Target will announce BR support tomorrow

I suspect if BD+ does not slow or stop the theft of movies and putting them on the internet or on pirate discs, we'll see fewer titles released. Studios will decide there's more to lose by distributing in high def than there is to gain. And it might take years to change their minds.

SD? On an HD medium? Why do I suspect we haven't heard the whole story? :rolleyes:

Why do I suspect we haven't heard the whole story? :rolleyes:
Beats me.
Keep in mind that next Profile 2.0 (BD-Live) by itself seems to be optional.
Hence, things like HD PiP and networking might never be mandatory in BD-land.

Guessing how many CE manufacturers will implement non-mandatory features - and how many studio releases use it - I'll leave to you.

Diogen.

No, HD won't be stopped. Just a question of the medium.

Regarding PiP- If the inset picture is say, 640x480, that yields a picture about 45% of the height of a 1920x1080 display. That seems in line with the PiP I've seen. Displaying the inset picture in HD would require downscaling anyway, since anything smaller than the full screen size isn't HD anyway. So PiP insets, or maybe even PoPs, are SD anyway. That leaves the question: Will it be widescreen or narrowscreen SD PiP/PoP?

So a PiP from HD DVD is SD also.

So a PiP from HD DVD is SD also.
Exactly.
But BD supporters were always bragging about the upcomming (Profile 1.1)ability to switch between main video stream and PiP stream without loosing any quality when fullscreen, i.e. PiP streams would be 1080p (exactly what JoeSp claimed).

As it turns out, this will be optional, i.e. by November some of the new BD players (and some older ones that can be firmware upgraded) will be capable of what HD does for a while already.

Diogen.

It appears Sony is selling players at a profit, as well as BDs- and may be making money on PS3s now.
"Sony currently incurs an estimated $200 loss on every PlayStation 3 sold, but an exec from the firm said Thursday that loss could be eliminated this fiscal year."
"During a conference call Sony executive VP Nobuyuki Oneda said the firm may be able to break even on PS3 hardware this fiscal year, which ends in March 2008."
From here.

And I think there is an accumulated loss of about $2B since PS3 was introduced.

Diogen.

Diogen, I am not sure that Sony is currently losing $200 per console. They have dropped the emotion chip, the blue diode cost have dropped below $10 each and the cost of the cell chip has also dropped. Not to include the drop in memory prices. It is possible that Sony might not only break even but might start showing a profit for this fiscal year. Something M$ not only has yet to do but continues to dig a hole in their deep pockets (design flaw costing 1.3 billion in extended warranty and repairs).

I am not sure that Toshiba is not also losing money on their low cost players simply because they do not own either a movie studio or a gaming studio to recoup losses on their units if they do not become the HD movie standard - and soon. Once those Chinese players hit the market there is not going to be alot of profit for anyone (this includes both HD-DVD and BD). Sony just has more divisions to make money with. Add this to increasing BD movie sales and (finally) releases of some good games and this XMAS might just be very kind to Sony.

There is always the question of how most folks are using their PS3's. Well if the numbers of standalones are as the HD-DVD crowd says then there must be at least 20 to 30% of PS3s sold being used as BD players. So far mine is seeing BD movies 80% of the time and gaming 20%. If Sony can somehow get the price down to say $449 for XMAS (lower of course would be better) I could see alot of PS3s being purchased as BD players first and gaming units second.

As for PIP and interactive features like online access during movie playback, the HD-DVD product seems to be fully flushed out even if every title does not take advantage. Since Toshiba is already selling at a basement price where do they go now?

The BD crowd however can lower the cost on current players to compete with Toshiba's lower costs and bring out newer models that can take advantage of newer features being offered. This is usually how most new product models advance in the market. I can see a very low cost player the does BD and PCM thru analog and then a BD player with HDMI and internet access allowing the player to be fully fuctioning. This just broadens BDs market reach and allows for diversifing their product and profit lines.

My hat is off to Toshiba for jumpstarting the ride down the lowcost lane and for pushing PQ and features. This has pushed BD to move in the same direction quicker then they wanted but they still are making money. In the end it is the consumer who is going to be able to get into the HD movie market quicker and for a lower cost sooner. Thank you Toshiba.

Diogen, I am not sure that Sony is currently losing $200 per console.
I'm not sure either.
They have dropped the emotion chip, the blue diode cost have dropped below $10 each and the cost of the cell chip has also dropped. Not to include the drop in memory prices. It is possible that Sony might not only break even but might start showing a profit for this fiscal year.
And this you consider proof? Did you read the link:
"...Sony executive VP Nobuyuki Oneda said the firm may be able to break even on PS3 hardware this fiscal year, which ends in March 2008."
Do you think he was misquoted or do you think you know more about Sony business than him?
Something M$ not only has yet to do but continues to dig a hole in their deep pockets (design flaw costing 1.3 billion in extended warranty and repairs).
A BD fan needs something to cheer about...
MS has 5 times as much money as Sony does. Even Nintendo has a bigger market cap than Sony...
I am not sure that Toshiba is not also losing money...
... on HD players. I have no doubts they do. But they had a nice quarter.
If Sony can somehow get the price down to say $449 for XMAS...
... and Wii will be $199 and 360 $299, Sony will have another sh!tty quarter.

Diogen.

As for PIP and interactive features like online access during movie playback, the HD-DVD product seems to be fully flushed out...
What does this mean?
Since Toshiba is already selling at a basement price where do they go now?
Lower. You have a problem with that?
The BD crowd however can lower the cost on current players to compete with Toshiba's lower...
And? Why don't they do it?
This is usually how most new product models advance in the market.
Are you teaching Business 101? Save your time, and mine.
I can see a very low cost player...
in your crystall ball?
...the does BD and PCM thru analog and then a BD player with HDMI and internet access...
there is a good chance BD players will never have ethernet mandatory.
What isn't mandatory isn't normally in low end models. Business 101.
This has pushed BD to move in the same direction quicker then they wanted but they still are making money.
Who does? Sony doesn't.

Diogen.

False alarm: Target's not giving up on HD DVD

Posted Jul 28th 2007 5:21PM by Paul Miller
Filed under: HDTV
As noted on Engadget HD the other day, and further clarified by Major Nelson this morning, that story about Target going exclusively Blu-ray was false. Turns out they're just installing Blu-ray aisle end caps, thanks to a new promotional deal with Sony, but HD DVD isn't going anywhere. Hopefully you haven't chucked out your HD DVD collection just yet in a concession to defeat at Thursday's "news," but if you have it's always good to know you can score replacements at your local Target, just like always.
Source: Engadget.com

Let's sit back and watch now as all of the HD-DVD fanboys celebrate this as a huge ''victory''...the very same HD-DVD fanboys that originally said Target's place in this war was ''meaningless''.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)