dish pointed at 72.7 myself. Not the greatest signal, but it works. I have been thinking of trying a 2nd LNB on my 61.5 dish 500 dish and seeing if that improves the signal strength. Odds are I would be better off with the 2 wing dish setup.

Good luck, let me know how this works out for you.

P.S. I am located out in the Batavia area. I am in the Buffalo DMA.

Based on the recent uplink report I would think they plan on rolling out EA dishes in areas like yours and ours soon. With the sd locals being uplinked to EA sats it should be happening sooner rather than later and the channels should be turned on soon. I know people in the Albany DMA have had trouble getting EA dishes so far, but that should change soon I would think.

(BTW say hello to Brock Yates and the Lovely Pamela for us would ya?:D Tell him Car And Driver aint the same without him!!)

I was told they would be bringing the EA dish when I scheduled and when Intertech called to confirm I asked if it was the 1000.4 the girl said yes but when he got here he had the 1000.2. At that time he said they only had a few 1000.2 dishes and they did not have and could not get the 1000.4 That was 2/28.

Well, they came out yesterday and didn't have the 1000.4 even though Intertech said they did when I called.

The tech pointed the old 110/119 dish at 72.7 so now I'm on 61.5 and 72.7 which is giving me everything. I was concerned that I'll eventually need 77 but he said if that does end up the case to call Intertech and they'll swap it...we'll see. At least for now I'm getting all the channels.

I asked about a wing at 110 and he said as of Thursday the SD locals will be mirrored on 61.5, which is consistent with what I've read here...I can live without the two channels for a few days.

Well obviously, but I can't blame him - if they had them he'd have done that. But he said Intertech doesn't have any yet, which means nobody in the area has them yet. Chances are when I called Intertech to confirm and ask if I was getting one, they just pulled up the work order that said "1000.4" and said yes without actually knowing if they had them.

Just the same, you are not getting all that you could, and they know it. They owe you a 1000.4 and they should make it happen without you needing to call them later. They got paid to install a new dish and all they did was re-point an existing dish.

Seems like it's not the retailer's fault for not having the 1000.4's though - he said Intertech has been trying to get them for awhile now and Dish hasn't given them any.

I'd like to get the 1000.4 and will pursue the issue later but right now there's nothing I nor they can do - if they don't have a 1000.4 they obviously can't install it.

They also upgraded the rest of the receivers that weren't HD.

Not that I feel like sticking up for this particular retailer, they originally had the install scheduled for 8-12, called me 7:00 the night before saying it would be 12-5 instead. That was fine. Had some plans but was able to change them. Got a call at 1:30 that day saying it would be 6:30. 6:30 came and went and their office was closed and I had no way of finding out if they were coming or not. Got a call from someone at 7:30 saying they'd be there in a half hour, and they didn't show up until 9. Was almost midnight by the time he was done - almost was going to cancel and reschedule for another day but I had already canceled my plans for that night (canceled plans twice that day, for afternoon and night) and didn't want to go through the whole ordeal again. I think for that inconvenience alone a 1000.4 shouldn't be too much to ask for.

i find it interesting the 61.5 and 72.7 provides all your programming.

That is the case for several markets I think. I believe at the moment 77w is only carrying local channels (on CONUS beams) for certain EA markets. After QUETZSAT-1 is launched next year at 77w, I think you will see that slot carry a lot more local markets on spot beams and perhaps some national programming on CONUS beams as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)