Target will announce BR support tomorrow

Oh sorry, I used the monthly number instead of the weekly :rolleyes:

Heres some Nielson numbers if you like numbers. The result is all the same. BR caught and surpassed HDDVD in video sales, and this will continue to get better for BR.

WE: BD-61% HDD-39% YTD: BD-67% HDD-33% SI: BD-60% HDD-40%

Everytime I look at the numbers I see HDDVD increasing while BD is not.
Really there is no debate here because both formats are battling over 1% of movie disc sales. 0.6% of movie sales is kind of embarrasing for BD for as many BD players are out there. Oh, this isn't a good time to include the PS3 as a BD player?

I think it's more a case BD supporter Blu blinders. Latest numbers are;

Week: 51.98 BD 48.02 HDDVD
Month: 62.46 BD 37.54 HDDVD
Year: 62.15 BD 37.85 HDDVD

Titles: 284 BD 275 HDDVD
Studios: 25 BD 29 HDDVD

DVD Empire - HD DVDs, HD DVD Movie, HD DVD Movies, HD DVD Videos

DVDEmpire reports their own sales, not representative of nationwide sales. IOW, their numbers are worthless. The best numbers we have are from Nielson, which consistently show Blu-ray outselling HD DVD 2 to 1 YTD.

Good thing Toshiba makes good laptops.

No one questions that Target sells HD DVD players online. They just don't sell them in their stores.

Actually, they don't dispute the main point of the story- that Target brick and mortar stores will be selling Blu-ray players, but not HD DVD players.
That is a bigger factor than people realize. There are (3) "crowds" of shoppers, IMO. In-store only, web-only (or as much as possible), or split between the two. Target is targeting (no pun intended) the in-store shoppers of theirs so what is available on their website means nothing. They carry many things online-only that they don't carry in-store.

One week in July in which HD-DVD has 14 releases and BD has 3 and they still can not top BD. Heck for the month of July HD-DVD will dish up over 40 new titles and BD will be lucky to see 15 and yet BD will keep their 2 to 1 ratio? I don't think it is BD blinders here folks?

HD-DVD group says that HD-DVD sales are better than Blu-Ray?? I'm shocked :eek:

about as much as when Sony puts out their bogus stats

Attachments

• hddvd_creeping_up.jpg
    hddvd_creeping_up.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 96
I see noone wants to touch the 4mil+ ps3's out there. HDDVD loves to brag on their hardware sales because they can shoot down sony's ps3 claims because there is not hard data.

Movie sales are the proof. You are the one that needs to lay off the punch.

I see noone wants to touch the 4mil+ ps3's out there.
What percentage of PS3s were bought to be DVD players and not game consoles ?? IMO, they kinda sorta don't count. If someone buys a dedicated high-def DVD player, odds are real good that they either buy or rent high-def DVDs. That's simply not true with PS3s.

Note: I am neither pro nor con towards either format. I'll wait 'til one wins and I don't give a rat's ass which it is... :D The free market will decide and it won't be based on technical merit either.

I see noone wants to touch the 4mil+ ps3's out there. HDDVD loves to brag on their hardware sales because they can shoot down sony's ps3 claims because there is not hard data.

Movie sales are the proof. You are the one that needs to lay off the punch.
The "PS3 as a Trojan Horse" campaign was suppose to fasttrack the introduction and takeoff of a new technology for consumers: the PlayStation name will create enough demand to compress the "dead" period between zero and high-volume production of BD components. CE companies in the Blu-ray camp will benefit from the drastic price drop (triggered by the high volume production of the blue laser, for example) and soon their standalones will drop below the PS3 in price. PS3, having served it "trojan" role, will start selling primaraly based on its merits as a gaming console and won't need any drastic discounts. This was the BD plan as I see it.

I don't think it worked out quite as planned.

First, Toshiba's player was introduced at $500 what forced Sony drop the price of the PS3 before it was released.
Second, PS3 wasn't quite as a smashing success at introduction as planned (mostly due to Wii).
Third, "PS3 as a BD player" crowd seems to be smaller than anticipated (have the total number of BD disks sold surpassed the total number of BD players, PS3 included?)
Forth, I think BD companies underestimated MS' willingness to go the whole nine yards and not let them have a homerun in the first 6 months.

And all this with total hidef disks sales less than 1% of DVDs, i.e. rounding error on most players' balance sheets. When this number starts going up (and not the 2:1 or 3:1 between BD and HD) then we might have something to cheer about.

The longer this impasse lasts, the more bleeding. And I don't think anybody is bleeding more than Sony. Will it pay off in the end? Time will tell.
I think the outlook today is less rosy than it was a year ago.

Diogen.

It appears Sony is selling players at a profit, as well as BDs- and may be making money on PS3s now. Toshiba loses money on every player. And seems to be paying Universal. And doesn't actually sell movies.

I believe in retrospect from a couple of years from now, people will wonder how anyone could have possibly thought HD DVD had a chance. And 2 years after that, few will even remember the name.

It appears Sony is selling players at a profit, as well as BDs- and may be making money on PS3s now.
Players - probably, but not PS3, I think. Not yet, at least. But we'll never know for sure.
Toshiba loses money on every player. And seems to be paying Universal. And doesn't actually sell movies.
If we go in the speculation game, doesn't Sony cap all its BD friends' replication expenses? Blue laser supplies?
I believe in retrospect from a couple of years from now, people will wonder how anyone could have possibly thought HD DVD had a chance. And 2 years after that, few will even remember the name.
Could well be.
But on the other hand, I haven't noticed that many people have forgotten what Betamax stands for and its fate. And who the creator was. And wasn't everybody and his dog convinced Beta is better?
And this happened what... some 20+ years ago?

Somebody will lose. Maybe both will. Hard to imagine both can win.
And the longer the HD side can keep the bleeding of its opponent (Sony), the less chances this war will ever produce a winner.
Even BD board members start hedging their bets: LG, Samsung.

For BD to succeed, HD has to be killed. Soon. And as long as MS is in that camp, it will be hard.
Sony blew its chance to keep MS neutral by picking BD+ and BD-J.
That was declaration of war. Let's see whether they have what it takes to win it.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)